BMW F800 Forum banner

Which Bar Riser For St

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  bicyclist 
#1 ·
I am trying to improve my riding position by installing new handle bar risers.

I am 6 feet tall and my left arm does not allow me any longer to have the current riding position. After 30-40 Km of riding my left elbow is aching.

While in the highway on my way to work I tried to simulate on my ST a more upright position and found that a 30mm up and 10 to 15mm rear (Pointing me) will do me fine.

Do you have any suggestions? (What kind of bars, which brand, where to find [Europe preferable due to stupid custom costs], problems that I might phase [brake and clutch lines], other…)

I know that I am dragging a very old-time forum discussion and please accept my apologies for that.

The thing is that I really love my ST but if I cannot make it to short out this issue I might sell my beauty because my F*****G arm hearts!!!!!

#6 ·
Dr. KC, have you checked MV, I think that they are a German company so that ought to avoid the customs issues, not sure if they have the size that you are looking for though. I have the US version (I'm sure they are imported). Not sure of any other European manufacturers. You might also inquire from Nippy Norman's - a British parts outfit - they might at least steer you in the right direction............

#7 ·
I have bar riser/pull backs that work exceedingly well. I'm taller in the saddle and there is a nice bend to my arms that remove the stress of an overly extended reach. My shop had me sit on my bike and sort of measured me and recommended these for me. I'm happy with this addition.:)

Reactions: Dr.KC
#8 ·
I'm happy with this addition.:)
I thing that they worth their money ($104.99) and the design makes a high quality much with the rest of the bike.

I found also The New MV Tube Stile Handlebar Adapter (Pic. 1 and 2) for 110.00 Euros and the older once, fully adjustable (Pic. 3 and 4) for 125.00 Euros.

My concern though is if I shall need any extension for the clutch string or any tubing rearrangement.

Shrosa, did you have to make any modification in order to install your risers?

Attachments

#13 ·
Kostas,

Here a suggestion that I got on the Pashnit Forum when posing a question regarding riding differences between the 1200 GS and this 800ST. This might be an option for you, and I'm sure Gail the Sales Manager of the Modesto BMW dealership would not mind answering further questions you may have.

"If you prefer a more upright seating position, ask your local dealer about butting a handlebar from an R1200R on to your new F800ST. This will require new Brake, throttle and clutch lines, but is an awesome modification that about 50% of our customers have purchased. If your local dealer needs specs, have them give me a call." Gail can be reached at 209-524-2955.

I hope this might help:)

Ray

#14 ·
[
"If you prefer a more upright seating position, ask your local dealer about butting a handlebar from an R1200R on to your new F800ST.

This will require new Brake, throttle and clutch lines, but is an awesome modification
Ray you are the man!!!

That's exactly what my local BMW dealer said to me last week. The R1200R bars are the best choice for my ST.

He also mentioned that we might need to change the clutch, throttle and brake lines and I expect them to give me an overall prise for the particular mod. During my visit to my dealer I had the chance to ride a black R1200R with only OBC and ABS. What a bike….what a bike….I am so madly in love with it…..I mean it is amazing! I wish I had 13.600 Euros to buy it with only the ABS, OBC and Center stand.
Nothing more - nothing less.

Thanks again Ray for your assistance. :)

#16 ·
Hi, it might seem a bit obvious and maybe you've already tried it, but slackening off the bolts that hold the handlebars allows you to twist the bars up and back a little. This was enough to make a big difference in the aching to my throttle hand/wrist and it saves a lot of cash! Plus it doesn't need any tinkering with the cables etc. It has, however, seemed to increase the wind blast on my shoulders, so now I'm wondering about a wind deflector for my screen like the laminar lip... hmmm maybe it hasn't saved that much money after all then!

#17 ·
QUOTE=Safricanrider;185389]
Let me know if and when you have that done, as it's an option that I would seriously entertain.
[/QUOTE]

Ray i will keep you informed. My financial issues are not going that well currently, (rent new house....and bought new furniture...so you understand) so i have to be patient!!! It looks though the best option!

Hi, it might seem a bit obvious and maybe you've already tried it, but slackening off the bolts that hold the handlebars allows you to twist the bars up and back a little.
Maybe it sounds stupid, but I never thought about that. I will give it a try. For sure though I need something to bring the bars in a much higher position.

Thanks though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.