BMW F800 Forum banner

Hot air on thighs

17K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  ccwatchmaker 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 f800GT and find the hot air that comes out of the eyelet vent near my thighs get quite hot in temps over 25 degrees. There was a lot of discussion on this subject a few years ago and I was wondering if a fix was found. Further have the 2016, 2017 models been updated so this problem doesn't exit any more. I am considering changing to a R1200R as the weather gets very warm in Australia
[8D]

#43 ·
I'm interested on the possible solution.

I've owned my F800GT for the last 5yrs and until recently, never had any issue with the hot air coming into my legs. A few weeks ago, I decided to change the windscreen from OEM to
a ZTechnik VStream (a couple of inches taller than the OEM) and since then, every time I ride, I feel like my legs are getting cooked. But the improvement on the buffeting/bugs splashed on my helmet
has been great. So, I right now I would like to keep the new screen, as long as I can find a solution to the new heat on my legs.

Thanks

#46 ·
I do, but I have trouble uploading to this site. I bought silicone sheets online from Amazon. I cut out according to the openings on the frame and fairing.
The hard part was trying to glue/attach the silicone to the frame.
I will try to upload pictures, but I have been on this site a long time and still can't figure it out Road surface Wood Finger Asphalt Concrete
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Vehicle Automotive design
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Crankset
Automotive lighting Helmet Bag Audio equipment Personal protective equipment

I was able to upload thumbnails.
I cut the silicone sheet into half and used one for each side. I used cardboard as a template to cut out and mount the silicone into the various openings on the frame where hot exhaust exits the engine.
The hard part was actually mounting the silicone with cardboard backing to the inside of the frame and fairing. I used a glue gun to attach thinking that the hot exhaust would melt the glue and would have to start all over again. So far it is holding.

I am not worried about the rerouted hot exhaust would cause the engine to overheat. I can tell the hot air is still exiting but just further back on the bike.

Attachments

#56 ·
Actually, one does not need to "Ikea it". There is a smart phone app from Google named, appropriately, Google Translate. The app is available for either Android or iPhone. Using the app, the language to be translated and the language to translate into is entered; then one points the camera at the text and it is almost instantly translated and readable on the phone screen. . There is a useful Google Help page describing the process step by step. Even I was able to translate the Japanese text almost effortlessly.

In addition to the text in the instruction booklet, there are many photographs illustrating the process. Fitting the guards looks fairly simple, albeit time consuming because one must remove the Tupperware. I am waiting for warmer weather before I tackle the job; the high temperature here today was 34 degrees F. (1.1 C.).

#49 ·
HI Bonnie, years later here I'm with the heating issue for my gt from 2017 that seems to be the same of the previuos model. I'm wondering if you have some pics of the job you did with the silver insulation . did you apply it both on the white and black plastic part of the bike? anywhere else ? does it actually work. thanks very much for your attention
Alberto

#50 ·
Here is a link to a thread that shows how I insulated my bodywork - it does help some. You will have to scroll down the entire thread as I had several posts. The windshield vents also help considerably. https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/318633-Beat-the-Heat!

I think more benefit was achieved by installing some foam strips between the bodywork and frame. The heat doesn't come out the vent nearly as much as it comes from the gap between the frame and body. I first tried filling the gap with cotton socks to see if it worked - and it helped. The black foam I eventually installed is holding up fine....I had to stack up a couple of different thicknesses in some places to account for the large width gaps. Some folks commented about keeping the heat trapped - I don't believe it is trapped.....it is just redirected down to the bottom of the bodywork near your ankles. The changes have not created any heat issues with the bike and I don' notice the cooling fan running any more than it used to......it only comes on when I get stuck in traffic or have lots of stops at intersections. (the temperature gauge in the dash never moves above the same place once it is up to temperature).

On really hot days I can still feel some heat radiating from the frame. It is far worse if you get stuck in traffic or ride in town with intersections and stop signs/lights.....when I finally make it out of town it takes a few miles for things to cool down again. When I can keep 60mph air flowing through the radiator the heat issue is far less.

#51 ·
For those of you trying to chase this down, I suggest getting an infrared thermometer from Harbor Freight. It'll take some guesswork out of things for you, and only costs about $25.

I have one and found the frame put off far more heat than I ever expected. My memory is probably off, but I think there were temps up to 180F in places on the frame. It makes sense, since the engine is stressed member of the frame.

I have a couple pairs of riding pants. My go to pants are Olympia X-Moto pants. They are made from some heavy duty Cordura. I rarely feel any heat through those pants. Maybe once a year and it is easily taken care of by moving my knee out away from the bike. About 18 months ago, I bought some HWK pants on Amazon for about $50. As the price indicates, the material wasn't as robust. They are good pants, but the material is much thinner. I was surprised to feel the heat through them.

Besides the difference in the thickness of the material, the X-Moto pants are a overpant, so there's also my blue jeans under the pant material. With the HWK pants, not only are they much thinner, but they aren't an overpant. So there's much less material between my skin and the heat source. It makes a difference.

I saw a small group of riders pull into a gas station last June/July. It was hot outside. These were obviously local riders out for fun. One of the women had done something I thought was rather innovative. She'd sewn pads with straps that were on the inside of her thighs. Sort of like pot holders with straps. She didn't modify the bike (not a F800GT), but she modified her riding gear.

I hope this helps.

Chris

#55 ·
My guess is you're trying to ride without protective gear. If so, there are some great cars with air conditioning you can buy. In the winter, you can turn a knob and get more heat.

I've ridden in 116F (46C) temps for hours. My thighs never got scorched. As I wrote a couple posts higher though, I have multiple pairs of riding pants. The thin ones offer little protection to the heat. The thicker ones with blue jeans under them, do marvelously. What's more expensive...the new riding pants? Or the loss on selling the bike and buying another that will probably be just as hot. You are sitting on top of a engine putting out 90 hp.

#54 ·

This is the complete solution for the F800GT. I am inAustralia. My full spec 2016 model gave me blisters on my inner thigh. This frame guard (with inside heat reflection) fits perfectly, greatly improves the look of the bike and is 100% effective. I did block off the small openings on the fairing also.
Some guys have been unhappy with the price but it was a lot cheaper than selling and finding something else to replace a bike that was perfect for me. Sasaki sports club : Frame Heat Guard [SFCJ-801-DC]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.