Banff and Jasper National Park - June 2018 - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Chris
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'm thinking of a ride through Banff and Jasper National Park in June 2018. Here's the proposed route:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lynnwood, WA to Lynnwood, WA - Google Maps.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	275721

Any ideas? Suggestions? Changes you recommend? Is this too early?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

2. LikesDaveJ98092, TheMeteor liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark
    10-21-19
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '13 CRF250L
    Chris, you are planning a great ride and so easy from Seattle. Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper...? All fantastic locales, and the routes to and fro, are great as well. Timing is important though as the motorcycling season is relatively short. June may be optimistic. I've ridden in snow in July, and the following day had 90°F degree blazing sun in Jasper. July 1 - Sept. 1 would be much better choices. Camping is available and quite nice if you want to enjoy the outdoors, but **** hotels available along the route. These photos from my trip July 2016.

5. LikesDaveJ98092, Richard230, TheMeteor liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Them's are some bitchin' mountains. That's on the bucket list.BC is Supernatural!

7. LikesDaveJ98092 liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It sucks having to wait till June to see all this for myself. But the planning will be fun and tide me over till then. Thanks.

Chris

10. LikesDaveJ98092 liked this post

Real Name
    Dave
    07-12-19
    Sounds like a fun ride there Chris. Maybe by then I will have a F800GT or such. NEVER KNOW
    Last edited by DaveJ98092; 09-19-17 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

12. LikesTelemarkTumalo liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    32 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Any ideas? Suggestions? Changes you recommend? Is this too early?

Chris
    I've taken all those roads a few times, including this past July and know you will enjoy the beautiful, varied scenery and some excellent "drivers" roads. I would suggest a small change to the Osoyoos/Revelstoke leg. While very scenic (big lakes, nicely treed valleys and mountains, wineries) it is also fairly simple driving (straight-ish, two lanes mostly) and congested. This is increasingly true the closer you get to Kelowna (both sides.)

A much quieter and technical road (twisties, inclines, descents) is Highway 3 from Osoyoos to Castlegar and then Highway 6 to Revelstoke. (Or the opposite, depending on the direction you are headed.)

June will typically bring you beautiful weather and likely pre-forest fire season. You are traveling at some higher elevations and weather can be variable in the mountains. Layers are suggested.

The roads from 100 Mile House to/from Vancouver offer great riding sections. Also, very few police!

That's great trip you've got planned.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

14. LikesDaveJ98092 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Runmyownlife View Post
    I've taken all those roads a few times, including this past July and know you will enjoy the beautiful, varied scenery and some excellent "drivers" roads. I would suggest a small change to the Osoyoos/Revelstoke leg. While very scenic (big lakes, nicely treed valleys and mountains, wineries) it is also fairly simple driving (straight-ish, two lanes mostly) and congested. This is increasingly true the closer you get to Kelowna (both sides.)

A much quieter and technical road (twisties, inclines, descents) is Highway 3 from Osoyoos to Castlegar and then Highway 6 to Revelstoke. (Or the opposite, depending on the direction you are headed.)

June will typically bring you beautiful weather and likely pre-forest fire season. You are traveling at some higher elevations and weather can be variable in the mountains. Layers are suggested.

The roads from 100 Mile House to/from Vancouver offer great riding sections. Also, very few police!

That's great trip you've got planned.
    Route changed. Thanks!

Chris

Real Name
    Dave
    07-12-19
    I am a friend of Chris from his Burgman days and I still ride a Sports-Touring 650 scooter as seen in my Avatar. I had a 1967 BMW R60 when I was in Germany back in 1980's.

I will be the Tail-gunner on this trip with Chris. With Chris leading, I get to see that cute butt all day long, NOT Chris's butt, That White F800 does look good .

Chris and I talked about skipping going thru Whistler and Vancouver during high season. So My question of you all, stay to the east side of the mountains or go over to Whistler, Vancouver then ferry to Nanaimo, down to Victoria and then Ferry to Port Angeles WA and Home. I really do not want to do a Vancouver BC to Lynnwood Wa "Superslab" ride.

Is there really much to see on the Whistler, Nanaimo run? An overnight ride to Whistler is always open, only 400km from my house.

If the weather is nice, the ferry rides are a nice ride. This route would add the West Vancouver to Nanimo Ferry run, the Victoria to Port Angeles Ferry run and the Kingston to Edmonds Ferry run.
    Retired US ARMY
    Been on 2 wheels since 1972.
    1980 Honda Goldwing 1100i, 2003 Suzuki Burgman 650 Scooter 

Real Name
    Andrew
    32 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ98092 View Post

Chris and I talked about skipping going thru Whistler and Vancouver during high season. So My question of you all, stay to the east side of the mountains or go over to Whistler, Vancouver then ferry to Nanaimo, down to Victoria and then Ferry to Port Angeles WA and Home. I really do not want to do a Vancouver BC to Lynnwood Wa "Superslab" ride.
    I'd suggest that Hwy 99 from Lillooet to Pemberton and then the Sea to Sky highway to Horseshoe Bay (where you'll take the ferry to Nanaimo) is excellent riding for the scenery and the turns (especially the Hwy 99 portion - unless you are taking your scooter, the mountain hairpins/twisties may be a bit much.) If time and money permit, I think this route offers more than staying east of the Coastal mountains. Consider lunch in Squamish, take an afternoon ferry and stay overnight in Duncan on the island. These are smaller towns with their own unique flavors. I

Vancouver is beautiful but busy and expensive. Not to say ferries rides and Vancouver island are much cheaper, but certainly more scenic on the way home. Like you said, the I5 is a big (and washboard-like) slab.
    Last edited by Runmyownlife; 09-26-17 at 07:01 AM.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

18. ThanksDaveJ98092, Daboo thanked for this post
    LikesDaveJ98092 liked this post

Real Name
    Dave
    07-12-19
    I'll be talking this over with Chris soon.

RUNMYOWNLIFE, Thanks, about what I thought may be an alt route home.

This will be the only comment I will make about Bike choice as this is a BMW F800 forum and I told Chris I would not SPAM the forums.
    Most people do not know that the Burgman 650 scooter is a Sport Touring Motorcycle in a Scooter looking format. It is NOT your aunties Vespa scooter by a LONG SHOT. It is a twin cylinder 638cc with a eCVT transmission, mounted up front and LOW down in the frame, not a swing arm mounted engine. Dual disc brakes up front, single disc in the rear. It can top out at 120+ MPH and doing a 90 MPH run for hours is not bad. I could do an Iron Butt on it as easy as my Goldwing GL1100i. Steady 70 MPH gives me 54 MPG, 90 MPH gives about 42 MPG. Just no manual clutch.
    I am sure Chris will leave me on a straight a way but I can keep up with most 600-750 CC sport bikes in corners.
    Chris and I have done a few 400 mile 3 Mountain Pass rides, we have never raced but ride with spirit most times. I have almost 200 Liters of Cargo space. Before we got compatible Bluetooth intercoms, when Chris was leading and he would decide to pass a vehicle, He sometimes had to wait for me to get a shot to pass that vehicle. But with us having Sena intercoms, he can say "Ready....Passing" and I can GUN it at the same time and hit 70+ MPH right with him... Just saying....

If I can budget in a few grand ($USD) to buy a used bike I may. But it must have a SMOOOOOTH clutch pull. It need to be about 750 to 850 mm seat height. I think I could still ride a R1250RT or such as long as I stay out of Rush Hour traffic day after day. Nerve damage in my left arm is the ONLY reason I went with an Automatic clutch 650cc scooter.
    Retired US ARMY

20. LikesRunmyownlife liked this post

Real Name
    Mark
    02-23-19
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    It sucks having to wait till June to see all this for myself. But the planning will be fun and tide me over till then...
    Chris, looks like good trip!

10 years ago we did a British Columbia/Alberta Loop:
    Oregon to Port Angeles up the coast, Victoria, Vancouver, up Sea-to-Sky to Whistler, Revelstoke, Canada 1 through Glacier National Park (Canada), Banff, Calgary, across Glacier National Park (USA), Lolo Pass, Lewiston, back home via Columbia River Gorge. Not enough backroads, and too hot on the last 400-mile day, but fun trip overall.

I'm overdue for a good BC trip, and will watch your planning and scheming for ideas.
    Now: R1150R Rockster, F800S, S1000R, K1300S
    Then: R850R, R1100R, R1150R, R1200C, Buell, usw 

22. LikesDaveJ98092 liked this post

Real Name
    Dave
    07-12-19
    Heat will be a bit of concern as will be cold if we leave too early in the season....

Both Chris and I wear ATGATT, Chris even more so than me. I tend to wear an armored jacket, armored and Kevlar pants, Modular helmet, armored gloves and HIGH top logging steel toe boots. Chris adds to this a "Air Bag" vest and heaver armored pants. On an 80 Degree F day it gets TOASTY. I can not do a 105 deg F day. Mesh linings help as do vents but those leave open areas for intrusion.

I have been down a few times in my riding life (4 times). Once back in 1981 while doing over 120 MPH on the German Autobahn when a Pontiac Stationwagon (American driver) pulled out and left me no warning, LOW-SIDED and I slid for about 1000 feet, just road rash due to leathers. The Suzuki GS750 hit the car but I slid past on the left side.
    Then in 2015 I hit a concrete barrier at 70+ MPG and slid for over 350 feet but LOTS of injuries due to the first impact and then there were those "Rummble" strips on the left shoulder of the road that I slid down.

ATGATT!
    Retired US ARMY

Real Name
    Chris
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ98092 View Post
    Heat will be a bit of concern as will be cold if we leave too early in the season....
    I'll probably just bring my heated jacket liner and gloves. It is sooo sweet to turn the dial and get instant warmth. My only regret in my purchase of heated gear, is that I waited so many years to get it.

As for the hot weather, Cycle Gear's Heat-Out long sleeve t-shirt worked really well last year into 105F temps. When it got hot enough, I added a soaked Cycle Gear cooling vest. It was like my own personal air-conditioner.

Side note: On my trip to South Dakota earlier this summer, I stopped at a diner in a podunk town that I have no idea what the name was. It was hot. Like around 100F. Before I left, I went out to the bike to get the cooling vest that I had stored in a plastic bag and was full of cold water still. There was a family in the diner with a teenage daughter. She gave me this funny look like, "look at the strange man putting on that dripping wet vest". I just chuckled inside, because I knew how great that would feel when I walked out into the scorching hot oven outside.

Chris

25. LikesDaveJ98092, notacop liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Lots of folks and some riders don't appreciate how a wet vest properly used works and how much more comfortable you can be buttoned up in ATGATT.
    I was putting on the wet vest under an overpass near Needles while the Harley riding couple were stripping down to wife beater and tank top garb.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing as the saying goes and they showed very little knowledge about riding in 100 plus degrees.
    Conversely, even in the summer I don't go on tour without my heated gear and heavy gloves. Yah never now what nature is going to do.

27. LikesDaveJ98092, TelemarkTumalo liked this post