Noel, are you keeping that F800GT dry? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    emlevy
    1 Hour Ago
    Seriously, hope you and your family are safe and dry in suddenly-soggy California. That moisture is coming my way next.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Thank you Sir we are really fortunate as we live at about 1800ft and there is no such thing as flooding where our home is--though people can have trees fall on their homes when soils get wet and winds howl. When we bought the 1 acre lot we built our home on in 1985 it had rained 7" the prior 2 days and there wasn't a puddle in sight, which is a testimony to the volcanic soils we have here and some slope as well. We have had 7" in the past 2 days yet again and are now up to 1/3 of annual normals of around 52". The big issue out here as you may know is decreasing water table levels from the prolonged drought and failure to adjust growing practices so as to maintain water table levels to some degree. A problem comes when you run the well dry the resulting soil compacts and won't hold as much water in the future, at least for a while. Fortunately this recent storm is putting some snow pack in the Sierra, OTW to the Rockies, yes!

In the mean time I am back into Prepar3D Flight Simulator from Lockheed Martin, which helps when I can't ride. In fact last week I had just polished up the GT and I was going to take her out but since rain was likely going to be in the picture I opted to keep her dry and shiny ;o) I guess that's the norm for you, during the winter, putting your bikes in the shed eh? I'm spoiled w/ riding in warm weather so now w/ debris all over the streets and the wet and wind it's going to stay in the garage for nicer weather, which will come again soon I hope.

Real Name
    emlevy
    1 Hour Ago
    Really glad to hear no foul. There was lots of dramatic footage and anguish on the news.

I'm at 8,000' elevation and while it's true the riding season here can be abbreviated, we occasionally get some mild days in the winter (40's - 50's) and I am usually able to wheel one of the bikes out for a few chilly hours each month. I keep the boys on a diet of Stabil and Battery Tender -- there's no hibernating through these winters. Rode the yellow bike 140 miles in the mountains this past Sunday, at elevations as high as 10,000'. It was in the 30's but the roads were clean, dry, and empty, so it was perfect. This coming weekend? I don't think I'll be going anywhere.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    ^^^ I really miss living out your way, Littleton, and being able to ride year around. Lived there back in the early '80s and with no salt on the roads, anytime the temp got up into the mid 40's I was out riding.

Around here, in my neck of the woods, the politicians believe that their chances of getting re-elected is directly proportional to how much salt they put on the roads. So unless we get a good rain to wash the salt off the roads, the bikes usually hibernate between December and late March.

Good to hear that Noel is not being seriously affected by the recent storms.