BMW F800 Forum banner

Shoei neotec pinlock

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  rcb78 
#1 ·
Any one using the pinlock system ? And what's your opinion ?

#2 ·
I am using that helmet with the pinlock system. It does a pretty good (but not perfect) job of keeping the face shield clear of fogging. However, it doesn't keep my glasses from fogging though. Also, you do get some distortion when looking through the plastic, which is more evident at night. Plus, the pinlock shield scratches easy and you have to be very careful when cleaning it. Finally, replacement pinlock shields are really expensive for what you get, as much as many other helmet brand's entire face shields. (I am a glass-half-full sort of person.) [;)]

Reactions: Cheesy rider
#3 ·
I'm happy with mine, though I completely agree about the glasses thing. Luckily the chin vent on my helmet (Shoei RF-SR) is a-freaking-mazing the way it directs air right over my glasses without bothering my eyes, keeps them totally clear. I tend to leave it open unless there are bugs out, then it's a catch-22.
I can see the distortion if I'm looking for it, but I rarely just 'notice' it while riding. They need to be cleaned every so often to keep oily buildup off them that comes from your breath, that can make the distortion pretty bad if not addressed. Best way to clean is in warm water with just a drop of dish soap, exact same way you're supposed to wash the visor itself. One exception, do not wipe the pinlock insert to dry it, shake it off as best you can and then leave it to dry overnight. If you're worried about mineral deposits from the water, you can blot with a microfiber, but don't wipe. It will look pretty freaky at first with all the water absorbed in the coating, just ignore that and it will go away as the water evaporates.

#4 ·
When I bought my Shoei Neotec it came with a free pinlock insert. I thought it was a gimmick and didn't install it...

I also wear glasses and I'm pretty fastidious when it comes to my visors. I carry Mr Sheen (an Aussie spray-on furniture polish) and routinely spray that on at fuel stops. On multiday rides I'll take the visor off, clean it, spray it and be ready in the morning for the pre-dawn departure. It helps the rain bead off, bugs to slide off and also to reduce fogging. Reduce fogging...

About a year ago I did a fast lap of Oz and ran into a couple of horror nights. One with over 12 hours of thick fog over near the west coast where I had to ride with my visor half open to stop the inside fogging, but resulting in vicious burning (freezing?!?!) to my poor old eyeballs. Then a day or so later about 6 hours if insane heavy rain in the dark. The inside of my visor fogged so much I couldn't see, so again had to half open it, resulting in as much water up and inside my helmet from truck wash as there was from the rain.

When I made it home (alive) I decided to try the pinlock. What a doofus I'd been. That thing is great. I can ride in heavy fog or rain with my visor shut. Vents open as needed but visor shut and no rain ingress.

After a few (24 hour riding) days I find it starts to fog at the lower edge. It seems that a tiny crack appears from the pinlock lifting off the inner surface of the visor, perhaps as the silicone bead dries out or something? Once I mastered the technique of straightening out the visor - they don't break - it only takes a minute to remove the pinlock. A drop of detergent, a good rinse and let it dry untouched on the dish rack and it is ready to go in no time.

I have since fitted them to to my Shoei NX or Nt or something full face and to my Shoei Hornet Adventure helmet. They are excellent and I can't believe I took so long to realise that.

#5 ·
...After a few (24 hour riding) days I find it starts to fog at the lower edge. It seems that a tiny crack appears from the pinlock lifting off the inner surface of the visor, perhaps as the silicone bead dries out or something? Once I mastered the technique of straightening out the visor - they don't break - it only takes a minute to remove the Pinlock. A drop of detergent, a good rinse and let it dry untouched on the dish rack and it is ready to go in no time...
I find the same fogging at the bottom, but it is totally out of my view, so isn't an issue.

One issue you may find, is if the seal doesn't touch all the way around...especially at the top. Then water will get in between the Pinlock and visor...and it won't go away till you take it apart and dry them both. The cure is to adjust the posts that the Pinlock fits into. You'll find the posts are not round, but egg-shaped and can be turned to allow an adjustment to get the insert to seal better against the visor.

The Pinlock material is really really soft. Mine hasn't scratched yet, but then I do like others have said and use some soap on it with a lot of water and a very gentle touch. I blot mine a little and then set it aside for about 20 minutes to dry.

On the outside of the visor, I use RainX. The rain just beads up and sheets off before it obstructs my vision. Note...I would absolutely not use it on the Pinlock!

Chris

#6 ·
I love the Pinlock on my Shoei GT Air. One word of warning: many chin vents will allow water to hit the inside of your visor if you get splashed, say by truck wake or even heavily wind-driven rain. If much of that that water hits the Pinlock insert, you will be virtually blinded until you can let it dry by itself off the helmet, so shut that chin vent when it starts to rain more than a sprinkle.

I find that a clean microfiber towel can be used to very gently wipe rinse water off the insert to speed the drying process a little, but only after the insert has been throughly cleaned first by the methods described above.

-dan

#7 ·
Just one further point. Pinlocks work by absorbing moisture, so make sure when cleaning it you ensure it is completely dry. I put mine in a warm cupboard. Oh and don't use washing up liquid. Use the 'purest' soap you can find. Green soap is recommended, but I haven't found a supplier.

#10 ·
:) All I can say is that in real world use, RainX seems to work fine. I counted on it enough in Seattle's rain, that I had a bottle at home and another at work. I've been using it for about 150,000 miles of year-round commuting.

But you bring up some valid points. Thank you.

Chris

#11 ·
RainX now has a new formula that is designed to be applied to all sorts of clear plastic. I think it was the original stuff that was made for glass windshields that Shoei and other face shield manufacturers didn't like. Personally, I use Plexus on my face shields, including the shield of my Shoei Neotech.

#13 ·
I used pinlock with my old Airoh once under the pouring rain. After a while, I started seeing nothing but the fog. When I open the front, rain fell to my face and eyes- no way. I got into a tunnel, pulled to the side and put the pinlock on for the first time. Nothing is perfect but it did the job. I do not know how else I would drive and get out without pinlock.. that all I am saying. From that day on, I carry a pinlock shield for longer travels. I will do so until there is a better alternative. Be gentle about how you install it, it would not work if you don't do it right. Take it off when you are done, it is kind of delicate to handle. I suggest practicing at home before at field under the rain at the road side.

#16 ·
I removed my Pinlock to clean it, and found the spots I saw on it won't come off. I'm not sure what they are, but they bother me enough that I bought a new Pinlock at Cycle Gear.

However, once I removed the Pinlock, I was amazed at how crystal clear my Shoei visor was. So now, I'm tempted to leave it off till this winter. I put some anti-fog stuff on the inside, and I guess I'll find out how well that works for awhile.

Chris

#17 ·
I had a similar experience. Those Pinlock shields are very delicate and tough to clean thoroughly. Plus, I was really distressed to find out how much a replacement Pinlock costs, considering that it is just a piece of thin plastic. When I bought mine it was the same price as most of the replacement helmet face shields that I have purchased in the past. As I recall, I shelled out $40 for a new Pinlock. At those prices I am reluctant to even use it until shield fogging season arrives.

#19 ·
I just bought a neotec in October 2018 and immediately installed the pin lock. I've been using a Nolan n104 with a pin lock for 5 years and loved every second of it. The neotec isn't as good. I've readjusted it several times and it still leaks at the bottom, resulting in fogging in the bottom right. I've ridden several thousand miles with it in the cold (several hundred in the cold rain) and I'm a bit disappointed compared to my old Nolan. The helmet seems more substantial and quieter, but the visor is smaller and the pin lock is not as reliable. I'll keep adjusting it and hopefully get it to seal properly. I typically swap out helmets every 5 years, so I've got a ways to go with this one. Overall I'm a huge fan of pin lock. If you ride in the cold and/or rain, it is a must. Even if it isn't working as well as it should be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.