F800GT full LED headlights system - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

2 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gree2054 View Post
    Here is a write up from my experiences in doing this LED install.
    DO NOT expect to install these LED bulbs without taking a lot of plastic apart. It is probably possible, but for me I took the headlight assembly off.
    First, I got the caps from Shapeways.com, which BlueSkip made (Remi). Use a dremel tool to remove the center material,Attachment 190722 then glue them in place. I used a two compound liquid glue. This took less than an hour to complete. Attachment 190714
    Attachment 190730
    Taking off all the plastic is not hard and only took me 45 minutes to complete. Here are the steps (from Blueskip):
    “- remove the saddle
    - remove the central cover from the airbox (fake tank alike) you DO NOT
    -remove the two black plastic triangles (L&R) from each side of the gauges
    -remove the low side fairings (L&R)
    - remove the mirrors
    -remove the up side fairings (L&R)
    -remove the windscreen
    - gently pop out the ambient air temp sensor support from the headlight block and leave it hanging from its harness
    -turn CCW 90° the little running light support to remove it and leave it hanging from its harness
    -gently pull straight out the headlight power connector (oval shaped) from the headlight block. It is connected between the two lights and has a 90° socket.
    - unscrew the 4 screws that hold the headlight block onto the front structure. These screws are inserted from front towards the rear into some sort of aluminum clips. Warning: if you see traces of blue thread-lock on the exposed threads, do not attempt to overcome the torque. Instead gently heat the screw tip with a soldering iron for 30s and this would gently loosen the thread-lock without creating damage.
    - drop out the headlight assembly”Attachment 190738
    Attachment 190746
    It seemed that these clips were impossible to place in with these LED lights since the blubs have a big fan behind them, but I used a pair of hemostats to hook the end of the wire retainer onto the proper loop.Attachment 190754 NOT easy, but can be done so don’t freak out and take your time.

I used 3M outdoor double sided tape to secure the small box for each bulb.Attachment 190762 You DO NOT need the resistors supplied to circumvent the CANBUS system. They are not needed. I used zipties to tiddy up in there. Attachment 190770

Following the previous directions in reverse will get everything buttoned up. Yes, you will probably need to re position the aim of these bulbs with the nobs after this install. Attachment 190778

Well this turned out to be a PITA. I had a go at installing the Cyclops H7 bulb. Against my better judgement, I decided to start work 45 mins before sunset (I'm in an apartment so working on the drive outside). That turned out to be a mistake. The Cyclops bulb base dropped into the rear of the headlight housing when I was trying to put it in. Then the retaining clip disappeared. I have NFI where it is. I hope somewhere in the housing as I can't see it on the ground. %@%$.

I'll have to pull the headlight assembly out. Are there any step by step instruction anywhere? I looked and the quoted text is as best as I can find but after my bulb experience I could do with some more pics.

That also mentions blue thread locker on the last 4 screws holding the headlight assembly. Is that on all bikes or only some?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
    ...... Then the retaining clip disappeared. I have NFI where it is. I hope somewhere in the housing as I can't see it on the ground. %@%$........
    It looks as though you are another that has fallen foul of the bulb retaining clip. Under normal circumstances the clip can't fall away from the headlamp if it has it strongly suggest you are going to have to apply one of the fixes listed by a number of forum members. The thread below shows this issue.

https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...light=headlamp
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

2 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by MGD109 View Post
    It looks as though you are another that has fallen foul of the bulb retaining clip. Under normal circumstances the clip can't fall away from the headlamp if it has it strongly suggest you are going to have to apply one of the fixes listed by a number of forum members. The thread below shows this issue.

https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...light=headlamp
    Thank you for the link. To top it off, I went for another look (in the dark by now; I did mention I made the mistake of starting 45 mis before sunset) for the missing clip. I did manage to find the metal clip on the ground intact. While I was looking for it with a Maglight flashlight I noticed the batteries were going flat. So I went back to change the Maglight 3 x D cell batteries. The batteries have corroded solid inside the Maglight, even though I always use either Energiser or Duracell batteries. So now I have a daytime only F800GT and a busted Maglight

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    [QUOTE=Biscuits;2858829........So now I have a daytime only F800GT ......[/QUOTE]

If you still have a functioning high beam have a read of the thread I linked to there is an explanation how to dip the headlamp unit to give better aim if your is loaded up with pillion and luggage. If you are riding solo should give a high beam that points low enough to get away with it at night.

Another thing you may want to bear in mind after all this hassle, come MOT time you'll need to swap back to halogen to get a pass.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

2 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by MGD109 View Post
    If you still have a functioning high beam have a read of the thread I linked to there is an explanation how to dip the headlamp unit to give better aim if your is loaded up with pillion and luggage. If you are riding solo should give a high beam that points low enough to get away with it at night.

Another thing you may want to bear in mind after all this hassle, come MOT time you'll need to swap back to halogen to get a pass.
    I read up on removing the headlight assembly myself and did not like what I read... mainly the threalocker on the last 4 assembly screws and the captive nuts on the mirrors breaking free of their captivity. So I decided to take it to BMW to see if they could fix it. I'm glad I did. I am not exaggerating: two BMW techs worked on it non stop for over two hours. I could see into the workshop so that's how I know they were working on it non-stop rather than also working on other bikes. The first 20 or 30 mins, they tried fitting the bulb retainer clip, but they (told to me afterwards) kept dropping it, so they decided to take the headlight assembly out. That took the remaining two hours as they had trouble getting the fairing back on. Fortunately they only charged me an hours labour for one person, plus a bulb.

They did install a washer so the bulb retainer clip can't fall out again.

I'm rethinking installing any replacement H7 bulb at all as this was just horrific. I have ordered some Denali D2 aux lights which look like they should be quite easy to install, once I make a bracket.

Real Name
    Chris
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    If the dealer's mechanics did the "fix" MGD109 mentioned above, you'll never have a problem replacing a headlight bulb again. I'd look at some aux lights, but for being seen, not because you don't want to touch the headlight bulb again.

Denali lights are good, but there are some that are as good or better...and much cheaper. I've used lights from ADVMonster on a couple bikes and liked their products. When the Clearwater lights the first owner put on this bike fail, I'll be replacing them with some from ADVMonster.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    NOTE: My dash warning light was coming ON/OFF last night on the R1200RT just as we were getting into town while using the compact LED - I am not sure if the light was going ON/OFF as it was still daylight.......or if the Canbus system was having trouble recognizing the 25Watt LED. On the ride home it functioned fine. I need to use this LED to see if it works correctly......I have 30 days to find out as I can return it.

I just bought and installed a set of these "smaller" sized Lasfit bulbs in my R1200RT. I could not get any of the larger bulbs to fit inside the light housing.....and these fit great once I modified the dust housing.

These may fit in the F800GT without the extended caps - I am not sure. They claim they are 2,500 lumens which is more than a stock filament bulb is supposed to provide at 1,500 lumens - but far less than the Cyclops claimed 4,000 lumens that I currently have in my F800GT. The larger Lasfit unit is 3,800 lumens and you may want to use that one.....it may require the use of extended caps.

I went for a short ride last night and they appeared to work very well and provided a nice beam pattern.

https://www.lasfit.com/collections/h...eadlight-bulbs

I have attached photos that show the size of the normal size Lasfit lights in comparison with their new reduced size lights....even the plug and wire size are less bulky! The 3rd photo shows how much shorter the smaller bulb is, and this is what allowed the bulb to fit in the R1200RT as the larger bulb stuck out too far.....and the electrical connector was too bulky.

While I have not had a chance to do a long term test in the BMW - I had early versions of the Lasfit H4 bulbs in my other motorcycles and they provided an excellent light pattern and held up well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6740.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	368625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6742.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	368627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6753.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	368633  
    Last edited by Thumpin; 09-26-20 at 06:07 AM.

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    That is a nice bulb! Thanks for posting up - LOL need one for my scooter! Had to ride it home from Barber Museum after dark during MotoAmerica. It was SCARY and I was on roads I'm familiar with. One in particular didn't have the center reflector dots or the reflective line paint. After that experience the standard F800GT lights were a dream. Hummm wonder if my Kymco scooter has a retaining clip that falls off in a difficult to retrieve place?

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I have done several days of testing/trying/riding at night in the cold....here is what I found out.

The small Lasfit light works better than the stock light, and it is an easy fit inside the stock housing without the extended cap. It has a light pattern very similar to the stock bulb - but much whiter and somewhat brighter. For full benefit you might have to adjust the light up a bit as I was shining a bit low - the vertical cut off is good. The stock bulb is claimed to be 1,500 lumens, and this LED is reported to be 2,500 lumens. The cost is currently $49.99 a pair. The photo on the website shows the LED with a large connector - however the ones I got last week came with a smaller connector. This is a easy and basic upgrade - provided you can install the lights without breaking the headlight clamp bracket (lots of info on how to fix this) clip...mine was broken when I bought the bike and it is now repaired and I can switch bulbs in a minute as I have lots of practice). I rode about 150 miles and I never got a Canbus code on the F800GT - I tried this bulb in my R1200RT and I got a Canbus error code within 6 miles.

Lasfit also makes a slightly more powerful and a more expensive $ 79.99 LED pair that provides 3,000 lumens. You may be able to get this LED installed without the extended covers - the version I was using was an older model and the fan stuck out a bit and the extended cover would be necessary on the low beam.....not sure about the high beam as I didn't try that side. The old version I had included a larger connector that is overly bulky - I hope the new versions have the smaller connector as it would make installation easier. This pair provides a noticeable improvement over the stock beam - it is whiter and brighter and throws more light to the sides and also forward. The beam pattern is good and the vertical cut off is sharp so you won't be blinding other drivers. I never got a Canbus error with this LED in either the F800GT or the R1200RT. This LED set is $30 more than the smaller set.....it does provide noticeable improvement in lighting.

Last year I installed a pair of Cyclops LED's - and I love them. The first year I had the bike I was amazed how often folks pulled out in front of me - and they acted surprised when they immediately saw me on top of them.....I just don't think the stock headlight bulb is noticeable in daylight traffic. Once I installed the Cyclops LED's it seemed like I was far more noticeable and I noticed people saw me and waited for me to pass! This light is expensive at $64.95 each....and you have to add shipping and taxes on top of that! I also believe you can carefully arrange all the parts and them to fit in the stock housing without the extended caps.....it does take several minutes of fiddling to find out how to make it work - I have the extended caps. These LED's are 4,800 lumens each which is a lot in a single bulb - but since most cars have 2 headlights pointed at me (and often a pair of driving lights as well).....so I don't regret having a bright low beam (and don't get me started on those big Ford trucks and their new 4 headlight retina wreckers). The vertical cut off is a bit fuzzier with the Cyclops than with the Lasfit bulbs - but I never have had other drivers flash me while riding at night. With a pair of Cyclops LED's and a pair of extended covers.....this set up will likely cost you close to $200 - for me the increased visibility (to see and be seen) is well worth the money, and I am going to stay with this setup. I seldom get the chance to turn the high beam on - but when both LOW/HIGH beams on the amount of light is incredible! If/when the low beam LED burns out I will likely order another Cyclops to replace it.

As I stated earlier - I prefer using the extended covers. Even though some have been able to get the LED's to fit with the stock cap. I believe having room behind the cooling fan for air flow is beneficial - and if you end up with any wire or connector sticking out of the housing, the extended caps give you room. You need one cap for each the low and high beam.
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/VH...li=marketplace

I have posted 4 new photos - the first one shows the larger connector and the new smaller connector.....the Cyclops uses a small connector as well. The second and third photos show the small Lasfit, the larger Lasfit, and the Cyclops is black and has a driver box and a bulky connector between the driver box and the LED housing....strangely enough it can all get tucked in the stock light housing (but not right away and you will have to work at it). The fourth photo is how I used a small piece of aluminum to make a mount for the wire clip - this was done to repair the broken plastic clip in the headlight......it works great. Getting it installed was a bit tricky and I had to use a mirror, light and a tool that can hold a Phillips head screw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6851.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	368945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6854.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	368949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6855.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	368947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	368969  
    Last edited by Thumpin; 10-05-20 at 08:43 AM.

12. Likes PhotoAl liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3