Metzler Roadtec Interact Z8 Cracking? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

6 Days Ago
    Metler Roadtec Interact Z8 .... Odd experience. Asolutely love the Z8 for performance and handling but am going to change. Here's why.

A couple of weeks ago my rear had done 8,000 Kms and was near the end of it's life. Still had centre tread (although minimal) and certainly no where near worn down to threads. Had arranged to have replaced the following week but something came up meaning I had to do an urgent 400km round trip. Inspected tyre carefully before leaving and looked OK.

150km into the trip I had to cross 400m of gravel road works. Nothing out of the ordinary at around 30kph. A couple of Ks further on a flat tyre. It was leaking in 5 places. Dammit, only had 2 plugs with me Even worse, there were thousands of small cracks in the rubber all of the way around the centre of the tyre! WTF!

I consider this a catastrophic failure and quite worrying. I have never seen this sort of tyre failure before. Seen a few worn down to the threads but never that sort of cracking. Certainly not seen a tyre develop thousands of cracks over 150km. My concern is the degree of degradation over such a short distance after an inspection showing no visible problems.

Has anyone else seen this?

M

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    At the end of tire life riding on fresh chip deal I got a puncture. Tire carcasses at weak as they get on in life.
    Your 400m of gravel may have had a huge appetite!

2 Days Ago
    Can you check your tire side wall to see how old your tire is ?

5. LikesDaboo liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

6 Days Ago
    Unable to now. Was away on a trip and needed to buy another to get home.

2 Days Ago
    The reason I am asking is because I know someone who has turned away completely from Dunlop because she dropped her bike and blamed it on the Dunlop tires. When I checked her tires, they were ~10 years old and the rubber compound was almost as hard as tupperware boxes. I have used Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ and Dunlop Elite 4, they are excellent tires. On the other hand, the Dunlop D404 that I had on another bike were not great. You get what you pay for.

Motorcycle Tires manufacturers recommend to replace them every 5-6 years even if the tires still have plenty of tread. Tire tread means nothing if the rubber compound is as hard as wood.

I have had 5 sets of Metzeler tires on three different bikes over time. Not a single problem.

6 Days Ago
    Hi usa, thanks for the feedback. Good point but I would be reasonably confident that they were not that old. They had been on the bike less than a year and I had purchased them direct from the importer so I know that they had not been sitting on a shelf at the local bike shop. I have actually put another the same on last week because the front is only half worn. When the front is done I will be changing the full set. I'll have a chance to re appraise the Z8 then I guess.

What sort of mileage are you getting out of the rear Metzlers? This one was done at 8,000 km. Exclusively touring and twisty riding.

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Riding on old tires is a game the OLD CAR people play. Horseless carriages, older than 1915, sit for months or years in garages and get taken out for tours a couple times a year. They don't get new tires because they want original or original looking parts on the cars.
    I know some bike collectors with many motorcycles in their garage that will ride on 20 year old tries explaining that they have plenty of tread, which they do. It's just hard as a carp.

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    The tires that came from the factory on my R1200RS were Z8s. I replaced the front tire at 8,500 miles and the rear tire at 9,500 miles. Neither tire had hit the wear bars at the time they were changed and probably would have gone another 1000 miles, if I hadn't been a little worried about riding on wet roads with almost bald tires.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

6 Days Ago
    I take your point about older tyres but I am confident that one was not 'old'. I replaced that trashed Z8 Interact with a brand new identical tyre to keep a match with the one on the front. Seven months on .....

Had a bad experience with Metzler Roadtec Interact Z8s in the damp a few weeks ago. Demonstrably not good in the damp. Riding buddy on Michelin PR4s, Mine on Z8s. On a 120km twisty back road run in drizzle and on damp surfaces. Same speeds, leans, lines. Certainly being conservative as conditions not ideal. Mine had multiple small let goes and two serious 2 wheel slides while the PR4s were rock solid, never slipped and totally confidence inspiring with 'a lot more to go' according to my riding buddy. Very very graphic comparison of the two different tyre sets. The Metzlers are well matched with the PR4s and very good when the roads are dry though.

I was initially very happy with the Metzlers but there are now too many negative hints building up for me. The Metzlers have been removed from the bike even though not fully worn.

Personally, never using Metzler tyres again when I now know that there a much better wet road tyres than the Z8s.

Real Name
    Mike
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I had a rear puncture on a Z8 with only a few hundred miles. Tried a plug but the hole was too big and, after reading user reviews, replaced it with a Metzeler Roadtec 01 while still using the Z8 Interact on the front. I contacted the seller and they recommended not running a mixed set, but, too late. I'd already made the purchase. Bottom line is, there's no discernable difference in handling on dry surfaces and I haven't taken the bike out in the rain lately to see if there's a wet handling difference.