BMW F800 Forum banner

Detachable GPS

6K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Patters 
#1 ·
I've started adding bits and bobs to by GT, having come from an R1100GS it's difficult not to want to add lots of 'add ons'

I've attached a connector for the battery charger, heated waistcoat and phone charger all direct to the battery, all seems fine.

Next I wanted to add my Zumo on a RAM mount to the handlebars. The trouble is I want to make this detachable, but not sure about my ability to make the connector wiring smart enough. I could leave the Zumo holder attached, but can't workout how to make it look 'nice', leaving it attached on the bars looks naff on such an otherwise good looking bike.

Any thoughts?

TIA

#4 ·
I agree with the others. I suppose you could work out a way to cut the wires and make a plug that would make it easy to detach...but it's not worth my time.

As a commuter, since I've picked up a waterproof motorcycle GPS, I'll often put it on the bike so it can warn me of traffic issues ahead. Once I retire, I'll only be using it for trips, but having the cover on the mount is no big deal for me.

Chris

#5 ·
#8, That is NOT the answer Adrian is looking for. It's the answer I'd give. If you saw my working bikes you'd agree.
Some guys want pristine aesthetics in every mod. So it looks like an artist was at work. A rolling Sistine Chapel as it were.
I just want to thank you for being more of a curmudgeon than me and saving me a black mark on my otjherwise stellar reputation![:D]
As for Adrian good f-ing luck with this. But don't call #8 ![8]

#6 ·
poor Adrian. I imagine most won't mind if the mount is permanent, but if it bugs you then I assume you used an SAE connector for your charging cable. Get another male end and wire it to the Zumo power, It's just two wires, you can use posi lock connectors which work well. Then you can plug it in and unplug it and go.

#7 ·
#8 ·
It also depends on which Zumo... The 3xx series have only a power connection so a waterproof (male/female) plug should be quite easy.
I have a Zumu 590, with a very thick cable with many leads. Would be a complicated setup, I think.

#10 ·
Both the Tom-Tom and Magellan I had failed in use on the bike. They were not Motorcycle specific units so I think the vibrations killed them. Water didn't help either.
My 3 Garmins have worked well enough. I use a Ram Aqua box that stays on the bike for a Garmin 2455. The other is an ancient Gramin GPS III plus.
Inelegant at best for the diserning user.

#16 ·
I'm not so sure all the negative reviews of the TomTom Rider 400 are warranted. I just took a quick glance at the reviews and one of them was only a 1 star rating because it didn't work out of the box. A mechanic had wired the bike up and it didn't work. Was the issue with the TomTom Rider? ...or with the wiring the mechanic installed? In any case, a TomTom rep answered the review and offered a replacement.

We tend to think of TomTom as being an "inferior" product. In Europe, it is the #1 seller and Garmin is #2. After using their TomTom software on my smartphone, I was ready to buy a TomTom Rider 400. Anyone who knows me, knows I do my homework on purchases. The only thing that put me off was the traffic is a yearly subscription. In just a couple years, it would be a higher cost than a Garmin because of that recurring charge.

That said, I'm happy with the Garmin. Whatever GPS you get, I highly advise using a lot in the time prior to needing it. Get familiar with the controls, the screen icons, etc. and just how it operates in general.

Chris

#18 ·
Good point. In my mind, it's not just finding out what your GPS will do though. It's being familiar enough with what it does that you spend just a fraction of a second glancing at it for the information you want, and not 20-30 seconds as you say, "Huh? Where's it telling me to go???" ...then BAM as you rear end the car in front of you.

Chris

#19 ·
ha... so this is where those thrown out of Jo Mama on ADV end up [:D]

anyway chaps, sorted, thanks for the all the comments :)

The thing is I don't need to use the bike to commute for mega miles, (been there done that), just long tours (GPS on) and hooning around (GPS off)...

#20 ·
Hey Womble, here is how I am planning on handling all the wiring spaghetti. First of all, I have a battery tender that will always be directly wired to the battery. I also have/will have my Garmin, a dual USB port, an iphone, and my LED running lights wired up. This is just too much for effective use of the battery's terminals. I I purchased a Centech fuse block, along with an automotive relay and wiring harness. Now all I have to do is pull off the plastic and find a good location for the fuse block then cleanly run this hodgepoge of wires to it. With the relay in place I won't have to worry about draining the battery when the bike is shut off.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive mirror Speedometer
Mousetrap Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Circuit component Gas

#23 ·
Hi Alan, I did wonder whether it was you on the list! Avishay is well, but still has not replaced his bike, he keeps talking about it though!

My V-Strom was replaced with a R1100GS, which I loved, but have just sold because of a back problem, it was just too heavy, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I've only had the GT a week, 14 plate with 1500 miles!

I figured that I didn't 'need' an F700GS as my off road is just on camping sites! I sat on the GT at the BMW dealership and loved it! Bought then, never done that before or bought a bike from a main dealer!

I am coming up to stay in Tayvallich at a friends and then a bunkhouse in Corran in June, a group of friends, Woodies bikers, loosely associated with Woodlands Church in Bristol. The bunkhouse is next door to a restaurant which another friend is opening later this year, this place...https://www.facebook.com/thecorran/?pnref=story

All the best
Adrian

#25 ·
Put up with, no, love it, I can take some flames... not too much though :)

I use an Oxford Oximiser, similar to an Optimate battery charger, both use the same connector which can be left attached to the battery as it has a waterproof cap. Only needs to be used when bike is hibernating, have sourced the other half of the connector and attached that to a much shortened Garmin Zumo lead. That was pretty much the problem, the Zumo had about a 2 metre lead, now shortened to around 20cm. Yes, this is a fused connection :)

Even appears to work! Will post a photo

#28 ·
Hi,
Thought I'd throw my penny worth in for good measure. I bought my 1st BMW Navigator 4 in 2012, within 2 years it had failed and was replaced by Garmin UK foc. In 2014 while riding on the M25 the replaced item "leapt" out of the cradle(since then I've secured replacements with a cable tie). I then bought a BMW Navigator 5 which lasted until October 2016. As it was out of warranty Garmin charged me +£100 for a replacement with only 90 days warranty. Since then I've had at 2 replacements under then Garmin warranty. Fortunately I was put in contact with a knowledgeable SW whizz at Garmin who fixed the latest Navigator and I was up and running on 2017.30 until I updated the SW to 2018.10 last weekend. Yesterday I went for a long run and noticed that many new features have been added to the latest map SW, e.g. on UK motorways at times I saw a carriageway with yellow dotted lines which then turned red. I also noted that below the customary low fuel state icon there appeared an icon displaying 2 motorcars side by side, sometimes with numbers appended to them. I also received a message along the top bar of the device telling me that there was congestion ahead. I don't subscribe to any added features so that was a pleasant surprise. I've read other correspondence re Garmin Navigators and many folk are not enamoured. When they work, super but a pain in the you know what when they go wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.