Garmin Zumo 450 Is a Piece of Garbage - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    For probably the 15th time in the last six months, I just got lost because when I downloaded a route from MapSource to my Zumo 450, the unit decided on its own volition to add detours. This is truly pathetic that it cannot successfullyperform the most basic navigator function. As soon as I can, I'm replacing it with a Tom Tom. I'll never own another Garmin product. I've attempted to get support from Garmin on this but that is a scam--they don't actually reply to email support requests.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Marianne
    07-09-11
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Hmmmmmmmmmm...I've loaded many routes to my Zumo 450 and never had it add detours. I'm thinking it must be some setting that needs to be changed.

Try calling Garmin. They've been very good to work with and always done us right when we have had to call them.
    2009 F650GS Twin 

Real Name
    Rich
    03-10-16
    No,no, no, don't listen to her,just box it up and send it to me. LOL. Never mind I do not know how to use those things anyway.But it might be nice to have one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Steve,
    Are you aware of ?:
    http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php
    May be worth registering with forum and posting a plea for advice?!

Real Name
    Roy
    01-15-12
    i don't think it's the device doing it wrong

but maybe you can try some of these things.
    - update the zumo firmware. you can find it on the garmin website.
    - use the latest version of mapsource.
    - make sure not to put via-points or waypoints directly on intersections when making a route.

and visit the zumoforums website. that holds a ton of info on making routes and stuff.

i don't think a tom-tom will make you very happy if you want to ride your home made routes. and use downloaded routes from the web. you'll need additional software and knowledge to convert em, and make them work on the tom-tom.
    left the F800ST for a black/yellow full options F800GS  

Real Name
    Tim
    09-11-14
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Wow, I'm the complete opposite. I've owned TomTom's and Meridians and I'll never go back to that crap. I now own 7 Garmins (12XL, 2x550c, 276c, eTrex, Zumo 550, Forerunner 305) and will only use them until something better comes along. They are the only company that seems to release lots of firmware updates for even old units. Love my Zumo 550.

Might want to check the config, you may have all kinds of crazy options available including traffic avoidances, toll route avoidances, etc. However when I program a route and download it, it seems to work fine but it's been a while since I've used a route.

Now the Zumo 660... ick. Wait for them to release more firmware updates.

I've had fair to good luck with Garmin support but my questions tend to be "feature requests" and they never seem to be willing to do those... lol.
    F800ST (2008/01) modified like mad || F650GS with TKC80's and full crashbars || GS-911 available in the Barrie, Ontario area. 

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    I tried the Zumo forums when this first happened and didn't get a solution. I do have the latest software, both in the unit and Map Source. I guess I'm most frustrated that I can't get any help from Garmin. I'm at a point now that I just don't trust the thing. It got me lost when I was driving in Norfolk and to get back on route, I ran the Garmin side by side with the GPS in my cell phone. The Garmin's instructions were just bizarre--they had me wandering around neighborhoods and the cell phone got me where I was going.

05-22-12
    I have never had a problem getting Garmin to respond by email. does usually take a day or too. Check your spam filter.

-k

Real Name
    Gerry
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    I have had two Garmins and have had a pretty good experience with Customer Support as well. Since I never have time address any issues I have had during the normal business hours, i have always used email support.

As mentioned, it may take a day or two, but they have always responded and stood behind the product. I had an early build GPSmap 60CS die on a trip, and they replaced it no-questions-asked and have had it for a good 5 years since with pretty much no problem.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l 2016 GSX S1000 (Naked & Blue)
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

Real Name
    Trevor :-)
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    I've attempted to get support from Garmin on this but that is a scam--they don't actually reply to email support requests.
    They do reply in the USA. The reply is just rubbish however! Why the f88ck did they not just not pass on my question? Oh that's right because they know the Aussie's don't give two figs and they don't answer support questions.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Support for Garmin customers in Australia and New Zealand are handled
    by Garmin Australia . Contact information for Garmin Australia is
    as follows:
    Phone: 1-800-235- 822
    Hours: Monday ? Friday: 8:30am ? 5pm EST
    Email: [email protected]
    What's it like to bike around NZ? https://picasaweb.google.com/1043074...59485/BikeTrip 

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Sorry you're having problems. I've not had any problems with my Zumo 450, nor has my husband with his 550. I would insist that Garmin provide the support and just not give up. I understand your frustration--I've been there with another brand. But don't expect the Tom Tom to be a panacea.

These devices can all have problems. I know someone who sent his TomTom Rider back, the one that was supposed to be the Garmin's main competitor. He cursed it from the beginning. He nows has a Garmin SC60x (or something like that) and is totally happy. I've found Garmin's support to be very good.

But my Magellan Xplorist GPS support was horrible!

For what it is worth. I never rely solely on my GPS. I always carry a good map. Stuff happens.

Don't give up. Good luck.
    Sharon--Blog '08 Blue F800ST, comfort & safety pkg., alarm, standard suspension, low seat, ctstand, risers/pull backs, vario levers, frame sliders, BMW topcase, Givi V35 sides, Zumo, Cortech tank bag, Throttlemeister, Laminar lip, Hornig sidestand extender. 

Desert SW AZ-J is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    Get the 660 Zumo, you won't be sorry. See review of it here (not mine): http://www.prades.net/zumo660/
    AZ-J
    See my pretty bike here: http://tiny.cc/MyBike

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    Well, Garmin did reply to my service request email this time. The reply basically said, "You must be hallucinating." Unfortunately I've deleted the flawed routes where the device added diversions and detours, so I can't show them.

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Steve:

I help run a Garmin nuvi forum and have a fair amount of experience with pre-planned routes (which behave about the same on nuvis and Zumos). I use a nuvi 760 on my F800 and put it away if it rains [g].

I'd be happy to try to help directly, and also invite you to visit our forum, where the main FAQ/Read Me has a lot of info on route planning, most of which also applies to Zumos, even though we are a nuvi forum.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...p?FORUM_ID=172

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    My Zumo screwed me again yesterday. I was in a state forest on a 345 mile. It told me to turn and even though I was pretty sure that wasn't on the route I designed, I did what it said. After about 3 miles that road turned to dirt and went over the mountain. It was pretty hairy. I checked MapSource when I got home and that turn was NOT on the route. I guess the only way to prevent this is to preview every route on the device while zoomed in tight, which is a major hassle.

After that screw up, I existed my planned route and used the "take me home" button. It twice tried to route me on dirt roads over the mountains. When I ignored that it recalculated a route home that was about 120 miles more than the most direct. I just turned it off and used a map.

This is far from the first time this sort of stuff has happened.

Real Name
    Lesley
    01-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    I had the same thing happen with my Garmin 550. It got so I would check the route when I got to the bike. Same thing - the route was completely screwed up - the waypoints were completely out of order. I found that if I had the unit recalculate the route, it went back to the route I had plotted. It occured five or six times. I am normally the most even-tempered and patient of women - but I was on the verge of scrapping the unit in a very violent manner.

In desperation I downloaded the latest software/maps to my desktop, my laptop AND the unit and it stopped happening. I have no idea what caused it - but updating everything took care of it. It hasn't happened since. However, for any long trip, I keep a map for backup!

Good luck fixing it.
    Lesley - The rider on the Graphite F800GT or the Blue Spyder Limited RT with the pink helmet in Maryland 

Real Name
    Sandro P
    07-04-18
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    My Zumo screwed me again yesterday. I was in a state forest on a 345 mile. It told me to turn and even though I was pretty sure that wasn't on the route I designed, I did what it said. After about 3 miles that road turned to dirt and went over the mountain. It was pretty hairy. I checked MapSource when I got home and that turn was NOT on the route. I guess the only way to prevent this is to preview every route on the device while zoomed in tight, which is a major hassle.

After that screw up, I existed my planned route and used the "take me home" button. It twice tried to route me on dirt roads over the mountains. When I ignored that it recalculated a route home that was about 120 miles more than the most direct. I just turned it off and used a map.

This is far from the first time this sort of stuff has happened.
    Sounds like you need a GS.

What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner? 

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    This is at least the third or fourth time I've gotten in situations where I definitely needed a GS. What was worse on this particular ride was that I had to ride through major repairs on long stretches of road running through the state forest. The road was literally in African conditions--the pavement was buckled up in places and in others, the highway department had cut away the pavement and filled the hole with gravel as they prepare to repave it. It was a sticky wicket.

07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    Let's face it, the Zumo 450 is the low end of the last generation of Zumos. Replace it with a Zumo 220 (Amazon.com: Garmin zumo 220 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51O63gbSLyL here $545, or a better one) and Lifetime Map updates. It'll be worth it, in the long run.
    AZ-J

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    Why do you think the 220 would be an improvement? From what I can see, they just added a few features. I don't think the basic technology changed. Can't imagine that would be worth $600

07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    The 220 has a much faster processor than the 450, and with updated maps it surely would be better.
    AZ-J

07-25-13
    Steve, I'm by no means a GPS guru but having used several over the past 5 years or so (currently have a TomTom 130s) and having encountered similar 'direct me thru primitive roads' experiences, I think I finally figured out (part of) the problem: the software does not discriminate between paved and unpaved roads - at least I have not seen one with the ability to do so. It merely takes you via the most direct route - with deviations such as avoiding toll roads etc. I'v had that happen several times and will always default back to Mod1 Mk1 paper navigational device ie a map! If I can figure out (more or less) where I am and a way to get from there to at least headed in the right direction, the GPS will nearly always eventually figure out the 'best' way to get where I'm going.
    As much of a PITA as they can be, they are still very helpful in finding addresses and such in places that you have never been to before.

Real Name
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Steve, I'm by no means a GPS guru but having used several over the past 5 years or so (currently have a TomTom 130s) and having encountered similar 'direct me thru primitive roads' experiences, I think I finally figured out (part of) the problem: the software does not discriminate between paved and unpaved roads - at least I have not seen one with the ability to do so. It merely takes you via the most direct route - with deviations such as avoiding toll roads etc. I'v had that happen several times and will always default back to Mod1 Mk1 paper navigational device ie a map! If I can figure out (more or less) where I am and a way to get from there to at least headed in the right direction, the GPS will nearly always eventually figure out the 'best' way to get where I'm going.
    As much of a PITA as they can be, they are still very helpful in finding addresses and such in places that you have never been to before.
    My Zumo 550 does. This is a basic necessary feature in NZ!

Setup (the spanner) -> Navigation -> Avoidances

It's the second screen.

You may also want to change recalculation mode.

Trevor
    What's it like to bike around NZ? https://picasaweb.google.com/1043074...59485/BikeTrip 

07-22-15
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200S
    Just checked my 660 and "Unpaved Roads" is checked under "Avoidances".
    AZ-J

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    TT makes excellent GPS units, but having ridden a lot of miles with friends who have them, I'd say one of their weak points is dealing with unpaved roads. If you check the dirt avoidance, it will do some truly crazy routing on occasion.

A friend (Ducati ST3s) who has a TT lives on a road that turns to dirt. His TT will not route him to his house, period -- won't even calculate other portions of the route prior to the unpaved part -- unless he allows dirt, which as seen above causes other issues. My Garmin nuvi 760 takes me right to his front door.

Also, as you look for a GPS that works for your purposes, be aware that as updated map versions come out, the routing changes. I just updated my maps on my 760 and a route I travel frequently is now being calculated differently.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    Mine is set to avoid unpaved roads but, I guess, it thinks I'm just kidding. About the only thing I can do is remember my route and ignore the Zumo when it decides on its own to add a detour.

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Or you can pre-program your route, upload it to your Zumo, and it will take you where you want to go.

-dan

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by danham View Post
    Or you can pre-program your route, upload it to your Zumo, and it will take you where you want to go.

-dan

But the point I've been making is that the Zumo sometimes deviates from pre-planned and uploaded routes. That's what happened to me on Friday.

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Yup, sorry; lost track (so to speak).

I don't have a Zumo, but can't you turn off recalculation?

Even if you can't, there are ways to pre-plan a route using waypoints and vias to keep it on track.

Here's an example:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...OPIC_ID=119351

-dan

Real Name
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by danham View Post
    Yup, sorry; lost track (so to speak).

I don't have a Zumo, but can't you turn off recalculation?

-dan
    You can on the 550. Steve try turning off auto recalculation. I've never done it but it might be worth a try.

The only time my 550 has done strange stuff like this is because I was not paying attention and I "think" I missed a turn and it recalculated a very different route around the other side of a mountain, rather than telling me to do a U-turn (not many roads in the NZ countryside). Which was a pain as I missed a museum I was planning to visit.

Trevor

Real Name
    Steve
    06-29-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 R1200R
    That's actually an interesting proposition. If it is recalculating when it deviates from my designed route, this would be a solution. I just turned it to manual recalc. We'll see if that helps.