BMW F800 Forum banner

2018 bmw g310gs

14K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
Rider magazine, in their February issue, mentions that the G310GS will sell, in the U.S., for $5,695. It will have 7.1 inch of suspension travel, and front and rear, two-channel ABS that can be turned off. They don't mention when the little GS will be available at U.S. dealers.

(This is irritating. I can't seem to get capital letters to show up in the title after I post the subject. [:(!] Could it be that is because the G is a little BMW? :rolleyes: )

#4 ·
You might find this review interesting. It is the first riding review of the little GS that I have seen so far:

#5 ·
Well, Mark, that last No. Korean nuke test did in my dash read out with rogue EMF.
I read the 650 difficulties on the forum and have my reservations about the long term ownership.
The G650GS is a nimble little bugger to zoom around on.
Not to say that the new 310 won't have it's own issues to be found out about.

#10 ·
"then... the problems on the bikes (every bike of every brand) are the lifeblood of the fora"

The manufacturers working model now is to under engineer important parts, give the bike a whizz-kid look and hope the suckers that are born every minute keep buying.
Recalls on stators and reflector frames and gas tanks? These things have been properly designed decades ago, they just cheap out and hope they get away with it.

#12 ·
Yo, went to the dealers today and rode the 310R. Revvy little bike poorly set up and with the low fuel indicator showing.
The 310GS feels like a full size bike compared to the R which I tried.
Before you know it you are at 35-40mph in 6th gear feeling like that's it at 4K rpm. Crap my G650GS is at 70mph at 4500 rpm.
This is an entry level bike that folks would quickly outgrow.
The clutch was set so that engagement was at the outer end of the handle travel. I killed the engine several times piddling around in the local hills.
I had to rev the crap out of it as I tried to find the launch zone.
For the money there are probably several offerings out there that are more suitable.

So I think I found the fault in my dash problem on the G650GS and have found new respect for the 650 single.
i won't be trading the 650 in for the 310 which is a ....your term here...bike.

#14 ·
I checked with a local BMW trained tech and gave my G650GS another scan for my dash problem and found I had overlooked a faulty fuse.
I'm so chagrined. So the 310GS is not even possibly on the horizon as a swan song for BMW for my experiences.
i'd go for a Suzuki 250 or Yamaha 250 dual sport before giving the 310 a purchase. Give it a couple years to prove itself.

#16 ·
The May issue of Motorcycle Consumer News contains a full road test of the G310R. Some of their specifications and performance measurements include: 59 mpg; 171 mile range; 60-0 stopping distance, 149 feet; 0-60 takes 6.02 seconds; quarter mile time of 15.11 seconds @ 84.44 mph; rpm @ 65 mph is 6,500; maximum measured power at the rear wheel is 31.45 hp and torque is 19.32 lb. ft.; measured wet weight is 367 pounds. The engine performs best between 6,600 and 8,800 rpm and they downgraded the engine for its peaky power and also the brakes for their poor performance, giving both components 3 dots out of 5.

However, what really got my attention is the cost of the 12K mile maintenance. [uhoh] Using an hourly rate of $130 (typical of BMW shops in California), the 12K maintenance, including a valve adjustment, totals $1075! [:0] This consists of $645 worth of labor and $430 in parts cost. Those maintenance costs were a real shocker to me for a single-cylinder motorcycle that sells for $4,750. [SQ]

#17 ·
Richard, Rider magazine has the 310GS write up this month too. Just got the mag in mail yesterday.
Wet weight of 367 is nice but the 59 mpg is sucky. The G650GS weighted 430 pounds at the local scale and I get better mpg than that. I've gotten in the low 70's but typically in the 60's.

#18 ·
I just finished reading Rider this morning as I received it a few days ago. I noted that the GS apparently is kind of buzzy at some speeds, while most reports say that the R model is quite smooth except near redline. It must have something to do with the chassis design of the GS.

#19 ·
Well I know I've not been around here for ages (mainly because I'm still in Melbourne and my bile is in Auckland).

But saw a small BMW yesterday and thought "what's that?"

And after a bit of Googling found the 310 - looked good and good to see BMW extending their range. The bike looked good and certainly seems to have enough poke for an around town bike.

But won't get me off the tram however :)

#20 ·
Here are a few photos of the G310 models at my dealer's showroom that I took last year. The GS model is a big step up in both price and size, compared with the "R" model (no big surprise here) - although not in engine power.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.