Stopping the cold wind on the hands - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1. Joined
    Dec 2007

Jump to Comments

Stopping the cold wind on the hands

39 Comments by steve n rose Published on 06-08-14 04:27 PM
    I've been doing a bit of fiddling with the ST to try and stop a bit of the wind chill on the gloves. It started off with a bit of stiff clear plastic, namely a box from around venetian blinds(high tech, this project), some wire(for stiffening) and some gaffer tape. What I was looking at was fairing a bit of the gap between the fairing and the windscreen. I had to take into consideration looks, clearance from levers at full lock and effectiveness.
    Once I had a shape I was happy with I tried it for quite a while to see if it helped(and I was short of money to waste it on any good stuff). Earlier this year I shouted myself a bit of 3mm poly carbonate sheet for my birthday and set to work. As I had never worked with the stuff it was a bit of trial and error (and lots of bubbling ).
    After making 3 sets I had a pair that I was happy with. I purchased some self-adhesive velco to hold them on and they work great. They don't keep all the water and moisture off, but they do stop a lot of the wind chill, and the heated grips are more effective.

They don't interfere with the levers at full lock (still got room for my big hands in BMW Allrounder gloves).

I left a small area open at the front to allow air to flow on the inside of the deflectors, stooping a lot of the runoff from blowing onto the gloves.

Even riding through heavy fog the gloves just get damp on the surface. Here's the gloves after 15 minutes of light misty rain.

The gloves still get wet in heavy rain, but this is mostly due to water blowing off the back of the deflectors and screen, but the wind chill is stopped.
    I can ride with my summer mesh gloves down to 20C comfortably and, with the Allrounders, get to 10C without the heated grips. I'm happy with them.

Oh, it also keeps a lot of the turbulent wind coming around the back of the screen, but saying that, takes some of the wind pressure off the chest and puts a bit more on the wrists. Might have to talk Rose into some bar risers .
    As of Mon, 1st Feb 2016- ;
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery,
    Today is a gift (that's why it's called "the present")
    #1 tip I ride by: Ride as though you're invisible, not invincible
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless

2. Thanks IanA, Jono67, Daboo thanked for this post
    Likes TheMeteor, nicko, DWS, Discflight, woody59 and 4 others liked this post
  3. Total Comments 39

Comments

Elgin, Scotland ST404 is offline Volunteer Moderator - GT

Real Name
    Pat
    04-08-19
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Steve they look like a brilliant solution to the problem. In fact what you have done is very similar to what Givi have done with their GT touring screen.

5. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Mike
    01-25-16
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Nice work! I'm a bit surprised there is not an aftermarket supplier for wind deflectors, like the Goldwing boys get.

7. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    3 Days Ago
    Well done, mate! They look almost production-ready. When can I put my order in?
    3mm polycarbonate can be cold formed but as I guess you have already found out, it needs substantial clamping as in a sheetmetal folding device to keep it all straight. Hot bending is an artform, innit?
    You are welcome anytime to check out the bar risers on my ST if you want to try-before-you-buy.
    cheers,IanA

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Congrats, your outcome looks a bit tidier than what I normally attempt. Being clear, they are less noticeable. Good show!

11. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Ian,

I still have the other 2 sets I made sitting in the shed if you'd like to try a set. They're a little bit different shape but just about as effective. All you need to fit them is about $3 of Velcro from Clark Rubber for on the fairing and screen.
    I even wind-tunnel tested them using the wind generator visible in the background of the one photo in the shed .
    The problem with cold forming is that it has to be bent in straight lines and as you'll notice in a couple of the photos, I had to create a compound curve to match the fairing curve at the base of the deflector. With heat forming, it is a fine line between not hot enough and too hot. When I had it clamped for a bend I would watch for the first indication of deformation of the surface and take the heat source away.

With my comprehensive testing regime (that is travelling at speed, holding the hand vertical, then moving it outwards or upwards and seeing where the wind pressure increases) the airflow is pushed out to about 1/2inch from the end of the bar weight and to a position just above the bend of the elbow. I noticed during the early stages that if the deflectors were much higher there would be increased buffeting around the helmet.

At least, at -1C, the heated grips are more effective than they were without the deflectors in place. Riding on these wet winter days are now a little bit more enjoyable .
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless 

13. Thanks IanA, Flook thanked for this post

Real Name
    Trevor :-)
    05-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    You big Northen softie

FYI I found the GT slightly better thyan the ST but I must admit interesting idea.

BTW Where you been?
    What's it like to bike around NZ? https://picasaweb.google.com/1043074...59485/BikeTrip 

Real Name
    Peter
    09-04-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Very neat job indeed.

16. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    You big Northen softie

FYI I found the GT slightly better thyan the ST but I must admit interesting idea.

BTW Where you been?
    I've been ticking away on the Word Association thread, but before that, the computer died and we were just waiting to have enough money to buy a new one.
    Then I had to work out how to attach photos as Windows 8 wouldn't let me do it the usual way. So I had to learn how to use Picasa.

Other than that, just riding the ST to and from work every day, no matter what the weather throws at me.

18. Thanks trevor, Flook thanked for this post
    Nashville TN kismetcapitan is offline Volunteer Moderator - F800S/ST, S1000RR
    Real Name
    Toby
    08-07-15
    Motorcycle
    '12 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '00 ST4
    Motorcycle
    '10 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '03 GPR80
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    that is honestly BRILLIANT! looks professional and much more clever than barkbusters! much of the appeal of the R1200GS-or-Multistrada that I'm looking to buy soon is hand protection. the removable bit though is quite smart though, as during the summer windflow over the hands is a good thing.
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale - red
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo - matte grey
    2011 Ducati 796 Monster ABS - red
    2007 BMW F800S - sunset yellow...Bumblebee! (sold) 

20. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post

Real Name
    roger coleman
    03-23-17
    Motorcycle
    '12 CBR250R
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Reminds me of the knuckle deflectors I had on my Deauville, and they worked great. this looks really professional, think I might have a go myself.

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    3 Days Ago
    Thanks for the offer, Steve! I'll give you a call later next week, got a chemo hit tomorrow which will wreck my weekend. Love the wind tunnel facility, mine is a slightly higher velocity unit aka 18v leafblower.

Real Name
    Mark H
    09-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Great work, Steve - the angles fit well with the styling.

Chemo hit doesn't sound good, Ian - hope you're on top of it.
    R1200R-LC ​Exclusive in Thunder Grey with Touring Pack. Formerly Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. I rarely visit the forum these days ... 

24. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post
    Likes IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Mark H
    09-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    BTW - this deserves a place in the Hall of Wisdom for future reference.
    R1200R-LC ​Exclusive in Thunder Grey with Touring Pack. Formerly Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. I rarely visit the forum these days ... 

Real Name
    Devon
    03-20-20
    Motorcycle
    '11 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokkybear View Post
    BTW - this deserves a place in the Hall of Wisdom for future reference.
    Done ...

27. Thanks Mokkybear thanked for this post

Real Name
    roger coleman
    03-23-17
    Motorcycle
    '12 CBR250R
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Steve
    what heat source did you use to bend the plastic?

Real Name
    Tonya
    19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokkybear View Post
    Great work, Steve - the angles fit well with the styling.

Chemo hit doesn't sound good, Ian - hope you're on top of it.
    +1 on both counts...
    *GONE* 2007 F800ST
    *GONE* 2009 F800ST
    2014 R1200RT 

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by roger44 View Post
    Steve
    what heat source did you use to bend the plastic?
    I used a blowtorch originally, but found it a bit uncontrollable and easy to bubble the polycarbonate.
    I then dragged out my old trusty electric hot air gun (aka paint stripper) and it worked like a charm, although you still had to be careful not to bubble the poly carbonate.

31. Likes Flook liked this post

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    If someone is going to give this a go, it's best to make a pattern with cardboard or stiff clear plastic first, to get the bend lines and the location of contact with the fairing and screen.
    The top two bends are fairly straight forward, done by clamping the PC between 2 pieces of steel or wood (allow approx. 3mm clearance from the bend line for the bend) and heat until the PC appears to be starting to deform. Place a hard flat sided item against the clamped section (I used a wooden concrete float) and gently bend the PC to the required angle (I bent a piece of fencing wire to the angle of the pattern while it was still on the bike to get it correct)

For the compound curve at the fairing, I trimmed back a 3x2 pine block to match the fairing curve. Once I had done the hard folds I heated the area of the compound curve and lightly bent it around some plastic stormwater pipe until it matched the curve of the wood block at the line where it would meet the fairing. I then clamped the PC to the curved wood block, heated the PC and used a small straight sided glass bottle ( mine was a Vegemite bottle, being an Aussie) to lightly bent the small area that attaches to the side of the fairing.

That makes it sound easy, but I used a lot of small sections of PC before getting it right ( and a few nearly burnt fingers).

33. Likes Mokkybear, DWS, NickW, Flook, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    martyn
    08-15-18
    As BMW sell most of their bikes in Europe, where it's often very cold how come they haven't addressed the problem of wind chill?
    Well done for giving the problem a good looking at!
    Ron,england

35. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    An excellent write up Steve. I have played with PC for some time, your correct in using the hot air gun, I use mine on setting 2. To drill holes I use wood drills that have the point on, this provides a gradual hole and the flat part of the drill wont snatch the PC, it will easily bore the hole required (just for info on how to drill holes in PC).

As I have the Madstad screen your improvement wont work as the screen is fully adjustable, however, you have given me an idea tome to think about when the days start to rain etc here in merry ole England.

Once again, good write up with photo's to boot, and keep up the posting on 'word association' even though some of it is at my own expense, serves me right.

Flook
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

Real Name
    roger coleman
    03-23-17
    Motorcycle
    '12 CBR250R
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I copied you advise and made a pair of deflectors for my GT. I think they work really well, I used a more malleable plastic PETG which is bendable cold and more workable. I havent found any downside in using this material.
    at the time didnt have a heat gun so could only form flat bends, I have since purchased a cheap heat gun and intend to remove the deflectors to tweak the attachment plates to a curve to match the fairing of the bike.
    Waiting for the rain and cold weather for a real test but looking good.

38. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post
    Likes Flook, trevor, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Roger,

I hope they work as good as mine do.
    I have only got a pair of BMW Allrounder gloves, which aren't the best for freezing conditions.
    We had a nice frosty morning recently when the ambient temp was struggling to get above 0C.
    The finger tips were still a bit cold, but at least i could feel the warmth from the heated grips and the hands weren't aching by the time I got to work.
    ( Last year without the deflectors I thought the heated grips weren't working for a couple of days)

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Steve, you mean to say you actually work
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

41. Dislikes steve n rose disliked this post

Real Name
    roger coleman
    03-23-17
    Motorcycle
    '12 CBR250R
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Steve, they work really well, I dont feel any wind on my hands and rain just goes over the top. I think I may get more flutter around my arms as the wind catches my jacket but thats all.
    Someone should market this.

43. Thanks steve n rose thanked for this post

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    We won't believe that you have them until we see photographic evidence!Also it would help others to possibly see how they attach to the GT.

Real Name
    roger coleman
    03-23-17
    Motorcycle
    '12 CBR250R
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by steve n rose View Post
    We won't believe that you have them until we see photographic evidence!Also it would help others to possibly see how they attach to the GT.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141016_125313 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	116818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STU_1229 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	116826

you can make them out on these two pics, but to be honest I have teken them off as my hands got soaked when we got off the ferry in Spain so they dont work as well as I thought, and neitehr do my gloves which I found out are not waterproof even though the label says they are.

I am going to persist though, with a change to the design to make them simpler.

Real Name
    phil bradbury / coffee
    04-30-16
    Motorcycle
    '10 FZ 1
    Motorcycle
    '10 FZ 1
    Motorcycle
    '10 FZ 1
    Motorcycle
    '04 ST1300
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Thanks for the offer, Steve! I'll give you a call later next week, got a chemo hit tomorrow which will wreck my weekend. Love the wind tunnel facility, mine is a slightly higher velocity unit aka 18v leafblower.
    Sorry to here this Ian,have you had a setback?

47. Thanks IanA thanked for this post

Real Name
    Devon
    03-20-20
    Motorcycle
    '11 F650GS (Twin)
    I think you read the date wrong Phil, that was 5 months ago ...

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I have just checked out the first post by S&R, the wing thingy is attached to the screen, Roger has a Madstad screen, this screen being variable and not at a fixed angle. This would cause wind/rain to come between the two, all you need to do is check both out. John could you do a close up of your protector similar to what S&R have done.

I would be most interested in seeing close up the differences. Coming from a mechanical background and a bit in research and development side of things makes me curious.

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Roger,

My gloves still get wet in medium to heavy rain, as stated in the bottom of my explanation, but the deflectors keep the wind off and lower the windchill on the gloves, thus allowing the heated grips to warm thje hands better.
    I've actually been riding with my summer mesh gloves when, and if, the temp gets above 16C comfortably.

Flook,
    I have been thinking of this with different screns and it may be possible to have the vertical section, that attachs to the screen, be supported by a brace from the fairing screw, on the top of the flat section.
    If the vertical section was inside the outer edge of the after-market screen, but not attached to it, the screen would still be adjustable without affecting the deflector.

04-29-21
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I find the position of the mirrors deflects some the cold air off the hands, I manage 5C with summer gloves and the heated grips on.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I recall posts in the past with photos of the screens being braced. Before the madstad screen, I had made a screen that was not adjustable but gave me great wind protection. Unfortunately whilst moving the bike I slipped and the bike went over and broke the screen I had made.

I do not have the time to describe what I had done, I will in the meantime take a photo of the broken screen and post so you would have an idea of what it looked like.

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    A few people have been asking for a few more details of the deflectors.
    I have attached the template from my deflectors if anyone wants to try it. This is on A4 paper and just adjust the scale until the 150mm is achieved
    The lines to the side are the bend angles that I used to get the shape, being at the rear (longer edges) of the deflector.
    The curve section is for the one direction only as this section is actually a compound curve and i have explained about this section in the initial desription
    I initially cut the polycarbonate approx 10 -15mm (about 1/2 inch for those backward imerial users ) larger than the actual shape, to allow for any slight errors with the bending, and trimmed to size after it was bent to shape.
    For other screens, it would pay to cut the shape in card and alter dimensions and angles to suit.

Best of luck, and have fun mucking around with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deflector Template.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	131250

54. Likes DWS, Flook liked this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    And do not go back SnR if you cock it up, he is offering advice, it is up to you how you take it.

Well that is my view and take on it. Thanks for that Steve

Bloody Nora, did I actually thank Steve.........

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Wow, Flook, I think it must be catching, mate.

Real Name
    angus cargill
    6 Days Ago
    very ingenious, well thought through and well engineered . Thank you. I will seriously look at this one

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by guscsr65 View Post
    very ingenious, well thought through and well engineered . Thank you. I will seriously look at this one
    You can add hand guards which do the same job too.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I have the F600Gs hand guards which need a bit of converting fitted to my ST, also the variable Madstad screen. Both work extremely well, no issues when it has been raining or summer heat. The screen being variable during the warm recent heat I had the screen down by three quarters and tilted towards me about the same amount and the cool air surrounding me kept me at a cool temp whilst riding. Okay the guards were keeping the wind off the hands but that to me was not a hazard of an issue.

Riding when the weather is chill, I have the screen forward and up to max, the air flow is diverted to the top of my helmet, not at it, so not causing my head to vibrate at speed. Also the actual air flow seems to go around me so I am in a warmer place without any wind chill penetration. Okay I have on about four layers in that type of weather anyway, but, with the standard screen I found it quite cold to the body.

So the Madstad screen I would politely suggest is the way forward for a more enjoyable or enhanced ride.

Flookie

Real Name
    Richard
    5 Hours Ago
    Battery-powered heated gloves, of which there are many on Amazon (as an example), also help with cold hands - at least for a couple of hours until the battery power runs out. For longer rides more expensive gloves with a cord that connects to the bike's battery is needed. The motorcycle-specific products are the most expensive, but gloves designed for snowmobiling and skiing tend to be less expensive with more choices and are a better value if you can live with typically a lower level of crash protection.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.