2015+ Wunderlich Engine Guards Overview - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    I'm going to continue to update a series of photo-documented updates to this bike because mostly, I'm grumpy about how few pictures seem to exist for the newer F800R mods.

Bike: 2016 BMW F800R ~800 miles at time of install.

Product: Wunderlich Engine Bars, black. Wunderlich part number: 31670102. Purchased from Motovation Accessories which at the time of this post were cheaper than from Wunderlich USA. Price paid: $259.95 USD.

Weight:
    • Left bar: 37.2 oz Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	272721

• Right Bar: 44.2 oz Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	272713
    • Total weight (minus hardware): 81.4 oz or just over 5lbs (google the conversion if you care)

Installation Notes:
    Installation is fairly straight forward if you have a center stand (helps) and the included instructions are adequate. There are a few important notes however.

First, due to somewhat poor powder coating on the section where the two pieces join, I needed to smooth out the hollow portion first so that they could mate.
    A quick hit with the Dremel was able to smooth this out and then some paint to prevent any rust where I took the smoothing a bit too far on the inside. This allowed the two pieces to match up nicely. Odd that this was present seeing as the rest of the guards looked nice and welds were all decent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pc.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	272729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smooth.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	272745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weld.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	272737

Second, the factory spoiler will need removed and does not fit back on once the guards are installed. There may be an option to modify this and I may explore that later, however, I've ordered a Touratech and Wunderlich guard to cover protect the now exposed bits like the oil filter (I'll be only keeping one, but want to trial fit both).

Thirdly, if your exhaust is installed (likely is), the the one bolt that retains the spoiler bracket is an absolute pain to get off. It's a factory T50 bolt and mine showed signs of corrosion even with just 800 miles (and in Southern California). If you have more miles or it's at all stuck, remove the exhaust so that you can get to this bolt without completely stripping it. On mine, I did need to destructively remove it and is replaced by the guards bolt. Heat could also help in removing this as well, but regardless, it's not a easy place to access since the exhaust requires you to be at an angle. The most effective way I found to remove the factory T50 is to use a small closed-end wrench on a T50 bit while applying pressure to keep it safely engaged in the bolt. I experimented with all manner of u-joints, extensions, long T50 sockets, etc. Ultimately, vice grips were used to carefully remove the bolt, rendering it useless once removed. If I were to replace this, I would use a standard stainless bolt so that a socket could be used (it's M10 X 1.5 X 20mm).

Name:	bolt.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	272761

Removal of this bolt was the most difficult piece. Second to that was the standard wrangling you do with engine guards when the alignment is just off. Keep everything loosely fitted as possible and in my case I used some ratcheting tie-down straps to carefully squeeze it into place while I threaded everything in by hand. Also, because of the resistance I ran into removing the bolts I used Permatex Anti-seize on the ends and medium thread lock closer to the head of the bolts.

Once torqued to specs (read the instructions), it seems very secure and I like how the bars connect, effectively transferring any impact across the entire system as opposed to the SW Motech's that don't connect to each other.

Lastly, the kit uses the factory bolt and washer on the brake side and includes a replacement extended washer and bolt into the factory side stand.

Name:	sidestand.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	272785

Here's some additional pics showing it installed as well as engine clearances:

Name:	shifterside.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	272809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	272801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brakeside.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	272793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	272777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leftbolt.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	272769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rightinstalled.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	272753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brakeclearance.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	272817

Stock photo:

Name:	stock photo.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	272705

Other Impressions:
    I like the guards so far and the finish matches up with the bike perfectly. It looks completely natural and stock (black or non-polished hardware would be a nice to complete this). And as some others have mentioned, I have noticed some additional reduction in vibration on the bike. Interestingly, there still is a fair bit of vibration transmitted through the pegs, but if I put my feet on the bars at the same rev range, there's little-to-no vibration present in the guards.

These do not extend very far outside of the bike and do not offer as much protection as potentially a larger guard (like something you might find on a GS), but as an alternative to sliders, I'm very happy with these so far. It's disappointing the factory splitter/spoiler is not compatible with this set, however, a beefier guard is on the way and I suspect the factory splitter could be modified to work with these if you're confident with a Dremel and working with plastics.
    Last edited by lordkenyon; 09-07-17 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typos

2. Thankspadaek thanked for this post
    LikesSTARSHIP liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Week Ago
    Thank You Lord...nice photos. This is something I'm looking at for my R. Well done

Real Name
    Сим&#10
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkenyon View Post
    I'm going to continue to update a series of photo-documented updates to this bike because mostly, I'm grumpy about ho

How did you get it for that cheap? I've only seen it as low as $330

Also welds look pretty nice, can you comment?

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmacus View Post
    How did you get it for that cheap? I've only seen it as low as $330

Also welds look pretty nice, can you comment?
    I purchased mine from Motovation Accessories in Aug of 2017. Was a pretty good deal since there was no tax or shipping costs then on it. I suspect the cost of steel has gone up or maybe it's not being produced because I see it's now $330 on their site too. Maybe wait for some Black Friday deals? The SKU was 31670102 if that helps on your searching.

Weld quality was on par with the factory BMW welds. It's pretty indistinguishable from a stock piece in most regards. The biggest quality issue I had was the over zealous powder coating that made marrying the two parts difficult.

8. LikesDaboo, Simmacus liked this post

Real Name
    Сим&#10
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on them, only one left, might bite the bullet and get them.
    My brother lives in Europe, and I can get them shipped there and then next time I go just pick them up. I think it came out to around $260 if I do that.
    I never did it, because I didn't know how the welds are, but if they're good, then I may still get them ordered in Europe.
    I'm glad you like them. hopefully never need them.

10. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Сим&#10
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    So I just ordered one from the UK with shipping to Eastern Europe, 170 GPB, comes out to 220 dollars, with free shipping. Will be picking it up when I visit my brother, or he comes to the states.
    Pretty good deal. Site seemed reputable.

12. LikesDaboo liked this post