BMW F800 Forum banner

GPS Question

11K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  Norfolk UK 
#1 ·
Hi Gang

I have a couple of quick questions regarding a GPS.
Four of us are travelling from Kent UK to germany/Holland in next couple of weeks for a long weekend on four seperate bikes. We currently dont have a GPS between us. Despite riding for sometime and around the UK and also riding in France/Belgium I have never had a GPS for the Bike.

Question's are.

TomTom Rider or the Zumo. Do they come with a mount that I can attach straight to the bike?

Do I need to get a converter to plug directly into the powelet socket on my F700GS?

I am not sure which one to get but would appreciate any help

regards

#35 ·
Just saw this on the UKGSer forum............

I'll see if I can shed a little light on the connector. The connector number is X9349, for optional accessories. The connector has three wires:

(1) Brown = ground
(2) Blue/Green = Speed Pulse
(3) Red/White = 12V

So GPS lead to brown for ground and live to Red/White.
As I use my GPS on both my GTR1400 (aka Concours) and my F700GS, the TT cradle stays on the GTR, and I use USB on handlebars and aftermarket (Ultimate Addons) holder on the handlebars of the BM, beauty is there are so many other useful carriers that fit the handlebar clamp.

#37 ·
OK

So the BMW cable should be here tomorrow. I will solder that cable to the tomtom cable. My next question is from your experiences where would be best place to chase the cable considering I have the mount on the handlebars so there needs to be a fair bit of allowance in the cable given the handlebar movement. When I get back I plan to research a more suitable frame to fit it onto. In the meantime any suggestions welcomed.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Motorcycle Automotive design

#39 ·
ok received my cable today from NippyNormans. Soldered it to the GPS cable. Took off the "tank" cover and to my surprise the GPS connector is sitting in a purpose made holder on top of the battery. Not down the side as some have experienced. Maybe the F800GS is different to the F700GS or maybe this is only on later models?

See picture Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Anyway all connected and working so I am happy. The cable is very long considering it doesn't have far to travel. Something for consideration when I setup at weekend

#41 ·
All sorted. Thanks everyone for the tips and help with getting that done. Roll on Friday then its France/Germany/Holland and Belgium. Well that's the plan anyway. Germany is sorted. After that will be worked out on Evening of day 1 :)Will be my first decent ride in about 5 years even though I use the bike daily :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.