Non-BMW top box? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Real Name
    Ian
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Yes, that's how it worked. Longer bolts were required but no drilling of the GT's carrier.
    Ian

Tip: - Watch out for the rubber buffers. They really like to stick to the bottom of the box and are easily lost. I glued the replacements into the plate !
    Last edited by Norfolk UK; 01-24-20 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added text (tip)
    2014 GT Orange. Just the comfort pack and heated grips - not into gizmos.

"Pity the man who wasn't born in the Highlands and hears the pipes"  

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk UK View Post
    Yes, that's how it worked. Longer bolts were required but no drilling of the GT's carrier.
    Ian

Tip: - Watch out for the rubber buffers. They really like to stick to the bottom of the box and are easily lost. I glued the replacements into the plate !
    Great tip thanks. Ordered Givi Monolock case E370 N as l have the BMW side cases l didn't need the larger case. Should be here on Monday.

6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
    Thanks Ian
    Looks neat. I am going to get the monolock. So you just used the stanadard monolock plate and kit that came with it, using the W shaped clamps with longer bolts?
    An update for anyone fitting Givi monolock top box regarding the Allen bolts. Fitted the universal mounting plate but needed longer bolts. Just to clarify they are M6, (6mm) diameter as per the standard bolts supplied with the universal kit, but l needed 2 x 40mm and 2 x 50 mm in Length, job done.
    Just trying to sort led connections for the canbus wiring to fit an led light in the case reflector, but that can wait.

5. Likes Daboo liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Hours Ago
    Thread bump for this one. And as much a fashion question as anything else.

I'm finding the BMW top case too small. I like use the bike as transport and leave my jacket, kevlar overpants, helmet and boots in the bike luggage. There just is not enough room.

Is it possible to adapt the rack with a mounting plate and fit one of the large top boxes from one of the big BMW tourers?

Alternatively, here comes the fashion question part, what's the opinion on how this fake aluminium look Givi case would look on the bike?
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/206537
    There is also a 53 litre version.

Another option is this, but might be a bit too cheap looking and says it only has a 3kg load capacity.
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/392929

This is an old thread; is there any difference in the rack on a facelift 2017 F800GT which would affect the mounting?

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    A big question in my mind, is if you'll be using any side cases too. If I couldn't use side cases because of lane splitting, I'd look into how I could secure my gear. On trips, I'll use a retractable computer cable look with a loud alarm. I can snake it through my jacket sleeve, or helmet chin bar. It has a built-in motion sensor, so the gear is pretty secure from a casual thief.

I use a Givi E460N Monokey case on this bike. The pictures don't look all that "pretty", but it hasn't kept me from getting more comments on the looks of the bike in one year than I've received on all my previous bikes together.

Another case I'd recommend is the Givi e450N Momokey. So many cases get their capacity by having a tall leading front side, then taper off for a 'streamlined look...but in reality, that leading side is like a barn door.

Also, keep in mind that the weight and size of the top case counts against your weight capacity and can act like a sail. Biggest is not always best.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Cramer
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I really like my Shad SH45. Great size and shape. Shad makes the BMW cases, so it's good quality. The mounting plate goes great on top of the existing rack. I chose it to replace my original BMW top case which broke off while riding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

3 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    A big question in my mind, is if you'll be using any side cases too. If I couldn't use side cases because of lane splitting, I'd look into how I could secure my gear. On trips, I'll use a retractable computer cable look with a loud alarm. I can snake it through my jacket sleeve, or helmet chin bar. It has a built-in motion sensor, so the gear is pretty secure from a casual thief.

---

Also, keep in mind that the weight and size of the top case counts against your weight capacity and can act like a sail. Biggest is not always best.

Chris
    Last bike was a Honda Pan European (ST-1300 in North America), that had a lot of luggage space... nothing is free though so the wet weight is 100kg heavier than the F800GT. Anyway, that had bigger panniers and a bigger top box.

I am running the F800GT with side panniers and top box on all the time. I find the side panniers don't make much of a difference with filtering. They are only barely wider than the mirrors and I never fold mirrors when filtering anyway.

Yes, the windage area of a large case had occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    I really like my Shad SH45. Great size and shape. Shad makes the BMW cases, so it's good quality. The mounting plate goes great on top of the existing rack. I chose it to replace my original BMW top case which broke off while riding.
    @ccramerusc, how do you find the bike at highway speeds with the SH45 fitted?

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 R1250RT LE
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
    Thread bump for this one. And as much a fashion question as anything else.

I'm finding the BMW top case too small. I like use the bike as transport and leave my jacket, kevlar overpants, helmet and boots in the bike luggage. There just is not enough room.

Is it possible to adapt the rack with a mounting plate and fit one of the large top boxes from one of the big BMW tourers? ...
    Yes, I have fitted the 52l top box from the R1200RT onto my F800GT rack. It looked like it would just drop on but it does not! It needs a bit of dremeling of the rack to make it work. But the end results is an OEM box which can be set up to the ignition keying so only one key is needed on the keyring.
    Last edited by TJRL; 10-19-20 at 03:59 AM.
    2020 R1250 RT LE,
    2010 L322 Range Rover AB (333k miles so far!),
    1960 SII Land Rover 88" SW. 

12. Likes Biscuits liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    I was wondering if anybody has an experience with a Givi or other aftermarket top box for a 2013 F800GT? I really could use a top box to complement my BMW saddle bags but the BMW top box, while very attractive, is very small. Do the non-BMW boxes mount well and are the extra brake lights a working option for a BMW bike?

Oh, and pictures would be helpful.
    Sorry, too lazy to get you the pic. But I have a Givi on mine. It fitted easily, looks good, works well, and I am very happy with it. AND it cost a whole lot less than one with the 3 special letters.

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 R1250RT LE
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I have just sold my GT and took the modified rack and 52l top box off first. So if anyone wants to buy them (or just the rack) then I am your man!

I will try and put an accessories "for sale" ad up over the weekend as I have a few other bits taken of the GT that are just taking up space in the garage now.
    2020 R1250 RT LE,
    2010 L322 Range Rover AB (333k miles so far!),
    1960 SII Land Rover 88" SW. 

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    It sure would be nice if BMW made a mid size top box in between the 28 liter small box and the 55 liter big box, and sold it for $300! Just sayin........

16. Likes IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Rich
    28 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I bought a Shad SH45 for mine. Great box, nice size for the GT and looks almost OE. The retaining straps inside the box for example are exactly the same as in the OE panniers. All made by Shad of course. The problem I had was the Shad specific mounting plate. Plastic plate sits on top and is bolted through some flat steel plates from underneath. The spacing collars were too large a diameter for the bolts and the bolts were far too long. The worst thing though was that the rear fixing latch on the plastic plate has a reinforcing steel bracket wrapped around it. When you bolt the plastic plate down, the steel bracket digs into the paint on your rack. Ok if you never want to take it off I suppose. This is a pity, the boxes are great, engineering for the attachment plate is however well below par. I ended up with a Givi specific mounting plate, a new rack and two Givi topboxes. A B33 for commuting and a V47 for touring. Excellent boxes and an excellent mounting solution that doesn't damage the rack.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Cramer
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I also have a shad SH45 on the back of my ST. I find it to be the prefect size and shape. Big enough, but not overkill. Maybe the racks are different on the GT, but the mounting plate fits perfectly on my ST. It's been holding on solidly for about 7 years and 40k miles now. That's much longer than my original BMW case lasted.

08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Rich
    28 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Cramer, yes I agree, the SH45 is just the right size. The GT rack is exactly the same as the ST and the Shad plate is definitely secure. What I was commenting on was that the reinforcing metal strip on the latch part of the mounting plate digs into the paint of the rack. If you took the plate off you'd see two neat, deep cuts into the paint, but you'd only notice them with the Shad plate removed. The dedicated Givi plate on the other hand can be removed when you sell the bike, leaving no damage to the rack.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Cramer
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Rich, you got me worried, so I went to the garage to take a close look. I think it must depend on where and how you mount the plate because that certainly is not happening on mine. The metal strip does not touch my rack at all. Here are some pics to show how mine is mounted.

Real Name
    Rich
    28 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Thanks for the photos Cramer. My plate was mounted similar to yours, with about the same amount of the BMW rack protruding beyond the plate at the rear. The photo of the underside of the Shad plate shows how the metal reinforcing the plastic latch is fitted over the plastic edge. If you put the plate down on a flat surface it would not sit flat at the rear because of the way the reinforcing metal stands proud. The photo of the BMW rack shows the marks where the underside of the rear latch sits on the rack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2835.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	370709

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2834.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	370707
    18 F800GT 

3 Days Ago
    I’m running shad too, it’s one of the massive expandable boxes and my mountings are cut down exhaust ‘U’ bolts insulated in rubber fuel pipe as not to damage the rack paint.

Real Name
    Rich
    28 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    That idea sounds great Tigcraft. I would never have thought of that. Do you have any pictures?
    18 F800GT 

3 Days Ago
    Quite simple really...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_1614007610789.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	370991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_1614007666486.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	370993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_1614007695219.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	370995  

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    21 Hours Ago
    That box ain't goin' nowhere!
    Do U-bolt threads intrude into the box floorspace much?

3 Days Ago
    Once cut to length they fit snug. I hate untidy luggage fixings and this method is very OEM looking which was what I wanted

Real Name
    Rich
    28 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Looks vey neat indeed, and rock solid.
    18 F800GT 

5 Hours Ago
    Hi all. I've the GIVI V47 monokey top box on mine which required a specific plate to fit on to the rack.

It works well but overall it's pricey too.

29. Likes Randyjaco liked this post

03-08-21
    Im thinking of buying a shad 58
    Do you know if the baseplate is compatible
    I’m always wary of ‘universal’ equipment they never normally fit

3 Hours Ago
    I have the Shad 58. I bought the F800GT specific mounting plate. Personally I’d prefer to buy a bike specific mount rather than risk a top box going bouncing down the freeway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2