BMW F800 Forum banner

mirror setup for stock

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Buzzz 
#1 ·
I can't add extensions due to the tight filtering I do every day (when I clear cars, there's often a mere inch between my mirror and the cars on either side). But just a little bit more width, and I could have better vision. Plus, my left mirror had some slop in it, causing it to fold in a tiny bit which would take away any useful rear view on that side.

Spur of the moment, and a bottle of superglue. I pushed the mirror arms out - in their center position, there's a bit of play, and I moved them to the furthest extension of that center position (does that make sense? I didn't fold them in or out). That gave a couple more millimeters of extension. I then dribbled superglue into the joint so that the "best possible stock mirror arm position" would be stuck in place.

And lo and behold, it worked. I've improved my rearview vision and can even get little peeks behind me if I move a bit out of the way. The downside is, my mirrors are stuck in position. Can't fold them anymore. Oh well, at least I can see (and I never fold my mirrors anyways).

Just a little trick for those who can't use mirror extensions and don't mind permanently locking their mirrors in place.

Reactions: Flook and Daboo
#3 ·
I have same issue with my right hand mirror. in the wind the cover got caught on the mirror and now it is rather loose. So any speed over 40 MPH and it folds in fully. Looks like I might go for the superglue option this evening as I dont see what i can do other than than or replacing the unit.

#8 ·
Prototype.
At first, it's not meant as a spacer, but the base thickness could be increased to turn it into a spacer.
The mirror arm is locked in position (there is a click)
The downside is, that you can't fold the mirror to the rear. However, you can still fold it reverse.

#12 ·
I was searching around online today for a way to modify my headlight dustcap (because the LED bulb I purchased is too long for the housing and I need a bit more room) and came upon a f800riders thread about a guy that designed and printed a mod to the dustcap.
Here's the thread: https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/259178-F800GT-full-LED-headlights-system

Anyways, he used https://www.shapeways.com/ as a platform to sell the parts he 3D designed. The site prints it and ships it to the party interested in getting such a part. I'm sure there's got to be more sites out there like Shapeways, but that's at least one way you can get your product out there without giving away your 3D model..

#13 ·
Thanks for the hint. However, I already know Shapeways. But I'm not looking for a way to "sell" it.
I just want to share it with people from the community, would they print it themselves or ask someone to print for them (I could print a few for sure and sell them without benefit). I just don't want someone to steal the design a print those to make benefit.
Not easy...

#14 ·
Hi Laurent,

I had a similar problem with some models I made public for a KTM.

If you trust the community, rather than post the .stl files publicly (never post the native model file!) maybe ask members to contact you via PM & email them the .stl's directly. That way you have some control over distribution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.