Front brake shudder - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Kristoffer
    07-25-18
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Anyone else notice this?

When almost to a stop I feel the font brake shudder? The pulse can be felt through the bike.

Edit : Forgot to mention its a brand new bike with less than 200 miles on it
    Last edited by Wisconsinkris; 08-17-14 at 09:43 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    12 Hours Ago
    Over the past 10 years (out of 52 years of riding), starting with my Triumph, I have had problems with my front brake discs feeling like the braking friction is uneven when coming to a stop after a couple of years of ownership. The brakes feel fine when braking hard at high speed, only at speeds below about 10 mph do they feel like the disc is warped. This seems to happen after between 3 and 20K miles of riding, depending upon the motorcycle. I went through 4 front brake discs on my Triumph before things settled down (so far). My F650GS has had two of its front brake discs replaced. The first one at 18K miles, the next at 24K miles and now the problem has started up again, so I bought another brake disc and will replace it when I change my front tire.

I do not believe that the disc is warped, but it seems to have developed an area where the friction is different than other areas. I have no idea why, as I use my brakes easily and they have never been overheated. I recently tried sanding the disc lightly, then cleaned it with brake cleaner, but it had no effect. So my only solution is to replace the disc. Since I never had this problem before 2005, my only guess is that the brake manufacturers have changed the disc material (sourced from China?) on their less expensive models and that is what is causing this problem. I might add that I have never had a problem like this on any of my Japanese-brand motorcycles or the 5 BMW boxer models that I have owned, including my current one that has the same mileage as my Triumph and F650GS.

I also might add that Triumph replaced my front brake disc three times at no cost to me before my warranty ran out. So my suggestion is to visit your dealer and have them address the issue to your satisfaction. Uneven front wheel braking is not safe, especially if it occurs on a slippery street during the winter.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Richard,

My rear suffers from this and I also tried sanding the disc. It helped a little but went back to pulsing fairly soon thereafter. I did not sand or replace the pads, so I'm wondering if you did anything to your pads. I suspect that mine are contaminated and just dump goop back on the disc. It's almost time to replace them anyway, so I haven't done it yet.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    I remember reading a thread during last 12 months about the issue on a small number of F800GT's. I don't think a cause was reported and one guy {Australia??} had the bike replaced by BMW but the replacement bike had same issue ---- think he got his money back. Try a forum search.

Zelhem, Netherlands de100kb is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Karim
    08-28-18
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    Hi Kris, welcome to f800riders.org.

Just to be sure: if you use the breaks hard the ABS comes in which feels like a pulsation in the break leaver (and/or the brake pedal). Could that be what you are referring to?

Real Name
    Kristoffer
    07-25-18
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I just returned from a ride with my cousin. He was saying his did the same thing. I did a bunch of hard stops. I don't think this is ABS as this feels like it resonates up through the bars in a pulse like feeling.

After the hard stops I did touch the front discs. On feels hotter than the other..not sure if that helps with diagnosis. I'll have them look at it when I bring the bike in.

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    On the STs with floating discs (am I correct that the GTs have fixed discs?), some good hard stops would often center the discs and eliminate pulsing and shuddering. Failing that, cleaning/lubing the pins on which the discs float could help too. But once a disc becomes contaminated, I fear it needs to be aggressively sanded or cleaned, or replaced, along with the pads.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

Real Name
    Richard
    12 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by danham View Post
    Richard,

My rear suffers from this and I also tried sanding the disc. It helped a little but went back to pulsing fairly soon thereafter. I did not sand or replace the pads, so I'm wondering if you did anything to your pads. I suspect that mine are contaminated and just dump goop back on the disc. It's almost time to replace them anyway, so I haven't done it yet.

-dan
    In my case, I did not touch the brake pads. However, I do intend to replace them when I change out my disc. My bike does not have ABS, so that is not the problem.

A couple of years ago I wrote into Rider magazine about the problem with my Triumph and their tech guy commented that the brake disc may have picked up some contamination that was not cleaned off by hard braking. He recommended that I brake harder to keep the disc clean. Every since then I have been braking harder than normal, which is easy to do on the Triumph as the single disc front brake is not all that great at stopping that relatively heavy bike. Since I have been braking harder I have not experienced the pulsating feeling. One of the magazine readers wrote to me and said that he had the same problem which was only permanently rectified when he replaced the entire front wheel. Whatever the problem is, it seems to only occur on my F650GS and my Triumph, both of which do not have floating rotors (and seem to be built "to a price"). As near as I can tell, the rotors were never warped, as when I spin the wheel with a wire indicator next to the disc, there does not appear to be any movement at the edge of the rotor, so I don't know what else it could be besides contamination of the disc's friction surface.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

11. Thanksdanham thanked for this post

11-10-19
    I have also just had this start on the front during the last stage of moderate breaking. With my front tyre change last month at 49,300 miles, I also had the front pads changed for the first time. The OEM ones had both started to wear asymmterically, so one pad (the same side) in each caliper was close to the metal. Ferodos were fitted (FDB2042P) and I don't recall getting this shudder with the last setup or with any of my previous STs. Bike currently at 53,660 miles and this is not the anti-blocking mechanism, as the lever is not pulsing/vibrating. The effect feels violent enough to trigger the ABS (like breaking over a high frequency washboard surface) but that has not happened yet.

Real Name
    Alyn
    4 Days Ago
    When braking (not breaking) I use my front brake down to low speed, say about 10Km/h, then it is mainly rear to the stop. After 10,000Km on my F800GT I have sensed no issues with the front brake. I queried with BMW whether they were floating and was told they are semi floating. Not sure what that means.

Real Name
    Cliff
    08-18-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Albervin View Post
    I queried with BMW whether they were floating and was told they are semi floating. Not sure what that means.
    fyi: http://www.braketech.com/index.php?o...talk&Itemid=69

Check out my ride videos at my YouTube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZw...bx0_hxz1jk0zDw 

Real Name
    John
    09-23-14
    Hi All, Recently purchased a new 2014 BMW F800GT. I can really notice this front brake shuddering thing when I apply the front brakes. I also have a R1200GS and I have felt the ABS kick in and this is not the same feeling, and it happens all the time, so I'm pretty certain it has nothing to do with the ABS system. Took it to the dealership where I purchased the bike, head mechanic took it for a spin around the parking lot and he immediately felt what I was describing. He suggested a stiffer, progressive fork spring as a solution. Anyone else tried this to remedy the shudder problem? Any other suggestions? BTW I weigh 190 pounds and have just over 1,000 miles on the bike. Everything else on the bike feels great, would love to get rid of the front brake problem before it gets worse.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

John C

Real Name
    Richard
    12 Hours Ago
    When I had that problem on my Triumph Bonneville after riding the bike for 3000 miles, the service tech rode the bike around the parking lot and then said that the disc was warped and they would replace the disc with a new one under warranty. That solved the on-off braking feel, until it happened again about 3000 miles later. That disc was also replaced under warranty and it lasted about 4000 miles. By then the Triumph warranty period was over, so the next two discs were on me. Fortunately, this last one has been going good for the past 10K miles and I am hoping that the problem has finally resolved itself. Now my F650GS disc is suffering the same jerking when braking to a stop and I have a new EBC disc ready to install when I replace my front tire. I get the feeling that Triumph and BMW are going with the low-bidder again.

11-30-14
    Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    Hi All, Recently purchased a new 2014 BMW F800GT. I can really notice this front brake shuddering thing when I apply the front brakes.
    Hi, same here. 2014 GT build date 2/2014. At highway speed the brakes appear to be ok, and can feel ABS pulsating when braking VERY hard or on dirt. I had a bit of braking practice as first time with ABS on a bike. The low speed shudder (not ABS) is a bit annoying and unsettling when approaching traffic lights. ( I do use the rear to stop, but I bring speed down with front) I was hoping it was just a little uneven glazing from ABS testing/use - may not be. Would be keen to hear if you have yours resolved and how. If still there after another 1000 I will raise with dealer - although not very happy with then at moment.

John