BMW F800 Forum banner

Cycle World magazine

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  TheMeteor 
#1 ·
Reactions: N4HHE
#2 ·
Yah, got that the other day. Gone Boutique issue on us. Zowie an article on exotic metal parts for your unaffordable bike.
The Editor crowing about how wonderful this new format is going to be.
Like the political parties...boys, you ain't talking to me no mo! Adios, I can get another box of Vella Cabernet with the money I save.

#3 ·
A friend described it thusly: "Are you sure this isn't an April Fool's Joke? If so then its not funny."

Reactions: Richard230
#4 ·
#6 ·
End of an era for the motorcycle print industry. Road Runner is about only remaining and one of the better reads. Agreed that, generally, younger folks just want a YouTube video of 5 minutes or less and don't want to bother with print.

#9 ·
I subscribe to Motorcycle Mojo. It's a Canadian publication that focuses on mainstream models and road trips (typically in North America and Europe). The staff riders offer a variety of perspectives. They do have a 'garage' feature article which describes in detail various maintenance procedures (check valves, vibrations, clutch, lightbulbs, etc.)

https://www.motorcyclemojo.com/

https://www.motorcyclemojo.com/

Prices are in Canadian dollars, so US and European customers will be pleased. [:)]

#10 ·
Received my issue yesterday. I read Kevin Cameron with sadness last night knowing it was the last time I would read his article in this format. I know I can read his articles online but, for me it is not the same. I usually read my bike mags in bed. Holding the tablet in bed is not the same. Nor would the back cover Aprilia ad be quite as beautiful on a tablet vs printed page.

Reactions: Richard230
#11 ·
I guess the Cycle World crew had one foot out the door for the final print version. The Peter Egan article on the Himalayan is very good but the picture which is supposed to depict him in the doorway of his Wisconsin garage looked off. I noticed that the bike to left side if the page is badly Photo Shopped in. It kind of floats. Then noticed, in spite of the very bright light over Peter's head, there is no shadowing around that bike. However, the bike at the right side does have a shadow. Looking further, the bike with the shadow is displaying the rear of the bike. However the matching 'shadow' of the bike on the floor is a front-end shadow image.....forks and front wheel.

Really sloppy work...guess they mailed it in for the final issue.

Reactions: Daboo
#12 ·
I received my final issue two days ago and haven't looked at it yet. I have been reading Cycle World since February 1962 and have been a subscriber almost as long. Frankly, I think the early magazines during the 1960's and 1970's were the most interesting and provided the best factual information. There was even about a 10-year period when they tested rear shocks on a suspension dyno and published a curve showing how the compression and rebound dampening altered through the shock's entire stroke. About the time that feature went away, the magazine slowly started going downhill, in my opinion. After that era, I thought Motorcyclist magazine was the best one on the market. I should also mention that I also really enjoyed both Cycle Guide and Cycle (noted for completely dismantling engines, photographing their guts and returning the parts to the distributor in a basket) back in the late 1970's, though the 1980's. And of course, I have every copy of Motorcycle Consumer News every published. Even Rider magazine seems to have sneaked away into the pit without even bothering to notify their subscribers that their prepaid subscriptions were forfeited. I had really expected more from that magazine. All gone now. [:(]

Reactions: N4HHE
#15 ·
The content quality did slip quickly once Dave was no long the editor. Sad because it was my go-to most months. Learned a lot about gear choices and new ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.