BMW F800 Forum banner

Rear tire: many miles did you get out of it?

7K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  Templeb 
#1 ·
I'm a little surprised and disappointed at only getting 6K miles out of the rear continental. It's so bad that a thin worn groove is visible. I rode 200 miles from VT to NY and noticed it when pulling into my garage.

Is 6K normal? I've gotten 10K out of Dunlops before so this is a bit disappointing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#39 ·
The Michelin PR4 tires on my Honda NT700V were at 17,000 miles when I sold it. I thought at the rate they were wearing, that they would last 19-20,000. Would that I could get that kind of mileage on the F800GT...

I used to look at tire longevity as extremely important, right after wet handling. Now, I'm not so sure. If the coronavirus had not happened, I estimated around 14,400 miles of trips planned. Last summer, was not quite as many miles, but I ended up changing Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs for Continental RoadAttack IIIs for the Metzeler Roadtec 01s I have on the bike now. I could've eeked out more mileage from the first two tires, if I was putting on the miles while commuting and not taking trips. But like you, I needed to plan my tire changes for when I'd be home. And if that meant I lost a couple thousand on the life of the tire, so be it.

So now, I'm just mostly concerned with the feel of the tire on the road and the wet traction. In my case, I think I'm going back to the Conti RA IIIs. Whether they give me 9000 miles or 12,000 miles probably won't make much difference if I am going on trips for a week or so, since I'll be looking to replace them before they are fully worn out.

Chris

#41 ·
I have 5200 miles on the original Michelin Pilot Road 4 on my '18 GT that is now just over 1 year old (took delivery of the new bike in March 2019). There's quite a bit of tread left, so I'm thinking maybe 7000 miles is possible, but I do notice bike is starting to "drop in" when cornering now, so the handling is beginning to degrade a bit. For straight roads, no problem, but I ride almost exclusively in the mountains where corners outnumber straight road sections.

I'll probably replace them at the 6000 mile service. Worth it...

#42 ·
My PR4 after bringing it home from its 20,000 km service on Friday, a rainy day and over my gravel drive. It is just starting to flatten a bit in the centre, but has plenty of life left, though I will probably replace it to get a better match with the PR5 I put on the front a few thousand K ago. Fronts tend to scallop on these, whereas the rears go for ever with the Michelins, and they do make a slightly harder one recommended for big bikes. PR4 on my ST was still legal at 30k, which I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't done it myself.

Tire Wheel Helmet Automotive tire Tread

#44 ·
OEM Contis changed out at 6,736, rear down to wear bars. Front probably had 20 % but gave it up to the tire gods. Next set Michelin pilot road 4's. Huge improvement. Just had them changed out to PR 5's with 8,600 miles. Could have pushed the front for another season but believe f & r should be changed at same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.