Bike HUD - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Not exactly a mod for the ST etc, but may be of interest to anyone. Has anyone had one of these if so your thoughts and or opinions. I appreciate this has been here before some time back with no response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZQO...&feature=share

Flook
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Yes well - Flooky. I certainly think that this sort of technology will be de-rigueur in the future, most of us old geezers have trouble multi-tasking like sleeping while watching television. . Life doesn't pass us by that quick we can't cast a glance at our displays. It's bad enough with Sat-navs where users don't bother to read maps anymore, they take for granted when the lady in the box tells the driver to turn immediately left and ends up in the canal. Sat-navs have their occasional uses.
    "I was cut out to be a genius. Unfortunately somebody forgot to put the pieces together"
    Tubby Clayton - Toc H founder 

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Sorry about mentioning Sat-navs, gone off topic again but it's my favourite rant. A sadly an overused tool. It only takes a brief thought and I go into an apoplectic shock.
    I've taken the pills now - my BP has lowered to near normal.
    "I was cut out to be a genius. Unfortunately somebody forgot to put the pieces together"

4. Likestrevor liked this post
    Elgin, Scotland ST404 is offline Volunteer Moderator - GT

Real Name
    Pat
    04-08-19
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Exactly what is the point of such a contraption?? You still have to divert your eye either left or right, your eye then has to focus. This means your eyes are not focused on the road ahead.

And the even bigger minus............................ you will have to pay hundreds of pounds not to see that road ahead!!

I'm with you on this one Terry, a total waste of time

6. LikesThumper710, trevor liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Pat I agree about diverting your eyes and having to re-focus is a very good point.

In the future it may well be common practice for helmet screens, by that time kids will be riding maglev bikes or those things that ride on a cushion of air. No, no, no that won't be true - only select few will be riding motorcycles as bikes will be banned by the EU because they are too dangerous. Yes, I know I'm a cynic, you get that way with age.

Real Name
    Allan
    02-02-17
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by oxytotl View Post
    . No, no, no that won't be true - only select few will be riding motorcycles as bikes will be banned by the EU because they are too dangerous.
    And VICROADS will also ban bikes.. sorry, that one is my favourite rant.. Number of riders in my state have nearly doubled in the last few years, the number of fatalities have dropped (so effectively a better than 50% decrease in fatalities based on the number of riders).. but the government is worried that motorcycle riders are over-represented in the statistics and making non evidence based laws around it...

9. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Apart from all that
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Flook View Post
    Apart from all that
    What a fantastic idea!! This is me being supportive Flook . I think we all should get one. The youngsters who can multi-task could also interface their PS3s or Nintendos with it and play games on the hoof. I'm not familiar with these games consoles so I'm only guessing.

12. ThanksFlook thanked for this post
    LikesST404 liked this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    And now for something serious. It only takes one don't it or two, an Englishman living in Ireland, and a Scotsman would come up with the above post and be liked

All I can say is "thanks guy's"

I first came across this in 'The Electronics Weekly', I thought was was not a bad idea having all that info in front of you even when you turn round. However it seems from here and elsewhere that most are not in favour of this one, despite it being a British idea and design and made here in the UK. Having seen how large it is I was somewhat surprised, my satnav would be obstructed by this, as that I often glance down at to read the map at roundabouts I am not familiar with and turnings coming up.

I think the idea is a sound one but it needs to be made smaller, as it looks like it does foul on the helmet visor on some helmets, also the area where we view out of the helmets vary in size top/bottom LHS/RHS. My one the BMW system6 evo has a narrow top/bottom and side to side could do with being that bit wider as when I look to either side I see the curve of the helmet, so the HUD would unfortunately restrict my vision. Hence, based on this, I unfortunately wont be buying one. Do not get me wrong, I think it is a great idea, I thing the young guy's will go for the gadget of it, and if it is promoted real strong it will be a winner.

This is my thoughts based on what I have seen so far, and it is better than having any display being shown on the visor.

Real Name
    Pat
    04-08-19
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Flook being serious.................................. do give over

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST

Zelhem, Netherlands de100kb is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Karim
    08-28-18
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    I could see a helmet with a virtual mirror looking back in my future but not this kind of HUD, useless in my opinion.

17. Likesjsanford liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Actually to be serious, the idea is sound Dave. After all, fighter pilots use them in their helmets, but they are trained to multi-task. It may well be common to put an HUD in motorcycle helmets in years to come, but I wouldn't think in my biking lifetime. Having said that, now nearly everyman and his dog in the world has a mobile (cell phone) that can do most of the things a desk top computer could do a couple of years ago. This total phone phenomena has only happened over a relatively short time. With the right marketing even us 'non-believers' may have one. We've all bought stuff because it seemed like a good idea only to park it on a shelf to gather dust very few really stick and become mainstream.

Now Karim has a more marketable idea of using a reversing camera to see behind you rather than what speed and revs you're doing. I'm not saying I would use one, I've just ordered a pair of mirror extenders so hopefully I won't want one. In the future all this technology would be integrated within the helmet (like Bluetooth) but it wont happen until the additional costs are at a bare minimum.

As Allen says we wont be worrying in the future as motorcycles will be banned, we wont be able to take any risks and we'll all be covered in cotton wool so we don't hurt ourselves. And if you do hurt yourself you'll be fined for the privilege.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Reversing camera's are not new to me, I had one specifically fitted to a new 'S' registered van. The camera was not waterproof and the 5" monitor I had in the cab the display was in black and white. It has crossed my mind as things tend to do from time to time, about using the reversing camera with rear view mirror that is really a monitor. The problem with this idea is the mirror/monitor would not be waterproof, on saying this, I do have a cunning plan that may get around this.

Baldric err sorry, Flook

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Reversing camera's are not new to me, I had one specifically fitted to a new 'S' registered van. The camera was not waterproof and the 5" monitor I had in the cab the display was in black and white. It has crossed my mind as things tend to do from time to time, about using the reversing camera with rear view mirror that is really a monitor. The problem with this idea is the mirror/monitor would not be waterproof, on saying this, I do have a cunning plan that may get around this.

Baldric err sorry, Flook
    You've not let us into your cunning plan Baldric err sorry, Flook.

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    I would say it's could have wings - but - you'd be stumped with the screen brightness on a very sunny day it would probably bleach the pictures out. Brightness levels and reflection problems may be a big issue. At least with a mirror you can see under most conditions. Technology has a habit of failing in the most perverse of circumstances. Like many drivers I have reversing sensors on my car. I reversed out of my driveway (slowly) on Monday night, my wifes friend parked her new black car to one side of our driveway a few feet out from the pathway (small country lane with little or no traffic), forgot it was there in the dark (no street lighting in our neck of the woods). I just barely touched it - made crap of hers and my paintwork- the warning sensors didn't alert me (the angle and the closeness was the problem). Technology, bah, humbug! So nothings failsafe!

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I would say it's could have wings - but - you'd be stumped with the screen brightness on a very sunny day it would probably bleach the pictures out. Brightness levels and reflection problems may be a big issue. At least with a mirror you can see under most conditions. Technology has a habit of failing in the most perverse of circumstances. Like many drivers I have reversing sensors on my car. I reversed out of my driveway (slowly) on Monday night, my wifes friend parked her new black car to one side of our driveway a few feet out from the pathway (small country lane with little or no traffic), forgot it was there in the dark (no street lighting in our neck of the woods). I just barely touched it - made crap of hers and my paintwork- the warning sensors didn't alert me (the angle and the closeness was the problem). Technology, bah, humbug! So nothings failsafe!
    Glad it's not just me, backed out of a friends drive four weeks ago swung around to the left to turn around and hit my nice shiny Audi hard on their chimney breast, ripped the mirror off and hit the front wheel hard on full lock against the side of the house, as soon as I drove away the abs light started flashing so I knew it was serious.

New mirror, tons of suspension damage, Bill was £1100!!!!

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    My next avatar name will be NOTHING

24. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    My next avatar name will be NOTHING
    What did I say?

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Actually I prefer Flook - one of a kind. Only an extra special person could be called Flook - it seems you have all the attributes. So I'm afraid it's FLOOK or NOTHING at all

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    What's your cunning plan then Balders?

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    We are only human Carlos, lets say a momentary lack of concentration.

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    We are only human Carlos, lets say a momentary lack of concentration.
    that's not quite the turn of phrase my wife used!

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I reckon she said "ah bugger, now why did you do that silly thing for"

31. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    My wife just said that her friends car was a little out from the side of the road and we'll pay for the damage.

An update on all that, both cars have been seen by our local Ford main dealer and will both be repaired for about €400 for the two with a free courtesy car thrown in. Lucky I'm good friends with the body shop manager.

To steer back to the topic, I'd be surprised if HUD will be commonplace on any personal transport for the foreseeable future except for Google or Apple bosses who have to be seen that they're in touch with cutting edge technology.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I shall make comment when I am able to.

I have not been on here for a day or two as I have been out on the bike. Yesterday I went to Hunstanton, it was very warm 18c, had lunch outside with Steve, the Goldwing guy, then onto Wells-next-sea, had a nice tea and a Tunnocks tea cake, ooh that was luverly. Rode back in the dark but our HID lights seemed to make vehicles move over for us, despite Steve losing his way with his built in Goldwing satnav.

Today been trying to sort out the CB aeriel, only to maybe conclude tomorrow.

I think HUD will be taken up by young guns, and possibly by some helmet manufactures at some time in the future, possibly as an integral bit of kit. Depends on how the basic sales go and if they can convince those manufacturers it will go down well with the bikers.

It may well be one of those slow burners, like the Apple iPod was, that was until someone famous bought one then every one wanted to copy, I think it maybe was Madonna, so if Guy Richie or one of the young guns in 1D, well you never know.

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote: "I have not been on here for a day or two as I have been out on the bike. Yesterday I went to Hunstanton, it was very warm 18c, had lunch outside with Steve, the Goldwing guy, then onto Wells-next-sea, had a nice tea and a Tunnocks tea cake, ooh that was luverly. Rode back in the dark but our HID lights seemed to make vehicles move over for us, despite Steve losing his way with his built in Goldwing satnav."

You lucky bugger Dave, I've not been on the bike since last weekend, we've had rain day after day unlike you lot sweltering in the warm sunshine - why did I move to Ireland from the sunny SE?

"I think HUD will be taken up by young guns, and possibly by some helmet manufactures at some time in the future, possibly as an integral bit of kit. Depends on how the basic sales go and if they can convince those manufacturers it will go down well with the bikers."

That's sort of what I was saying.

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    You are lucky Dave, I've had a week laid up with flu, proper flu, not a "man flu" heavy cold, only upside is that I've lost 7lbs off my beer belly!

36. LikesFlook, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    That must be real real flu Carlos, losing half a stone is fantastic - but careless. Have you sent out a search party, must be somewhere! Seriously, you must have had a good dose to lose that sort of weight. Hope you're on the mend.

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Thanks Terry, about 80% recovered now! ate properly today for the first time in a week, so back to work tomorrow.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Carlos, what is work, I assume then you in a hud (who is a cheeky person then)

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I found two bricks, does that count

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Likewise WORK what the hells that? I retired at the end of 2005. I don't know how I made time for work. Glad you're making progress Carlos

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    He making progress okay, each day bring him closer to retirement, that must be enough incentive

43. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    He making progress okay, each day bring him closer to retirement, that must be enough incentive
    I'd guess Carlos is a young whipper-snapper with oodles of years to go before his retirement, he'll have to be 105 before he can collect his pension age.

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I'd guess Carlos is a young whipper-snapper with oodles of years to go before his retirement, he'll have to be 105 before he can collect his pension age.
    Younger than you old sods, only another 10 years to go, I'm finishing at 60!

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    OOOOooooo, you could be my son then

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Yes, same here - just about, I'd have been 18!

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Now that is a frightening prospect!

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I reckon he is yours Oxy, with a name like Carlos he has to be one of yours

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Truly frightening for you - and me and perhaps the missus. I thought she was fat when we first met but I put it down to flatulence

Real Name
    Cliff
    08-18-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned Skully Helmets in this thread.
    http://www.skullysystems.com

Check out my ride videos at my YouTube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZw...bx0_hxz1jk0zDw 

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Cliff, looks the business, I assume a USA company?

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Personally I think all this in car technology transferred to motorcycles is not a good thing. I might be in the minority here but a huge attraction to riding a bike is the absence of interruptions and the solitude of being alone on a bike.

I also believe that riding a bike safely requires huge amounts of concentration, even a small lapse can be catastrophic, even using a sat nav can take your eyes off the road, so unless I really don't know where I'm going I try to ride without one.

For me motorcycling is about simple pleasures an absence of technology for me personally heightens the experience , so sorry Bluetooth headsets, HUD, not for me.

54. ThanksFlook thanked for this post
    LikesST404, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I nearly always use the satnav, as I like to read the map in 3D, and get the occasional warning of the dreaded speed camera.

The bike Hud and other similar devices are more for the future riders, I thought I would just bring it to the attention of all here and hear what your thoughts are etc.

Flook

Real Name
    terry
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Sorry Carlos, I have a bluetooth headset, I don't find it a distraction, may do if travelling over 100mph and that would be as rare as rocking horse sh1t these days! Handy for when guys get lost or lose the pack. As I've said before, Satnavs are only useful if you're well and truly lost or can't read a map.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    A map, a map, what on earth is a map. I put the sat nav on, and listen to a sexy voice giving me directions in a breathy voice. OMG I really do not know how such a female gets into such a machine, I reckon it must be one of Oxytotl's lot, boy does she do me good.

I am so glad Carlos don't want one, as he aint for sure going to share my one

Real Name
    Pat
    04-08-19
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    I have enough of a women telling me where to go when I'm in the car.................................... I sure as hell ain't putting up with it on the bike

59. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST

Real Name
    Dave
    02-01-16
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800 ST
    Flook: to add insult to injury - you now have an Englishman living in Wales to tell you 'it's technology for technology's sake. In the time taken to look down into the eyepiece you can look a little further down and see oh! gear selection, speed & OMG!! direction indicator.

62. Likesoxytotl liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast