BMW F800 Forum banner

Stopping the cold wind on the hands

12K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Richard230 
#1 ·
I've been doing a bit of fiddling with the ST to try and stop a bit of the wind chill on the gloves. It started off with a bit of stiff clear plastic, namely a box from around venetian blinds(high tech, this project), some wire(for stiffening) and some gaffer tape. What I was looking at was fairing a bit of the gap between the fairing and the windscreen. I had to take into consideration looks, clearance from levers at full lock and effectiveness.
Once I had a shape I was happy with I tried it for quite a while to see if it helped(and I was short of money to waste it on any good stuff). Earlier this year I shouted myself a bit of 3mm poly carbonate sheet for my birthday and set to work. As I had never worked with the stuff it was a bit of trial and error (and lots of bubbling [:(!]).
After making 3 sets I had a pair that I was happy with. I purchased some self-adhesive velco to hold them on and they work great. They don't keep all the water and moisture off, but they do stop a lot of the wind chill, and the heated grips are more effective.

They don't interfere with the levers at full lock (still got room for my big hands in BMW Allrounder gloves).

I left a small area open at the front to allow air to flow on the inside of the deflectors, stooping a lot of the runoff from blowing onto the gloves.

Even riding through heavy fog the gloves just get damp on the surface. Here's the gloves after 15 minutes of light misty rain.

The gloves still get wet in heavy rain, but this is mostly due to water blowing off the back of the deflectors and screen, but the wind chill is stopped.
I can ride with my summer mesh gloves down to 20C comfortably and, with the Allrounders, get to 10C without the heated grips. I'm happy with them.

Oh, it also keeps a lot of the turbulent wind coming around the back of the screen, but saying that, takes some of the wind pressure off the chest and puts a bit more on the wrists. Might have to talk Rose into some bar risers [:D].

See less See more
#33 ·
I recall posts in the past with photos of the screens being braced. Before the madstad screen, I had made a screen that was not adjustable but gave me great wind protection. Unfortunately whilst moving the bike I slipped and the bike went over and broke the screen I had made.

I do not have the time to describe what I had done, I will in the meantime take a photo of the broken screen and post so you would have an idea of what it looked like.

#34 ·
A few people have been asking for a few more details of the deflectors.
I have attached the template from my deflectors if anyone wants to try it. This is on A4 paper and just adjust the scale until the 150mm is achieved
The lines to the side are the bend angles that I used to get the shape, being at the rear (longer edges) of the deflector.
The curve section is for the one direction only as this section is actually a compound curve and i have explained about this section in the initial desription
I initially cut the polycarbonate approx 10 -15mm (about 1/2 inch for those backward imerial users [:D]) larger than the actual shape, to allow for any slight errors with the bending, and trimmed to size after it was bent to shape.
For other screens, it would pay to cut the shape in card and alter dimensions and angles to suit.

Best of luck, and have fun mucking around with it.

Triangle Rectangle Parallel Pattern Symmetry

Reactions: Flook and DWS
#35 ·
And do not go back SnR if you cock it up, he is offering advice, it is up to you how you take it.

Well that is my view and take on it. Thanks for that Steve[:D]

Bloody Nora, did I actually thank Steve.........[:0]

#36 ·
Wow, Flook, I think it must be catching, mate.[;)]

#39 ·
I have the F600Gs hand guards which need a bit of converting fitted to my ST, also the variable Madstad screen. Both work extremely well, no issues when it has been raining or summer heat. The screen being variable during the warm recent heat I had the screen down by three quarters and tilted towards me about the same amount and the cool air surrounding me kept me at a cool temp whilst riding. Okay the guards were keeping the wind off the hands but that to me was not a hazard of an issue.

Riding when the weather is chill, I have the screen forward and up to max, the air flow is diverted to the top of my helmet, not at it, so not causing my head to vibrate at speed. Also the actual air flow seems to go around me so I am in a warmer place without any wind chill penetration. Okay I have on about four layers in that type of weather anyway, but, with the standard screen I found it quite cold to the body.

So the Madstad screen I would politely suggest is the way forward for a more enjoyable or enhanced ride.

Flookie

#40 ·
Battery-powered heated gloves, of which there are many on Amazon (as an example), also help with cold hands - at least for a couple of hours until the battery power runs out. For longer rides more expensive gloves with a cord that connects to the bike's battery is needed. The motorcycle-specific products are the most expensive, but gloves designed for snowmobiling and skiing tend to be less expensive with more choices and are a better value if you can live with typically a lower level of crash protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.