BMW F800 Forum banner

R 1200 rs

101K views 536 replies 58 participants last post by  Loiner 1960 
#1 ·
#225 ·
Here in Denmark - as some people knows - we pay a very high tax on cars and motorcycles. I was told at my dealer that the starting price for the R1200RS was 230.000 DKK = 36.380$. With the options i want the price is 260.000 DKK = 41.125$. And on that you can add the price for bags. In comparison i payed DKK 162.000 DKK = 25.625$ for my F800GT only with boardcomputer and bags as an option.

You guys are lucky even if you have to pay 20.000 or 23.000$ for the R1200RS [:D][:D]

And with that said, i must admit that i love the new RS - can't wait to see it at the Hamburg Motorrad Tage in february

#226 ·
Here in Denmark - as some people knows - we pay a very high tax on cars and motorcycles. I was told at my dealer that the starting price for the R1200RS was 230.000 DKK = 36.380$. With the options i want the price is 260.000 DKK = 41.125$. And on that you can add the price for bags. In comparison i payed DKK 162.000 DKK = 25.625$ for my F800GT only with boardcomputer and bags as an option.

You guys are lucky even if you have to pay 20.000 or 23.000$ for the R1200RS [:D][:D]
We pay less for bikes but you get free medicine! :)

#228 ·
Yes. High taxes on everything but no poverty, and free education and health care. So it's just taking the expense away from one thing and moving it to another.
So all that money I would have left over from not having to pay student loans would have gladly gone to more expensive bikes -:)

#232 ·
Indeed Anthony. The economy is most robust when everyone has enough money to buy enough food, stuff, services. Here's two interestingly different companies, though they are vastly different in size.

Alvarado Street Bakery (Petaluma, CA):
Company is 100% employee owned, have grown phenomenally over the past 5 years to produce 40,000 loaves of some of the finest flour-free, organic sprouted grain breads, all at very reasonable pricing to the customer base. They average salary is $70,000/year, this is for factory bakery workers. Every one of these folks can buy stuff, and so they fuel the economy hugely. The CEO I'm sure earns a decent salary, but it's within reason.

Amazon.com
Contrast the above small company w/ Amazon, who's owner Jeff Bezos & CEO (I believe) has acquired $32,000,000,000 of net worth. He is a master of exploiting IT, but he's also masterful at ignoring the plight of many front-line workers who are tracked electronically and automatically digitally docked for not making it to their designated pickup target location in the warehouse within the allotted 33 seconds. They won a court hearing to allow them to demand warehouse workers, after hours, walk thru a 2 lane surveillance system to insure they haven't swiped goods. Problem is, Amazon did not want to have to pay them the up to 25 minutes it takes to get thru the line after your work day is done. I'm not sure of the salary of front line workers, but I doubt they're making enough to feed back into the economy--instead, as w/ other companies like Walmart, US taxpayers pick up the social safety net w/ food stamps, health care, etc.

Buy Alvarado Street Bakery break--you've love it, and it's a pretty cool thing when you think about it.

#236 ·
I prefer to make my own bread with a $70 bread machine that I bought from Amazon. It is a lot cheaper than any commercially made bread, the bread comes out perfect, has no preservatives, I know what is in it (nothing sprouted for me) and I know how fresh it is. But I sure wouldn't want to sit on a loaf - even though I am sure it would be a lot more comfortable than sitting on the stock seat of my F650GS. :rolleyes:

#258 ·
Of course, I know they're not out yet...but some of the motorcycle mags get trial models to test and do reports on them. That's what I'd like to see...a good comparison with the GT/RT. I've never owned a boxer engine model, so I'm a little intrigued.

Oh...the HP4? I wasn't bragging...truly! But if I buy another BMW sport touring bike as a complement to the HP4, it needs to go beyond the ST I owned, in terms of smooth power, wind protection and good ergos (I found the ST to a bit "off" in those areas).

#253 ·
Looks like some serious spread between seat height & top of windscreen. I wonder if that is an aftermarket or BMW touring screen (i've seen it mentioned) for RS? Might be partly the perspective of the photo...
View attachment 123121
That was same screen as the one I saw in NYMS. Only difference is one I sat on at NYMS didn't have bags and the seat was in high position.

#257 ·
Maybe BMW doesn't quite have their mind made up regarding what they want to do with the RS windshield and that is one reason that the bike won't be on the showroom floor until the second quarter of this year (May, if we are lucky). :confused:

#259 ·
I haven't found a ride report yet. as was posted only the R1200R has a report currently.

I've only test rode the Boxer 3 times. Two WC cooled one air cooled. Well two air cooled if i include the older 1100. I will say Fly you will not find it as lively as the I4. It will pull like there's no tomorrow but you're not going to have that sport bike fun on it that your used to. It will, however, go WAY beyond your ST with smooth power. just in a more subdued fashion. But remember, the boxer is sort of an engine with character so its not going to be as smooth as glass. You might like the Ninja 1000 more as a tourer as it shares some of the character of your I4.

The RS does look like it has superior ergos and wind protection though.

#260 ·
I wouldn't expect a comparison between a GT and RS to be fair. These bikes are not peers. We've already seen what happens when the F800GS is pitted against the R1200GS (and F800GS Adv against R1200GS Adv). They're markedly different animals, each with their own attributes and deficiencies, but at the end of the day, the 1200's simply have more performance. For some riders, the weight and agility of the 800's is most important, but for others, the power, tractability and on-road presence of the 1200's is even more important. YMMV.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#261 ·
Decision made. Won't be changing to the RS; at least not this year. Message from UK dealer ...

"This bike is proving to be very popular. If we where to put an order in sharpish I would expect October Delivery."

#262 ·
Message from UK dealer ...
"This bike is proving to be very popular. If we where to put an order in sharpish I would expect October Delivery."
Does this comment imply people are ordering up these machines without test rides? I would have thought we would have at least one first ride report before they start getting scooped up fast, but I still can't find one report...

#268 ·
I bought my first K100RS new in '85 without a test ride, 'they' thought I was too young (at 22) but I was in love and 430,000km did nothing to dull the passion. Then after another KRS, I flew to Adelaide for my first F800ST, without riding one, mostly as a result of the first two RS machines, as I wanted something lighter. After both ST's passed away I am back to another K100RS, while the ST was/is an awesome bike the old '86 RS has that feeling of invincibility in regard to the build quality, they are much better on dirt roads and just go and go. The second RS had K75C bars and a modified seat, they work much better for me with the original 24 inch bars...

I think the new RS will be a hit, but I doubt it will match the functionality of the older BM's

R

#266 ·
The suspense is killing me. I suspect the RS will be a hit for those of us wanting a more sporting version of an S/T rather than a bigger tourer like the RT or 1600 GT/L. I will have to determine whether I can part with the GS versatility. The big GS really is a great touring bike. Perhaps the best ergos that I have experienced.

#269 ·
I finally sat on the RS at the Cleveland IMS. Great ergos for a 6'2" person. Damn it, I want it more now. Called my local dealer and they graciously offered to put me on the waiting list for a mere $500 US. Thanks but no thanks - needs before wants. (and I really want)

#270 ·
I don't plan to buy any new bikes this year. I seem to be increasingly intolerant of the depreciation that comes with buying a new bike. One benefit on this is that others can give me feedback on the RS once they are available. And, another season on the GS can't hurt. But, I expect that the RS will be more sporting compared to the GS. My guess is that it will feel lower to the ground, and with the telescopic fork vs. the telelever front end, will offer a different experience. I'm looking forward to riding one.

#272 ·
I'm glad someone bought my GT before me--it saved me $4k, and only had 2900 miles on it. 7 months later it has 11,5K miles on it and still looks and feel brand new anyway. One perhaps good thing about used is that if you have any sense of the history on it you can have some assurance on upkeep & you have a chance to tease out any issues that might crop up on a new & untested/unvetted machine by the time it has some miles and time on it. Fortunately it's not uncommon to find bikes w/ very low miles for sale, even though these machines really are made to handle some serious miles and still function well.

I'm very intrigued by RS still, and have hung back on a few more minor mods for GT because I really wanted to ride RS first before putting more $$ into GT, and even would like a long test ride on RT. Despite the bulky trim on RT having gotten back into riding after 28y hiatus I'd like to give RT a chance to see what a killer windscreen & telelever have to offer in a general purpose bike. If I had room for both in my garage I'd look for a low mileage used RT perhaps to use for long trips and keep GT. GT is really an easy bike to love for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.