Riding Pants - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Gerry
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    So, my 6 year old riding pants are falling apart and need replacement. Spent a fair amount of time researching online last night and my head hurts from a lot of choices that don't seem to meet my need. Main features are armor, waterproof, some vents for airflow. Gotcha on the waterproof is I do not want layers or liners. I hate stopping to put on/off or schlep separately in luggage....a forget to bring. I also cannot pay $800-$1200 for pants.

Suggestions? I seem to get pointed to Aerostich, but there are several pant choices there too.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    NJCostello
    03-04-19
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    I like the Klim Waterproof GORE-TEX Overland Pant. At $400 they're not that bad a price. Since you want waterproof w/o a liner you need to find something that uses GoreTex.

Here are some other options:
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/976/Pants

Real Name
    Dave
    05-23-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Gerry,

Are you considering only textile pants? If not, give the Rev'it Gear2 pants some consideration. A mix of leather and textile. Good knee armor, stock hip armor is just temperfoam, so I replaced that with a sas-tech insert. Has a waterproof liner so that may put it out of your consideration. Otherwise, best pants I've ever worn. Protection of leather, good airflow from the textile, and you don't look like a power ranger with knee pucks. I've been on tours where I was in them for 12 hours straight.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...-leather-pants
    2007 F800ST-------> 2013 F800GT 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I understand your desire to not have a separate waterproof liner. Like Bill above, I recommend a pant that does have a liner and I think is worth considering.

I've been using the Olympia Airglide 3? pants for several years now. I've come to appreciate the design over time. The main pants have an area at the thigh that unzips to reveal a large mesh area. The textile portion you unzipped folds down into the shin area where you don't notice it. There's also a leather area from the inside of the thigh down to the ankle. Designed I think for owners who put their legs against hot pipes and melt their pants, this also helps alleviate heat transfer from the engine area.

I thought at first the liner was a pain in the rear. Why have a separate liner? Well, after replacing my last pants because the built-in liner no longer was waterproof, I've found this solution to be well thought out. The areas mine were leaking on the old pants were in the crotch and thigh area. Both are places my boots put stress on the fabric as I was pulling them on, whether to ride in the rain or more often just putting them on when it was dry outside. If this liner ever starts leaking, I don't have to replace a $300 pair of pants. I can merely go to any place like Costco that sells a rainsuit for $30 and keep on using them.

Even without the rain liner, I've found the outer shell of the Airglide pants will keep me dry enough for the quick ride from work to home without putting on the liner.

Chris

Real Name
    NJCostello
    03-04-19
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    So for the last 7 years I've been riding in AGV Sport Telluride H2O Vented Pants. They have a zip in liner. I have never once used it unless it was raining before we left on a ride, which I think is once. I've been caught in rain dozens of times and just don't stop to put the liner in as it's a pain in the ass. That is what has convinced me to use GoreTex pants, they will remain waterproof for life, as my jacket is a testament to that. I think everyone has different requirements and mine changed to liner to absolutely no liner.

Real Name
    Derek
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    I have the BMW Allround pants. Waterproof without using liner but can be a little warm on really hot days as they do not have vents. However they do breath as they are never feel like lined pants do when the liner is left in too long.

Real Name
    Gerry
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I am definitely looking at textile (more breathable) and indeed Gore-Tex would be best. Will have some time to web shop/research this weekend. Broke my hand this week so have 4-6 weeks to find replacements... though I hope I can push the envelope and be back in the saddle sooner. Even if at a slower pace.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

Real Name
    Mark
    10-21-19
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '13 CRF250L
    Gerry, sorry about the broken wing. Hang in there. So much of that going around!

I've posted on the forum before about my disdain for the layer systems that some bike clothing makers produce. Riding in summer can be a real PITA with those systems. Let's say I start out on a sunny day in summer. I ride with my vented textile pants for a few hours, and then the clouds roll in. At some point, I'll be compelled to stop and take off my pants and boots, and put on the waterproof inner layer, that has to be snapped and zipped into place. Suddenly, I now have a a non-vented inner layer that will work to some extent. As long as it continues to rain, I'm probably ok. But, lets say it is a rain squall of 30 minutes, then the sun comes out and the temps climb again. So, I stop and reverse the process. In addition, systems that use the waterproof inner layer result in a soaked outer layer that acts as a wick around the cuffs and still result in an evaporative chill in cooler weather. Not acceptable for me.

So, count me in on the outer layer of waterproof clothing. GoreTex is the most famous, but others use comparable systems. I'm a big fan of Klim, because of the features, such as well placed pockets and vents, plus top notch protection. The downside is the premium price. I suppose it comes down to how much we ride. I'm about to leave on a two week bike ride and I'll be camping along the way. In the mountains, and back towards the west coast of Canada, I'm more likely to encounter rain. I don't want to spend hours wet on the bike and then try coax my gear dry overnight in the tent. The Klim stuff doesn't absorb water in the first place. Give it a shake and it is water free. Used Klim gear comes up routinely on the ADV Rider web site and the going price for a pair of good used GoreTex pants is in the $400 range. And, I'm talking about pants that usually sell in the $800 range new. On that site, I recently sold my too short for me, Klim Badlands Pro Pants for $400, and replaced them with the same model in the long size. With your healing time coming, and with some patience, you may find what you are looking for. Short of that, wait until the end of the riding season and the inevitable close outs of the "dated" current year gear. Heal well and quickly!

11. LikesTheMeteor, Sundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'm a little confused Mark. What kind of gear have you purchased that required you to take off your boots to put the pants on? Even the inexpensive Tour Master gear I started with years ago, had a full length zipper on the outside of the leg. Unzip the pant leg, and slip it on.

And I'm not getting water wicking in at the cuffs. I stay dry on an hour long commute in whatever weather happens to be out when I leave. (Well, I did get a little wet the night I came home from work at 10 pm and the State Patrol was forcing everyone over to the right because there was several inches of standing water from all the rain.)

Chris

Real Name
    Mark
    10-21-19
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '13 CRF250L
    Here is a very good example of one of the layer systems popular in motorcycle gear that uses a separate waterproof layering system. I had something similar several years ago in the RevIt Cayenne Pro.

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMeteor View Post
    So, my 6 year old riding pants are falling apart and need replacement. Spent a fair amount of time researching online last night and my head hurts from a lot of choices that don't seem to meet my need. Main features are armor, waterproof, some vents for airflow. Gotcha on the waterproof is I do not want layers or liners. I hate stopping to put on/off or schlep separately in luggage....a forget to bring. I also cannot pay $800-$1200 for pants.

Suggestions? I seem to get pointed to Aerostich, but there are several pant choices there too.
    If you don't want a waterproof inner layer then they are expensive (unless you try and pick up a very lightly used pair) IMO Rukka make the best stuff, but it's expensive

http://www.motolegends.com/trousers/...ers-black.html

15. LikesTelemarkTumalo liked this post

Real Name
    Derek
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    The option if you do not want liners is to just get a good pant that provides great safety and then just use use rain pant that you can quickly pull over and get rid if pretty quickly. My Allround pants work in most conditions but have put an over pant when riding in all day rain.

17. LikesSundog52 liked this post

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    ....or avoid the rain like I do and wear leathers, much more comfortable (and safer)

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I've looked at my Olympia pants and thought they'll last me forever. (Looking closer at the current offerings, mine are closest to the Motoquest pant.) Without the liner, since the leg zips up all the way to the waist, it takes only seconds to put on with boots. Putting on the liner, is simple and most of the time I just slip it on the same way and I never attach it to the outer pant. The only thing that will deteriorate over time (unless I take a fall), is the inner liner. And I don't need to buy an Olympia replacement if that happens. Any rain pant will suffice and be just as serviceable. The new Motoquest pant liner is also designed to be worn either over or under the main pant. (Even Gore-tex requires a reapplication of the waterproofing spray over time.)

I looked at the Klim Badlands pant and while it is nice, I don't see much difference in the pants. I did notice that they use only 840d Cordura in the impact areas, versus 2000d Cordura on the Olympia pants.

Chris

Real Name
    Derek
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Is avoiding rain in England possible

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Fandango View Post
    ....or avoid the rain like I do and wear leathers, much more comfortable (and safer)

21. Likespadaek liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Not any more so than in Seattle...

Chris

04-10-20
    Motorcycle
    '94 CBR 900RR
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    Is avoiding rain in England possible
    It takes very careful planning

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    I'm with Daboo on this. I thought I'd hate inner liners, but I now wear the Olympia insulated and waterproof inner pants all the time, but not attached to the outer textile pants.

In cold and/or wet weather, this is a no brainer. But in excessively hot weather (2 years ago, Toronto traffic, 99F) it keeps me cooler, believe it or not. The textile layer lets too much pavement and ST cooling fan heat through; the inner layer stops it.

The only time I'm tempted to leave the inners off is when it's a little too warm for them to be comfortable standing around, but not so hot that I benefit from the insulation. For shorter rides in these conditions, the liner stays home. Longer rides I wear them regardless.

Key to this working is a good wicking base layer. I especially like Twisted Core's stuff, but sad to say, they are no longer in business.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

Real Name
    Priyanshu Tyagi
    01-29-17
    For best rider pants or any other rider accessories, highnoteperformance is the best option I would say. I have bought so many riding accessories from there and they are up to the mark. Their products are affordable plus they never compromise on quality.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Fandango View Post
    I've gone over to water proof textile jackets with leather pants. I've had these pants since 1986, still fit great but had them relined before last winter. I carry water proof pants which I can quickly pull over the leather pants, which works well for me.
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

Real Name
    harry parker
    05-01-17
    Riding pants are important as while riding the comfort is most important thing to look after. I had also used the pants from Highnoteperfomance which is of high quality and last for a long time. I suggest you try out the different variety of riding pant which is in stock for sale they are of best quality as compared to other riding pants.

07-12-17
    looking forward at buying some these suggestions.

Real Name
    Joey Bryant
    04-03-18
    OCtupi - I really appreciate this! I've been looking extremely hard for a good pant that I can wear here in TEXAS where summers get extremely hot and nasty and yet pants that will keep me warm during the winter months and certainly during the raining season but not cost me 400.00 which I thing is absolutely absurd for pants to cost more than 200.00 I mean really?! But these pants are simply 119.20 which I think is totally fair! APpreciate very much your review and will be purchasing these pants !

Real Name
    Jim
    07-04-18
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    Rukka works very well and lasts for years if treated correctly. I like my waterproofing on the outside. Its fine having liners but waterlogged trousers take time to dry and drip every where when you stop.
    Both Scott and Halversons make waterproof leathers. I've got Scott's version which has textile and leather, so the best of both. Not cheap but works very well.
    I'd like to make point, being distracted by leaky riding kit is really dangerous.