Shindengen SH775 Series R/R - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Robert
    08-26-20
    Figured I'd start a thread on this as I couldn't find anyone with this R/R on the ST. As I'm about to go on a trip to fairly warm countries I decided to upgrade the regulator with something that would hopefully help with keeping the stator alive. The bike got a new stator 10k km ago.

Got a used Shindengen SH775 for something like 50$ and half of that was the shipping cost to Poland. It's missing the metal backplate but I'm not gonna complain for the price.

Mounting was easy. It fits the stock mounting bracket. It protrudes a bit more towards the inside of the bike but no interference issues. I cut the stock R/R wiring and added simple connectors that fit onto the new R/R.

Stock was running at 14.1-14.2V at all RPMs but I noticed it got a bit more fluctuation once it got hot. SH775 runs 14.2V at idle and 14.5V at higher RPMs. I've noticed it fluctuate a little (14.4-14.6 ) when there's a sudden change in charging conditions. I don't know how it's on other bikes but on the ST cooling in the area of the R/R is pretty bad. On this bike SH775 runs rather hot. I considered the SH847 but didn't want to modify the mounting bracket.

I'll write a follow up after the trip.
    Last edited by bachu; 06-18-18 at 04:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Sergio
    07-17-20
    Looking forward to the results! I might need to get one as well (you're already familiar with my case .

Real Name
    Claus
    05-06-21
    hate to bust your bubble but if it does not have the stainless steel back, and the proper shindengen markings on the end you may have just been sold a fake. the real benefit of the sh775 is that it runs the alternator (in series?) not shunt. so it doesn't overload the alternator or turn the R/R into a big heat sink.

see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYxt...ature=youtu.be
    IBA, 2011-f800st, 1974-850Dunstall Norton, 987.2 boxster
    things i don't lend out starting with "F"; frau, fahrrad, f-geld, f-motorrad 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Robert
    08-26-20
    I've been absent for a while and I'm about to disappoint ( a little ) anyone waiting on the results from the trip.

First things first, to address concerns that it's a fake R/R. I bought this unit used off a Sea doo sea scooter as they use these regulators as stock. It has no metal backplate because it dropped off at some point before I got my hands on it. There clearly used to be a metal plate on the back of this unit. So no, this one is actually genuine but thanks for your concern.

Secondly, the R/R worked flawlessly during the trip, even in traffic in temps over 30C. I've done over 6000 kms during this trip in various conditions and the charging system never faltered. Now, why I don't have any practical results from the trip?

Turns out the cheapo volt meter / USB charger showed wildly different voltage depending on use of the integrated USB charger. That's why I'm no longer at all certain as to it's readings. With my phone ( which worked as GPS navigation ) connected it would show a little over 13V charging at idle and going up to about 14.1-14.2V. It would also show different max voltage depending on use of high beam but only when the phone was connected. Without it charging would be solid 14.5V most of the time. I'm not about to believe that charging a phone at probably max. 2.1A would put any real strain on the charging system. That's why my conclusion is that the volt meter was suffering from some kind of interference when the integrated USB charging port was in use.

Real Name
    Claus
    05-06-21
    yes they were used on the seadoos so likely it is not fake. it's nice to have reliable test gear.find a good digital VOM. and you will be more comfortable with what it tells you.

Real Name
    Andrea
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 ER5
    Hello everybody!
    Finally I found somebody with an ST and the SH775 installed on!
    May I a question? Is your bike ABS version? I heard the SH775 is pnp on no-ABS bikes, otherwise it won't be so easy to install the regulator...
    Can you confirm it?

Real Name
    Robert
    08-26-20
    Hi,
    Yes, the bike has ABS. It's not pnp on any BMW F bike as it has a different connector. Otherwise the SH775 fits in the stock R/R bracket and there's no interference with the ABS pump. It's actually quite similar in size to the stock R/R.

Now, the SH847 is significantly larger. I think it would still fit with a bit of extra effort.

Real Name
    Andrea
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 ER5
    That's great.
    I have an old R/R spare, may be it would be good to use the connectors of the old unit, to avoid wasting of time ordening them brand new.
    Did you find some difficulties on that?

Real Name
    Robert
    08-26-20
    Won't work. The OEM R/R and the Shindengen series R/R have different connectors. The easiest way was to cut off the cables going out from the OEM unit, crimp push-on connectors ( of the sealed kind ) at the ends and just slide them onto the pins of the SH 775.

Some people use a replacement Triumph harness that has the right connectors but you'll need to connect the wires at some point anyway. Plus the harness or the connectors themselves aren't all that cheap. The connectors I could only find in Japan. The harness you can get from any Triumph dealer. I don't have the part number but you can find it on the net.

Real Name
    Andrea
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 ER5

At the end of the story, connectors will be the most expensive part '-.-
    No problem to cut the wires from the old unit, but I would have liked a cleaner job...

Real Name
    Claus
    05-06-21
    you can buy the connectors for shindengen SH775 terminals from Cycle terminal in the USA http://www.cycleterminal.com/furukawa-qlw-250.html

or from

Eastern beaver (in Japan) http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

i have ordered from both without issues.

Real Name
    Andrea
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 ER5
    Thank you Dunstall, very appreciated!

One more question: have you ordened the connector regluator side only, or did you find the whole kit, including the plug bike side?
    I have seen that I can order the connectors regulator side, but I need to arrange the connection on the bike, in some way...
    How have you done?

Real Name
    Claus
    05-06-21
    the kit includes bothe connectors needed to plug into the sh775, you will have strip the wires, crimp the terminals and insert them into the connectors. have a look at one of the two websites, and is should become clear. (one connector is gray, the other black, can't get them wrong)

Real Name
    Andrea
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 ER5
    Bought them, waiting for shipping.
    Now I have just to cut the old unit and use the original connectors for stator and battery.
    I'm thinking also another upgrade: since i'm in cutting and sealing wirings, what do you think if I take advantage and create a derivation from regulator-to-battery connector till the cockpit, where I will fix a voltmeter/USB port???

Real Name
    Andrew
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    It would be better to wire the accessories directly from the battery (and with a fuse.) It is good practice to keep wiring centralized. It's neater than having wires running from multiple points and it's easier to trouble shoot - especially for the next owner.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

Real Name
    Robert
    08-26-20
    Problem with adding a voltmeter directly to the battery is that it would still work with the engine off. Maybe a wire from the headlight? That's the wire most people seem to use.

Real Name
    Cramer
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I use the GPS power plug that is located next to the positive battery terminal for my voltmeter. It's great because it comes on when you turn the key in and stays on for about 60 seconds after turning it off. Perfect for watching voltage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

10-07-19
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Hi,

Yes, Schindengen is a GOOD choice.
    Have it installed on my previous 2003 Honda VFR, and since then, no more cooked stators.
    I have it on my BMW 800 ST just installed, and it runs way more cooler... since it produces the energy it is requested, nothing more being shorted back on the stator...

GREETINGS FROM MONT BLANC

Real Name
    Andrea
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '12 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 ER5
    Finally I installed the SH775 on my bike...
    It fits prefectly!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reg.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	339769

Real Name
    Robert
    08-26-20
    Congrats! Thankfully it is a rather straightforward fit.

Real Name
    Robert
    08-26-20
    If anyone else wants to do this mod keep in mind this:

From my testing it looks like the SH775AA has a voltage set point roughly 0.5V higher than the SH775BA.
    On my bike, with a Lead-Acid battery and the Triumph Link adapter leads:

SH775BA: 14.2V from 2000rpm to redline (3 samples tested, one brand new, two used - all identical)
    SH775AA: 14.7V from 2000rpm to redline (2 samples tested, one brand new, one used)
    I have the AA type and it's 14.5-14.6v at idle and 14.7v above 1500RPM which is a bit high and probably a bad idea if you were to run a Lithium battery.

24. Thanks ccramerusc thanked for this post

Real Name
    Max
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Late to the party - sorry! - but did anyone with their SH775 installs include a fuse on the battery +ve line? .... and if so, what rating please?

Got a polaris-part SH775 coming, and in the meanwhile have a same-plug mosfet rect/reg already in on the ST with an adapting wiring joiner made from the old OEM (also shendigen) rect/reg so not really a major hassle to break into the +ve battery line & add a fuse there, apart from making it accessible & watertight ... Just don't know if its needed?

Cheers

Max

Real Name
    Cramer
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I replaced my stock one with a SH775BA. I did not install any fuse. I figured that the amps flowing through the wires shouldn't be any different than before and the bike already had a way to deal spikes due to RR issues. I just used all the stock wiring. The only thing different was that the stock wiring had 4 wires going to the battery and the SH775BA only had 2 coming out. So I spliced the existing wires together so it would run out of the RR 2 wires into 4 existing wires. That was last summer and things seem to be fine now.
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Max
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    The only thing different was that the stock wiring had 4 wires going to the battery and the SH775BA only had 2 coming out. So I spliced the existing wires together so it would run out of the RR 2 wires into 4 existing wires. That was last summer and things seem to be fine now.
    Yeah, already did the 2 positve / 2ground lines as pairs to the spade connectors in the new plug ... had just heard about the fuses on some of the kits & wanted to cover my bases; think some of the use for the fuse/breaker might be for self-installs with their own battery feed lines in case the polarity to the battery gets reversed? (Must say at least the F800 wiring isn't a fire trap like some of the R1100 looms were, passing unfused heavy amp lines over vibrating sharp metal edges - had a R1150 cop bike in the news not far from me a couple of years ago flambe itself, exciting for the rider apparently).

Thanks for the reassurance too .. now to get it on the bike & see if the stator cover cools down, figure ideally it shouldn't be hot enough to boil water (112degC) where the clutch side is only 56 - don't mind some heat but that much is too much

Real Name
    Cramer
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Rotor type will also have a lot to do with keeping the stator cool. On my 08' I had to swap the rotor for the newer one that has all the extra holes in it for oil to get through to the stator.

Real Name
    Max
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Good point, but don't have a huge 2nd hand market for F800 here in NZ ... and the couple available currently on the NZ EBay equivalent are wanting to sell the motors complete

Anyway, did some riding with the 775 in and the stator housing now showing 93degC vs 112 on the OWM BMW unit (and 102 on a chhinese FH012 clone in between) ... this after abt 3/4hr on 100kmh in 6th with only headlight & grips on, so not huge RPM but probably typical for me ... given water pump reading approx 80+degC I reckon 93 for the housing isn't too bad, definitely happy with nearly 20C / 36F drop.

Had a think on fuses too - will be adding one for 2 reasons:
    - SH775 is supposed to have overvoltage protection; if this is through the easiest method, I'd guess it'd be an SCR 'crowbar' short to ground off a zener reference voltage; but doing this would short the battery too so the fuse is good in this case - it blows, protecting the wiring from the battery, and then when blown protects the rest of the electrics from the bad rect/reg too
    - if the bike is ever jumpstarted badly or the battery is otherwise reversed, I'd guess the 775 would probably be in conduction mode - a fuse in this case again protects.

Happy with the upgrade

Real Name
    Randy
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    I an curious about this mod. I did something similar on a Kawasaki Versys 650 a couple of years ago and was pleased with the result. Is there a video or other documented instructions on the Net on how to do the mod?
    Randy
    2010 F800ST 

Real Name
    Dave
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    There is a problem with putting a fuse bettwen the reg/rect and the battery ..... surge currents.
    Its tricky getting the fuse rating right so that it does not blow during the charge process.
    Some while ago I was involved with such a problem.
    I found that 20A/30A fuses would blow intermittently.
    The fuse needed to be 50A or more.
    Unfortunately if the battery was reversed or jump leads connected wrongly it was a race between the fuse and the r/r - the r/r would loose and protect the fuse.
    The only way that was 100% reliable was no fuse and make sure the battery was connected correctly. We also took care to limit the charge current/voltage with fancy chargers not simple transformer rectifier jobbies. The end customer used a float/maintain charger so we had to use the same type. This type of charger also dramaticaly improved the battery life.
    Putting it crudely - without a fancy charger the battery would not last its warranty period (1 year in use).
    Jump leads in the application should never be needed so that risk was not taken into account.
    We were test charging and discharging a range of SLA batteries from 4Ah to 7Ah prior to offering them for sale to alarm and emergency lighting manufacturers.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

Real Name
    Max
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
    I an curious about this mod. I did something similar on a Kawasaki Versys 650 a couple of years ago and was pleased with the result. Is there a video or other documented instructions on the Net on how to do the mod?
    Randy
    Have a quick look at https://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/VRegulator.html ... that has a small section on the SH775, showing the pins ... the unit physicallys fits in where the original unit mounts, with no modification needed. The SH775 does have different connectors, so you need to get a plug set (1 Grey - stator inputs, 1 black - DC output) and wire it into the bike ... in my case, I cut the leads off the old reg (with about 2 inch stubs left on the old unit so I had a way back if absolutely necessary) and wired the SH775 connectors onto the old BMW wiring - you will have to remove the airbox to get to the battery (round 4 pin) plug which sits just behind the throttle pulley on the throttle bodies..

Wiring in the connectors - any of the 3 yellow stator wires to any of the 3 stator connectors, the 2 red battery lines to the one +ve connector, the 2 green(?) battery lines to the -ve connector. Only 5 wires to connect.

PS: I've got ABS, the wires do clear the unit/pipes, just settle them in place by feel before you tighten up the new unit.

so basic steps:
    - source SH775, genuine, not a chinese knock-off ... buy a Polaris 4012941 from a dealer was how I went
    - source connector set
    - remove all body panels to get to airbox
    - remove airbox (and battery in the process)
    - remove old rect/reg unit (2 plugs, 2 torx screws)
    - remove wiring leads from old rect/reg
    - wire new SH775 plugs onto old rect/reg loom
    - refit modified loom to bike
    - connect loom to SH775, mount SH775
    - refit airbox, battery
    - test run
    - refit body panels

HTH

Max

Mini-loom made from old OEM rect/reg leads & new plugs:

Name:	IMG_20200426_130016.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	364033

New plugs - 3 yellow to grey plug, any to any, red x2 to SH775 +ve, 2 x green to SH775 -ve both in the black plug (middle pin empty)

Name:	IMG_20200426_130025.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	364035

New unit mounted

Name:	IMG_20200514_202854.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	364037

33. Likes MGD109, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Randy
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Thanks Max
    2010 F800ST 

21 Hours Ago
    Sorry for the bump, didn't want to open a new thread on the same topic.

Are Chinese connectors like this -
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002260415898.html

Name:	H50d05fd6e01446b0952e850219dee730K.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	374731
    ok for this mod?

What is the advantage of using the Triumph Harness mentioned?

Edit:
    I find the SH775AA on ebay -
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/264115741685
    but not the BA. Where did you get your BA? (I have a lithium battery)

Also, does "series rectifier" and "mosfet recitifier" mean / refer to the same type of device?

Also2, is anyone familiar with Carmo Electronics' mosfet R/R?
    https://www.carmoelectronics.be/inde...05&language=en

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    ........Also, does "series rectifier" and "mosfet recitifier" mean / refer to the same type of device?

No. Most Mosfet RRs are shunt same as OEM F800 Transistor type. Mosfet is considered more reliable than Transistor.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

37. Likes kaz liked this post

Real Name
    Max
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Sorry for the bump, didn't want to open a new thread on the same topic.

Are Chinese connectors like this -
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002260415898.html

Name:	H50d05fd6e01446b0952e850219dee730K.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	374731
    ok for this mod?
    Looks like the kit I sourced locally; just take care with the connections, I soldered mine as well when I converted the little BMW loom.
    Dunno about the Triumph option, I'm a bit remote in NZ so I didn't want to wait for yet more shipping (SH775 came from a US Polaris dealer).

If you are sourcing an SH775, do beware counterfeit units which are apparently fairly common ... have search & you'll find examples of what to look out for, used to be only the genuine ones would have an alu plate over the bottom too but I'd guess that's now being included on the fakes too. They're OEM parts on Polaris machines so theoretically should be genuine from a Polaris dealer...

Hope this all helps

39. Likes kaz liked this post

21 Hours Ago
    Thanks Max, looks like new is 200$ -
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/polaris/4012941

21 Hours Ago
    Got the Chinese connectors and of these -
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/303341885592

The issue is that when left overnight, my dashboard clock is off point. I'm guessing it's the battery (?) but decided to get the R/R mod parts anyway. It seems the SH775BA swap is a mod on many bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    Rotor type will also have a lot to do with keeping the stator cool. On my 08' I had to swap the rotor for the newer one that has all the extra holes in it for oil to get through to the stator.

Interesting, by new rotor you mean a rotor from an F800GT? Did you had to get an entire alternator and extract the rotor?

Real Name
    Randy
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    I finally bought this (Hot Shot Series Voltage Regulator Rectifier BMW F800ST 2006-2012
    Authorized RICK'S Dealer! ) off eBay for $165. Came with all the connectors. The installation was a PITA, but that was the falt of BMW not Rick's. Getting to and manipulating the connectors is a royal bitch. Now that it is done, I am very happy with the result and I am glad to have paid extra get the whole unit pre-wired.
    2010 F800ST 

43. Likes MGD109 liked this post