BMW F800 Forum banner

2 quick questions

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  rcb78 
#1 ·
Hello folks,
Still plowing through owners manual. Does 2017 f800gs really need premier fuel? I am sure oil has been done to death, but dealer is telling me BMW oil is worth the price. Anyone have thoughts? My 70s to 90s airheads all use Dino-oil.
Thanks,
Tim

#2 ·
Well, Sparky. I ran regular 87 gas and in Colorado 85 ron and had no issues. Oil, BMW sales make the rich richer. Any Moto specific oil will do. I ran Honda oil and now use the cheap crap from Wally Mart Shell Rotella T6 or whatever is appropriate. At least we believe the Jaso MA means motorcycle friendly and are putting thousands of miles on our bikes using it.
One of the erstwhile members bought BMW oil for his Airhead and forgot that Castrol 20-50 is still around for a fraction of the BMW offering.

#3 ·
My 2016 RS recommends "premium fuel" in the owner's manual. But then calls out 89 AKI ("pump") octane for use in the engine. Apparently BMW's use of the term "premium fuel" has to do with using a name-brand "top tier" gasoline and not the octane level. So re-read your owner's manual and go with whatever octane specification the book recommends. (In the U.S. we have three octane grades, 87, 89 (mid-grade) and 91 (also referred to as "premium", which is nothing but a marketing term to make you feel good about spending more on a fuel that you might not need).

Reactions: notacop
#4 ·
For the earlier models of the F800GS the ECU could be reprogrammed to permit 87 octane fuel to be used.
I don't know if that is still and option for the later model bikes or not....
I would not run 87 octane in an as-delivered F800GS but that's just me.... I'd be worried about pre-ignition damage.

On the oil, yeah that's been beat to death ... synthetic or semi-synthetic "motorcycle friendly" and I think you are good to go.
For hotter climates I'd go with 20W-50 which is an approved viscosity range for the twins.

#7 ·
I live in Paraguay, actually what I said is incorrect, I have access to fuel with 10% or less but no all the time. I started using e10 two weeks ago becasue I did not know about this e10 requirement. But, if I go to a trip and there is no other choice I use fuel with higher %

#10 ·
Seems to me that BMW otta know that in some parts of the world, where they sell their bikes, that users will be forced to get whatever fuel is available.
Would it make sense to sell a motorcycle that wouldn't work to people when their choices are limited? Unless their warranty specifically forbids use of such fuels it's tantamount to acceptance of the use.
I remember the owners manual for my ST suggested premium gas. It said that using using other grades MAY result in reduced power and fuel mileage. I never had a problem that way. Got the best MPG's in Colorado on 85 Ron, 73 mpg's.

#11 ·
You might be interested to know that the owner's manual for the 2020 R1250 models says that the engine can now use up to !5% ethanol fuel.

#18 ·
Yep, my S has no gas gauge readings either. I have in recent years been able to fill with pure high test gasoline. Makes the small tools I use for the yard run without complaint.

I mentioned the auto industry as my friend had over 40 years with GM and had mentioned the effects on the float in the tanks.

#19 ·
Depends on what the material is. I ran E10 through a single set of Webers for over 20 years and and nearly 100k miles and they worked just fine that whole time. Never changed floats, gaskets, o-rings or anything in that whole time aside from jetting as the engine changed over the years. Same can be said for the plastic float gauge in the gas tank of that car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.