BMW F800 Forum banner

HVMP Comparison to Stock - Vibration Reduction

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Peuglee 
#1 · (Edited)
There are no good threads showing exactly the differences between HVMP and stock bar ends are on the newer F800Rs. After installing the HVMPs, there is a very noticeable reduction in vibration through the grips--I don't have a specific way of measuring this yet, but it is significantly different and improved. It does nothing however to reduce the mirror vibration and the mirrors remain crap. (I'm going to experiment with a few mirror mods and potentially mirrors from a Honda CB500X/F/Africa Twin which are very cheap and rock solid as a potential fix but this is for another thread.)

Instructions call for medium (blue) thread lock--note: only the ends of the threads bite, so be sure to place the thread locker toward the end of the bolt.

The pictures do the most to compare, but here are the stats:

Bike: 2016 BMW F800R

Weight:
Stock Bar End (with bolt): 8.9oz
Stock Bar End (without bolt): 7.0oz (thus making the bolt 1.9oz)
HVMP "Extra Heavy Bar End" (with bolt): 14.3oz*
HVMP "Extra Heavy Bar End" (without bolt): 11.7oz (thus making the bolt 2.6oz)

The HVMP bar ends I received are about 60%+/- heavier than stock on the 2016 bike.

Length:
Stock bar end: 39.17mm
HVMP bar end: 50.50mm

Diameter
Stock bar end: 35.85mm (at the widest point)
HVMP bar end: 37.01mm

Bolts:
Stock bar end: T55 torx or "star"
HVMP bar end: H10 Hex

*The HVMP site says the bar ends vary from 17.3-18.7oz, making the set I received about 15% lighter than advertised at the most generous reading. I've contacted HVMP to enquire about this and will update after hearing back on what they say. Update 22 Aug '17: Heard back very quickly from HVMP. The weight range listed on the site (17.3-18.7oz) is for the pre-2015 models. They'll be updating the site with the weight range of the 2015+ bar ends some time soon, but the set I listed above are within their spec for 2015+ models. Would also just give a shout out to HVMP as having great customer-focused support.

Received a question on cost. At the time of this post, it the set was $96 USD shipped.

Pics:
Calipers Measuring instrument Auto part Font Electronic device
Camera accessory Automotive tire Cameras & optics Camera lens Auto part
Calipers Tool Measuring instrument Auto part Gas
Calipers Measuring instrument Font Technology Gas
Calipers Measuring instrument Camera accessory Auto part Electronic device
Calipers Camera accessory Measuring instrument Camera lens Font
Guitar accessory Automotive tire Font Gadget Measuring instrument
Gauge Automotive wheel system Automotive lighting Font Auto part
Automotive lighting Font Gramophone record Automotive wheel system Gas
Font Tool Auto part Electronic device Technology
Automotive tire Cylinder Gas Tints and shades Font
Digital camera Camera lens Point-and-shoot camera Reflex camera Camera
Liquid Automotive tire Cosmetics Fluid Bottle

See less See more
#2 ·
I had HVMP bar ends on my 2012 F800R and I now have them on my 2015 model.

I have previously posted here with my observations regarding how good they are at reducing the handlebar vibration which appears to be an unavoidable characteristic of the F800 twins. In my experience they reduce the vibration to a negligible level and make long motorway journeys bearable with no finger numbness.

Their customer service is also very good.

#3 ·
I had HVMP bar ends on my 2012 F800R and I now have them on my 2015 model.

I have previously posted here with my observations regarding how good they are at reducing the handlebar vibration which appears to be an unavoidable characteristic of the F800 twins. In my experience they reduce the vibration to a negligible level and make long motorway journeys bearable with no finger numbness.

Their customer service is also very good.
I second that...
They make a huge improvement and transforms the bike..

#4 ·
I haven't usually noticed an issue with vibrations, yes, usually happens around 4500-5500 RPM, but I've been using a Throttle assist and for the past couple of years throttle lock, and haven't noticed it much, but I also haven't had heavier bar ends. I might have to try it.

#5 ·
I ordered some for my 2011 F800R. Will be testing them in 4 weeks or so, when weather permits. There's still snow up here in Montreal.
My bike came with hand guards with very light aluminum weights, not the stock ones so I'm sure there will be a good improvement.
Will do a "review" in the near future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Hi every body, I'm an f800 forum virgin, so be gentle with me. I have owned my 2013 f800r for 7 months now, it's done 6k miles from new, I really noticed the vibration on my f800 more because my other bike is a 900 Triumph trident with 65k that the mirrors stay vibrationless at all revs. I have eased the vibes on f800 by filling the ends of the bars with .177 pellets, foam over grips, not gripping the bars so tight and fitted f800st foot pegs. It's the only let down of a fantastic bike that's low, light, comfy, economical with a good turn of speed when needed.

#10 ·
#11 ·
hank you Daboo, I live in Poole Dorset on the south coast of the UK, I'm really enjoying getting to know the f800r, the more I ride it the less the vibration bothers me and its only above 70mph that it noticeable anyway. I can't wait to do a few longer ride on it, I have a friend that lives in Cornwall about 200 miles from me so hopefully I'll take f800 for a decent run. Wifey loves the pillion seat more than my tridents, it's the only newish bike we found that gave us every thing we were looking for in a bike that had a really good pillion seat and as my wife rides pillion about 80% of the time that the bike gets used, it was an important feature.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.