What GPS for F800gs are you using? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

09-05-09
    Good evening all,
    In less than a few weeks away i have my new F800gs coming to me.. i am wondering what GPS unit other F800 owners are using and how they are mounted. I was looking at the BMW nav III and cradle but am unsure.

thank you,

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

07-17-12
    There are so many ways to mount a GPS that I think you could make most anything work that you wanted. I've always used RAM mounts with a model specific attachment. Which GPS? Well that can start a huge discussion but most importantly what do YOU want the GPS to do? For me personally my needs are very simple. I don't need a GPS that tells me where to go, I just want a realtime map to look at, and for me it's just a novelty around civilization, off road is where I really appreciate it. IF you do use it off road make sure your unit is capable of a "tracks" feature, which leaves a trail on the map as to where you've been, I couldn't believe that some of the newer high end units don't do that. An accurate speedo is a plus and I even like the altimeter. Make sure it's submersible as you may someday. I've had a Garmin 76C for years and it does all I want and has proved VERY durable, an trust me I've tried out the shock ability! If I needed a new one today I'd get the newer version that has an increased memory capacity.

Here's the only decent pic with a riders eye view of how it sits, if you want a better shot of the ram mount, I'll go take one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3866 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	5691  

10-12-14
    Along the same lines is the Garmin GPSMAP60CX series. Far more versatile than the motorcycle-dedicated units and a lot less expensive. With a 2GB card they will hold the map database for all of North America.

Name:	DSCN0820 (855 x 642).jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	5693  
    Dave
    '06 Triumph Scrambler 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Stephanie
    03-10-13
    We've been using Garmin units for years and are very happy with them. EmmBeeDee has a 60CSX and I've got the 76CSX. Here's a photo of EmmBeeDee's setup with Ram mount:

And here's my setup for the 76(without the 76 actually on the bike, you can see the mounting system better)

This is the 76 here:

I like the 76 because its easier to use the big buttons with gloves on than the fiddly smaller ones on the 60 but functionally they are pretty much the same.

The Ram mounts are very versatile. A good website to see all the permutations of mountings, etc, is http://www.gpscentral.ca/. Lots of good info there...

We use our units for geocaching as well as navigating in the car and on the bikes, the handhelds are best for all round use and these ones are completely waterproof as well.
    ---Stephanie---
    2008 F650GS (Jutta) with ABS , 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S, 2003 VW Golf TDI (Teddy) 

Real Name
    David
    01-31-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    I've got the Garmin GPSmap276C mounted to Touratech's lockable MVG mount. That way I can leave it on the bike if I stop for lunch or have to leave it out of sight for a short time. I've got a 512MB data card in it, so I can have all of the western US/Canada available at any time. I don't remember what I paid for it (got it a few years ago off of eBay, and used it on three different bikes now), but I think it was ~US$500. It's got a large, color screen with very readable maps, gives you all the data you could possibly want, including altitude and a volt meter, it auto-routes, has up-to-date POIs (gas, food, lodging), and if you're also a sailor, you get marine chart/tide data as well. And of course it's waterproof.

David

07-17-12
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
    I've got the Garmin GPSmap276C ........... and a volt meter,[/IMG]
    I forgot that some units had a volt meter. I'm jealous, so handy not having to install a seperate gauge on your bike, and since you probably tap into the bikes power anyway.

Real Name
    David
    01-31-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
    I forgot that some units had a volt meter. I'm jealous, so handy not having to install a seperate gauge on your bike, and since you probably tap into the bikes power anyway.
    Yeah Dave, I only wish it had a laser, so I could use it to align the chain.

David

12-08-13
    Zumo with a TT mount here.

His - '07 K1200GT, '09 F800GS
    Hers - '04 R1150RT
    Ours - 07 F800ST  

Real Name
    Fred
    10-21-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Zumo.

Fred

05-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 TE250
    BMW Zumo (3 year warranty) on a techmount.
    I would probably get the navigator III, straight from Garmin instead of the BMW branded unit (I believe it is the streetpilot but that series seems to be discontinued by Garmin...), if I had to replace mine right now.
    Cages: 85 Toyota 4wd, 04 VW Golf TDI 

Real Name
    David Fick
    08-09-10
    I have a Zumo because it gives you bluetooth and radio if you go with the XM option. It is the only GPS with thes eoptions. I added "best of Sirius" to the XM channels and can now listen to NFL games riding between the farm and Annapolis on Sunday afternoons.

I run the audio through a Baehr audio system, which also gives us an intercom for the passenger. The boom microphone for the Baehr also alows me to use my blackberry cell phone, which links in to the Zumo through the standard Garmin bluetooth function. The Zumo downloads the phonebook from the blackberry, and the two-way communication is clear as a bell even at highway speeds.

Here's a couple pictures of my setup.

Name:	F800GS 017.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	5705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F800GS 018.jpg 
Views:	761 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	5706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F800GS 020.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	5707  

05-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 TE250
    Amusingly, to me, the bluetooth seems to work better on my bike than my car's built-in bluetooth.
    My mom calls and always knows when I am in the car due to some kind of echo but she doesn't realize when I am riding down the road (up to about 70).
    I use the Cardo Scalarider teamset ($140) but I only play highly compressed MP3's on my Zumo, I don't care about the radio.

DMFick, are those LED's to a voltmeter?

09-05-09
    After talking to a person, from Garmin, who is a biker he suggested the 450. I picked it up on Amazon for $375 with free delivery. It looks like it will work fine. I had an older 2610 which was fine but I could not update it with my Mac...this I can!

12-08-13
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
    After talking to a person, from Garmin, who is a biker he suggested the 450. I picked it up on Amazon for $375 with free delivery. It looks like it will work fine. I had an older 2610 which was fine but I could not update it with my Mac...this I can!
    Lots of deals on the 450 since Garmin discontinued it. There are also rumors of a replacement for the 550 being announced in the future.
    Hers - '04 R1150RT
    Ours - 07 F800ST  

Real Name
    Jim
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I did not realize the 450 had been discontinued....
    I'm waffling as I might want bluetooth.

If the 550 gets replaced I think that would be a great thing to pick up at the "firesale"....

Thanks!
    Jim
    Blue 2009 F650GS - H-B crash bars, TT luggage rack, Pelican top case, BMW Vario Panniers & bash plate, 20mm handlebar risers, LED voltmeter, Sargent seat, MudSling, a few other trinkets ... I may be just about at the end of the farkle train  

Real Name
    Fred
    10-21-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    The trouble with the 450 is if you need any of the accessories that come with the 550, such as the car bracket, you will quickly pay more piecemeal than if you bought the 550 from the get-go. I've found the Zumo is great in the car, so I only own one GPS.

If the 550 is replaced soon, contact me to buy my 550 because I like new stuff!

Fred

12-08-13
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwooden View Post
    I did not realize the 450 had been discontinued....
    I'm waffling as I might want bluetooth.

If the 550 gets replaced I think that would be a great thing to pick up at the "firesale"....

Thanks!
    Jim
    The prices on the 550's have been coming down, which is one of the things that has spurred some of the internet conjecture on a replacement for the 550 being in the wings. The other thing that has been stirring things up was Garmin's introduction of a waterproof nuvi. It's not listed for use with Motorcycles on their website, but one can only guess that any smart manufacturer would try to reutilize technology and manufacturing resources whenever possible.

I like Fred tend to go for the newest farkle, so I might have two for sale in the future as well.
    Hers - '04 R1150RT
    Ours - 07 F800ST  

Real Name
    Doug
    07-03-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    GPSCity.ca still has 450s which I bought at over 200 less than the 550. The car mount was 100 bucks.

Real Name
    Bruce Bowman
    06-11-11
    Motorcycle
    '10 Tiger 1050
    Garmin's Zumo 550 with the Garmin cradle, TT MvG vibration mount with a lock, and the TT mount adaptor. I also got the TT Garmin/BMW cable to allow power connection to the CAN-bus connector under the fairing.

Bruce

04-08-11
    I have a Zumo 550 on the bike but am considering swapping it out with my 60 CSX and putting the Zumo on a different bike.

The Zumo has nice features like a fuel gauge that displays a one button shortcut to find the nearest gas that you can set the mileage trigger for, all the audio capabilities (that I am not using) and the touch screen display is large and really nice.

But the 60CSX has better tracks, and as Desert Dave mentioned, this is a really good feature if you venture off the roads. Another good feature is the 10+ hour battery life, should you have to hike out , you can easily take the GPS with you.
    Dan-A, BMW MOA # 137114
    --------> 2009 F800GS
    Blog: DanzGarage.net  

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-A View Post
    ... But the 60CSX has better tracks, and as Desert Dave mentioned, this is a really good feature if you venture off the roads. Another good feature is the 10+ hour battery life, should you have to hike out , you can easily take the GPS with you.
    Battery life on the 60CSx and 76CSx is actually rated at "18 hours, Typical" by Garmin, and if you use the battery saver mode it's a lot longer. Battery Saver polls the satelites every 5 seconds instead of 1 second intervals.

I'm amazed at how long my batteries last.
    "The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.  

Desert SW AZ-J is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    A new Zumo, model no. 660 (yes, there was a nuvi 660 now gone) is scheduled to be released (shown at least) January 8 at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas. I go Friday 1/9 so I hope to see it myself. I need a Zumo, too and I am awaiting this new one.
    AZ-J
    See my pretty bike here: http://tiny.cc/MyBike

05-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 TE250
    Let us know what it looks like. Take a pair of gloves (if you don't ride there) and try it out with gloves!
    Do you have one of the Zumo's now to compare against?

07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by midengineracer View Post
    Let us know what it looks like. Take a pair of gloves (if you don't ride there) and try it out with gloves!
    Do you have one of the Zumo's now to compare against?
    Looks like? See attachment, captured in PDF right from Garmin's website, and converted to jpg, to post here.

Gloves? I am not taking gloves to CES (its a trade show for the trade), but rest assured Garmin knows what it is doing!

Have a Zumo? I had one from early 12/07 until late 10/08 when my F800S was lemoned out and the BMW Zumo went with. But, I had a StreePilot i5 long before the nuvi was released, now use a nuvi 770, and wife uses former nuvi 680, so I have plenty of reference! Also, since I'll likely see it, I'll know things about it I can transpose to gloves since I have worn many a pair of those.

I am also planning to get one, when I can.

Name:	On The Road.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	5752  
    Last edited by AZ-J; 01-04-09 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added last part on getting one.
    AZ-J

05-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 TE250
    I have cruised a bit on the net and see speculation (and mentioning that the original stuff was removed by Garmin very quickly) but do not see what would be a Zumo replacement. The stuff in that picture looks very car oriented and makes me think there was a bit of confusion on their part. Meaning, I think there is a replacement coming but I don't think the included picture is going to be accurate. Pure conjecture for me at this point.

As far as the gloves, trade show or not, I would take gloves. I am less pleased with my Zumo 550 response to gloves compared to my bare fingers. It responds well but not how I would prefer (I have to adjust between gloves and bare fingers) when I am using it.
    If it is marketed towards motorcycle navigation, I would think the gloves are more pertinent.
    Your experience with Garmin in general will be appreciated in a general comparison.

It is a shame you had the Zumo lemoned with the F800S, that doesn't sound like normal (from the car side though), I wouldn't be surprised if someone at that dealership is rolling around with a late 2007 Zumo navi for free... I am still trying to figure out all the differences between the car and motorcycle sides of the house, it is harder since I am not a bike mechanic...

07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    1) My F800S with Zumo was picked up by truck, and sent to Montvale, NJ, and for their own sake, I hope no one decided to ride it too much without replacing the entire electronics and drive train. The d*mn thing would power off while moving and with key on, locking up the rear wheel and disengaging the ABS and they could never solve it. I can't tell you about the 1/2 dozen times or more, I had to emergency act to pull in the clutch with left hand, use the brake pedal to slow down (or put my feet down), and with right hand, key off, key on - nothing, repeat 3-6 times, and the moment the OBC finally lit up again, hit start and move further down the road. Where my Zumo went is anyone's guess, but my dealership did not get it. They spent $6K trying to fix it for a month, I hope they recouped that.
    2) I go to CES for one-day and during that day, I see clients, and a lot of e-gear, including several GPS units, cell tel units, PCs, software, Windows 7, printers, network items, etc. I saw a prototype GPS that looks a lot like that picture you think is conjecture, last year, so I know that picture is accurate. I carry only biz stuff up in a sleeve with laptop and several burned and labeled CDs and DVDs, so again I will not be taking any gloves, BUT if you are less pleased with glove response compared to bare fingers on a Zumo, join the club. I know the difference, the nuvi 770 is eons better than the 680 was.
    3) Do you use or plan to use a BT headset? I did, and I hated it! I already have the wired headset ready for the next one, and at least if I use the Zumo for music, it'll be stereo. BT 1.0 is mono only and it stinks above 60 mph.

Believe me, I know tech hardware as well as most IT personnel, I build my own PCs when I need a new one in 15 minutes (and then let them install the OS for an hour), and I run a gigabit ethernet network here at home. I was bike mechanic'ing in jr. high school, amplifier building after that (for the band I was in) and patenting circuit boards and software in the 80's. Now we patent processes. And when that's all done, we sue the infringers often using web jurisdiction to make them come to AZ. I am just now settling a trademark, trade dress, infringement and RICO action for same against infringer in IL and its counsel. I expect to that this week before I go to CES, but you never know.

I'll be out of pocket tomorrow and Friday. Packing now for tomorrow so this is it for me. Love to ride with you some time, though. I'll post as early as late Friday, but probably Saturday after a long sleep (CES is a 5 AM to 9 PM day).
    AZ-J

05-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 TE250
    Enjoy the sleep, I can definitely appreciate that with my work schedule. Your furthre explanation makes more sense now and I appreciate you feelings about gloves like I do.

I only use BT, I do not care about stereo or mono, it is back-ground noise for me. It does bother me for passenger and directional news but not enough to really care.

I liked most of the stuff except the RICO portion. I am vehemently anti-big-government (amusing from a military guy but not unexpected...)
    I too look for a good ride with you! What kind of stuff do you do? Let me know in a PM if you don't want to hi-jack the thread, or start a new one. I am glad to run on the road (at lower speeds) and on the dirt (again, at lower speeds ) with my GS and 'slightly' higher speeds with my RT (I am still a little nervous after my accident on the big bike!

07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    The RICO stuff was civil RICO, for the infringer conspiring with counel to infringe the trademarks and using mail to do so (as in mail fraud). No big gov't there.

With my R1200S, I ride strictly street, but AZ has such great roads, anyway. But I do have a lot experience with GPS tech and other tech as a patent attorney for 25+ years.
    AZ-J

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    Quote Originally Posted by philspace View Post
    Zumo with a TT mount here.

Tell me about your winshield set up. Looks like the BMW touring but what is the add on? thanks Jack

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    Quote Originally Posted by dmfick View Post
    I have a Zumo because it gives you bluetooth and radio if you go with the XM option. It is the only GPS with thes eoptions. I added "best of Sirius" to the XM channels and can now listen to NFL games riding between the farm and Annapolis on Sunday afternoons.

I run the audio through a Baehr audio system, which also gives us an intercom for the passenger. The boom microphone for the Baehr also alows me to use my blackberry cell phone, which links in to the Zumo through the standard Garmin bluetooth function. The Zumo downloads the phonebook from the blackberry, and the two-way communication is clear as a bell even at highway speeds.

Here's a couple pictures of my setup.
    Buy your Garmin zumo 550 direct or after market. The BMW does not have XM or WX. Try Best Buy they sometimes have specials. I bought mine from them for $425. I bought the XM antennae from some mail order in Las Vegas for $135

09-05-09
    I've got the Garmin GPSmap276C mounted to Touratech's lockable MVG mount. That way I can leave it on the bike if I stop for lunch or have to leave it out of sight for a short time. I've got a 512MB data card in it, so I can have all of the western US/Canada available at any time. I don't remember what I paid for it (got it a few years ago off of eBay, and used it on three different bikes now), but I think it was ~US$500. It's got a large, color screen with very readable maps, gives you all the data you could possibly want, including altitude and a volt meter, it auto-routes, has up-to-date POIs (gas, food, lodging), and if you're also a sailor, you get marine chart/tide data as well. And of course it's waterproof.

David
    Hi Dave,

Is this a marine GPS? are they still useable on the road? i gather these are not a turn by turn gps. i am looking for a GPS that will take me away yet geive me good results offroad. BMW navigator are bulky and very expensive.. i dont lke them!

Would you be so kind tell us what TT number you used. did the mount bolt straigh onto your bars or did you need another bracket? numbers and photos would be much appreciated, i think im going to go this way myself.

cheers
    Last edited by lilgs; 01-06-09 at 08:10 AM.

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgs View Post
    Hi Dave,

Is this a marine GPS? are they still useable on the road? i gather these are not a turn by turn gps. i am looking for a GPS that will take me away yet geive me good results offroad. BMW navigator are bulky and very expensive.. i dont lke them!

This is what I'd buy if I wasn't so happy with my 60CSx. Garmin Oregon Flash Site

And this is the specs site

Copied from the site:

Get in touch with your wild side with Oregon 400t. This next-generation handheld features a rugged, touchscreen along with preloaded topographic maps, 3-D map view, a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter, electronic compass, microSD™ card slot, picture viewer and more. Even exchange tracks, waypoints, routes and geocaches wirelessly between similar units.

Awesome...
    "The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.  

Real Name
    David
    01-31-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Hi Dave,

It's both a road and a marine GPS. Here's a link to it on Garmin's site. And yes, it does auto-route and give turn-by-turn instructions, including re-routing for detours, etc. And the map database shows roads down to what I'd almost call single-track. I've been on some trails that I've barely been able to follow with my eyes, and yet they show up on the GPS. You can also install auto-routing maps from outside No. America, and (non-routing) topo maps are also available.

Would you be so kind tell us what TT number you used. did the mount bolt straigh onto your bars or did you need another bracket? numbers and photos would be much appreciated, i think im going to go this way myself.
    This is the TT mount, Part No. 065-0088. You do have to also buy this adapter, Part No. 048-0210 which attaches to the handlebar mounting clamps (I installed mine backwards to set the GPS farther back). Though you can also attach the TT mount to a RAM mount or something similar. But that defeats your ability to lock it onto the bike. Sorry, I don't have any close-up pictures of the assembly without the GPS mounted.

David

36. Thankslilgs thanked for this post

08-26-10
    I'm using a simple TomTom 130 ($125) with a RAM Mount. Cheap, simple, and works for me.

Real Name
    Carter
    07-31-13
    60CSX. The track function is way better than some of the fancier units, which is important to me.
    "The Mother Road remains, it provides no more. It can only take us away" 

Real Name
    David
    01-31-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by ]I)Money View Post
    60CSX. The track function is way better than some of the fancier units, which is important to me.
    What is it you like better about the 60CSx's tracking function? The specs listed on the Garmin site show it to be the same as my GPSmap 276C (and several others): 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks.

David

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    What is it you like better about the 60CSx's tracking function? The specs listed on the Garmin site show it to be the same as my GPSmap 276C (and several others): 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks.

David
    While the tracking function is similar if not identical on your particular unit, many more expensive units don't track as well, if at all.

One of the 60/76CSx advantages is that you can track to a huge Micro SD memory card. And it doesn't require those expensive Garmin data cards. And the weight of the 276c is a bit of an issue. And the internal lithium battery means you're not able to just put in a fresh set of AAs in an emergency... those are some of the advantages IMO.

Real Name
    David
    01-31-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmBeeDee View Post
    While the tracking function is similar if not identical on your particular unit, many more expensive units don't track as well, if at all.

One of the 60/76CSx advantages is that you can track to a huge Micro SD memory card. And it doesn't require those expensive Garmin data cards. And the weight of the 276c is a bit of an issue. And the internal lithium battery means you're not able to just put in a fresh set of AAs in an emergency... those are some of the advantages IMO.
    Good points, though I've hard wired my GPS, (and it runs for 10 hours without it) so the battery isn't much of an issue.

But I think you're absolutely right about the importance of a good tracking feature. I rode out onto the playa in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada a while back and didn't follow my GPS track back to the same place I entered. Found some mud instead. Took me a half a day to get out of there.

David

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Good points, though I've hard wired my GPS, (and it runs for 10 hours without it) so the battery isn't much of an issue.

But I think you're absolutely right about the importance of a good tracking feature. I rode out onto the playa in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada a while back and didn't follow my GPS track back to the same place I entered. Found some mud instead. Took me a half a day to get out of there.
    That's an impressive picture, and one of the reasons I prefer the smaller more portable units - in that situation if you had to leave the bike, and hike to get help, you'd be better off with a unit you could change the batteries on if they died. You could carry a spare as they seem to be replaceable without too much fuss.

There does seem to be a fair amount of bitching re the 276c battery life on here.

While I'd like a larger screen on my gps, it's just not worth it to me.

Real Name
    David
    01-31-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmBeeDee View Post
    ...in that situation if you had to leave the bike, and hike to get help, you'd be better off with a unit you could change the batteries on if they died.
    Trust me on this, Mike. If I had had to hike off of the playa that day, I sure wouldn't have needed a GPS to find my way. That place sort of defines flat (it's where the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThrustSSC was set).

And notwithstanding the people who apparently have had problems with their Li-ion batteries, I've had good luck with mine. It still holds a 10-hour charge, and the unit is at least 5 or 6 years old. Plus, I wouldn't want to have to carry along a bunch of spare AAs on a several week-long trip.

This battery conundrum get batted around on several digital camera forums I frequent as well. But I'm squarely in the rechargeable camp. Even on trips of 6 week's length, in places like Tibet and the Central Asian republics, I've never been unable to recharge my batteries within a few days.

David

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    I have 5 different GPS's in bikes, cars and telephone and airplane. Spend a little more for the Garmin 550 and you won't regret it. Do not buy the one that BMW sells. It is overpriced and is not capable of sterio, weather, traffic and XM. I bought my Garmin 550 from Best Buy for $425, a one week special. many availabe on the internet for just a little more than that. The XM antennae was $135, (list $195) from a mail order in Las Vegas. The XM radio is actually in the antennae. (reason for high cost for the antennae)

I have a Big Ear inc. in the ear head phones and the XM sterio is sweet. It also is capable of full time WX (thunder storms--sat WX picture-- rain showers etc.) and traffic alerts and automatic reroutes. These features are terriffic for a few dollars more on your monthly contract. It does every thing and more than my $20,000 Garmin 530 I have in my airplane. BMW (garmin) gps is not capable of any of the above built in features.

My wife and I both have nav in our Blackberrys and I use that on my F650GS2 or the Garmin 550. Or I can use it on any of my six bikes, Polais Ranger or hiking with built in batterys being charged.

And now the best part: most BMW motorcycles have a ready plug and play hookup in the fork area. No wiring involved. I mounted mine in minutes. Look for it, it is there. My 2008 R1200RT and my 2009 F650GS2 (twin) have this factory plug in for the Garmin. Power comes on with ignition and is turned off when ignition is turned off. Garmin has a built in delay and turns itself off after two minutes. Few people know about this factory plug and the few dollars more you spend for the unit is is regained by simple self installation. Direct battery hook up is not recommended. You can't forget to turn it off and run your battery down using the factory provided plugin wired through the ignition.

Hpoe this helps, Jack

45. ThanksStanley thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS

As a former R1150GS owner myself, I can practically smell the clutch while looking at that picture.

07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I have 5 different GPS's in bikes, cars and telephone and airplane. Spend a little more for the Garmin 550 and you won't regret it. Do not buy the one that BMW sells. It is overpriced and is not capable of sterio, weather, traffic and XM. I bought my Garmin 550 from Best Buy for $425, a one week special. many availabe on the internet for just a little more than that. The XM antennae was $135, (list $195) from a mail order in Las Vegas. The XM radio is actually in the antennae. (reason for high cost for the antennae)

I have a Big Ear inc. in the ear head phones and the XM sterio is sweet. It also is capable of full time WX (thunder storms--sat WX picture-- rain showers etc.) and traffic alerts and automatic reroutes. These features are terriffic for a few dollars more on your monthly contract. It does every thing and more than my $20,000 Garmin 530 I have in my airplane. BMW (garmin) gps is not capable of any of the above built in features.

My wife and I both have nav in our Blackberrys and I use that on my F650GS2 or the Garmin 550. Or I can use it on any of my six bikes, Polais Ranger or hiking with built in batterys being charged.

And now the best part: most BMW motorcycles have a ready plug and play hookup in the fork area. No wiring involved. I mounted mine in minutes. Look for it, it is there. My 2008 R1200RT and my 2009 F650GS2 (twin) have this factory plug in for the Garmin. Power comes on with ignition and is turned off when ignition is turned off. Garmin has a built in delay and turns itself off after two minutes. Few people know about this factory plug and the few dollars more you spend for the unit is is regained by simple self installation. Direct battery hook up is not recommended. You can't forget to turn it off and run your battery down using the factory provided plugin wired through the ignition.

Hpoe this helps, Jack
    I am not saying to buy the BMW Zumo, but it is not only capable of traffic, it comes with an FM traffic antenna and a free 3 month subscription to traffic! It cannot do XM, but it can play music for hours, if you have music on an SD card and put it in the Zumo.

Also know, neither the BMW or Garmin Zumo can play back XM through a blue tooth head set, but they can play MP3 music that way. So, if you want to use a BT headset, buy whichever Zumo you want except the 450, it won't do BT at all.
    AZ-J

Real Name
    Ben
    02-09-11
    Motorcycle
    '08 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by dresda View Post
    We've been using Garmin units for years and are very happy with them. EmmBeeDee has a 60CSX and I've got the 76CSX. Here's a photo of EmmBeeDee's setup with Ram mount:

And here's my setup for the 76(without the 76 actually on the bike, you can see the mounting system better)

This is the 76 here:

I like the 76 because its easier to use the big buttons with gloves on than the fiddly smaller ones on the 60 but functionally they are pretty much the same.

The Ram mounts are very versatile. A good website to see all the permutations of mountings, etc, is http://www.gpscentral.ca/. Lots of good info there...

We use our units for geocaching as well as navigating in the car and on the bikes, the handhelds are best for all round use and these ones are completely waterproof as well.
    I have the similar set up as Dresda GPS 60CSX but with both lockable Touratech and Ram mounts. I like the Garmin as I can switch between Topographical and Road maps by changing the micro SD card. Really useful to have a Topo map when you're off the tarmac.

2008 Iceberg Blue F650GS  

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I have the similar set up as Dresda GPS 60CSX but with both lockable Touratech and Ram mounts. I like the Garmin as I can switch between Topographical and Road maps by changing the micro SD card. Really useful to have a Topo map when you're off the tarmac.
    You probably already know this, Blackie, but for the benefit of others who might be trying to choose the GPS for them, I thought I'd describe a bit about the map situation.

There's no need to switch cards to change maps unless your cards are only just large enough to hold each map set. I have 1 Micro SD card, I think it's a 2 Gigabyte, and it holds the basemap, Canada Enhanced Basemap, Canada Roads and Recreation, NA City Select, Metroguide Canada and Topo maps for all of Eastern Ontario in 684 megabytes, leaving lots of room for tracks on the same card.

This also includes the auto-routing information for those products which have it like NA City Select. Yes, the 60CSx and 76CSx (essentially the same thing) do auto-routing, giving you turn by turn directions if you want it.

With this in my 60CSx it's just a matter of switching from one or more of the maps to get the one which covers the area I am in, the way I want to see it.

Here's the screen on the 60CSx where you select the map you want to see:

What a lot of people don't realize is that these maps don't "overlay" on the gps when you enable more than one mapset on the device. By this I mean that it's possible that if you have, say, Metroguide and Topo enabled at the same time, for instance, one product may actually prevent you from seeing what you want in the other mapset.

It's best to try each map individually on the screen to see what level of detail it has on its own.

I find most of the time I run with Topo Canada V2 and it gives me everything I need for both on road and off.

One other thing which I find very useful with the Garmin "X" 60CSx, 76CSx, models and some of the others in the Garmin line is the ability to load "Points of Interest". This includes but is not limited to, say, all the Tim Hortons coffee shops in NA, or all the Starbucks, or Target stores, or BMW dealers. Liquor stores, beer stores, speed cameras, you get the idea I'm sure.

Garmin's POI Loader is available here.

Check out this site, POIFriend, to see the kind of POIs people are assembling. Once you download the POI files from the site you can upload them to the GPS and really customise the GPS for the kinds of things you want to find or avoid.

Not all Garmin units work with POI Loader so check the site to see if the model you have will.

Other brands of GPS have their own ways of uploading POIs to them but Garmin is the only brand I am familiar with.

Hope this helps.

50. Thanksblackie, Bruce.B, Stanley thanked for this post

09-05-09
    Does the Garmin 276C have sound?
    with the bare wire kit does it allow the intercom to tap into it?

thanks.

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    I am not saying to buy the BMW Zumo, but it is not only capable of traffic, it comes with an FM traffic antenna and a free 3 month subscription to traffic! It cannot do XM, but it can play music for hours, if you have music on an SD card and put it in the Zumo.

Also know, neither the BMW or Garmin Zumo can play back XM through a blue tooth head set, but they can play MP3 music that way. So, if you want to use a BT headset, buy whichever Zumo you want except the 450, it won't do BT at all.
    No XM or WX on BMW garmin version. Yes the BMW has MP3 but in mono not stereo. I like the WX when traveling x-country. Thunderstorms and rainshowers are depicted on the screen and can therefor be avoided.

BMW version is $995 (no BMW discounts) vs $400 - 500 Garmin street prices. You simply get more for less!

Real Name
    David
    01-31-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Does the Garmin 276C have sound?
    with the bare wire kit does it allow the intercom to tap into it?
    By sound, do you mean music? If so, no. The only sounds it makes are beep alerts.

Here again is the link to the Garmin page for the 276C. All you want to know is there.

David

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    By sound, do you mean music? If so, no. The only sounds it makes are beep alerts.

Here again is the link to the Garmin page for the 276C. All you want to know is there.

David
    So does the 276c not have a USB connection? And the Garmin Data Cards look like they are a maximum 512 Megabyte, and cost $150? Is this correct? And it doesn't seem possible to use the USB Data Card Programmer to send data to the card? The card has to be in the GPS to do it? Must take forever to upload maps.

I remember how long it took my old GPS V, with only 24 Mb, to load maps via serial cable, but not fondly.

Seems kind of unbelievable.

The display is nice, but it's the only thing I like about the unit. Obviously a great device if you're on the water, but it wouldn't be my choice for a bike unit.

Real Name
    Carter
    07-31-13
    MBD pretty much covered my reply on why, thanks! I was, in fact, talking about the non "map" series, when talking about tracks.
    For me, the battery issue is also key; I've hit patches on the bike and in iraq where I didn't have a chance to recharge.
    "The Mother Road remains, it provides no more. It can only take us away" 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast