Upgrades for the F8R - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Sims
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    I'm into thinking of getting crash bars again, I had a low side slide out of a parking lot, tires were cold, and I gave it a bit much going out. Anyways, didn't do much damage except scratch the engine cover about a nickel size worth.
    What do folks have? I see some cheap ones from China on Ebay but the welds seem cheap, so I'm staying away from those. SW Motech, Givi, and Touratech I think have some. Does anyone own the BMW OEM ones? What does everyone think?

Also I know someone here has installed the Atoplite LED headlight
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QVSVMT...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Anyone have any comments?

Also has anyone fitted some aftermarket wider footpegs?

2. Likesportland bmw liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gunther
    1 Day Ago
    I mounted Givi tubular crash bars, unobtrusive, on the right side, they camouflage with the radiator hoses, they also work well: I let the bike drop while at slow spees, and nothing got damaged
    Su cunnu!

04-20-19
    Motorcycle
    '79 GS550E
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800R
    If you want to go cheap you can get T-Rex racing sliders set for 50$ shipped. I chose these over bars as they are comfy to rest my legs on during extended highway time.

6. Likessharkey liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Pete
    6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 Bullet 500EX
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Just picked up a SW motech engine guard set this afternoon from Mororrad Garage in Sydney ( originally they were only in Perth). have to fit them at some point in time... just wanted to work out the torque settings etc before proceeding. here is a pic from their website
    :Click image for larger version.

Name:	2015 F800R eng Guard SW Motech.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	335141.
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed. ― Robert M. Pirsig,

Real Name
    Matt
    10-14-19
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmacus View Post
    I'm into thinking of getting crash bars again, I had a low side slide out of a parking lot, tires were cold, and I gave it a bit much going out. Anyways, didn't do much damage except scratch the engine cover about a nickel size worth.
    What do folks have? I see some cheap ones from China on Ebay but the welds seem cheap, so I'm staying away from those. SW Motech, Givi, and Touratech I think have some. Does anyone own the BMW OEM ones? What does everyone think?

The light output on the LED headlight is great, I've had mine for over a year.
    MattGeckoLEDs.com

Real Name
    Mark
    02-23-19
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    SW Motech engine guard kit on my F800S, very high quality. Recommended.
    Now: R1150R Rockster, F800S, S1000R, K1300S
    Then: R850R, R1100R, R1150R, R1200C, Buell, usw

Real Name
    jimmy
    08-06-19
    https://advdepot.com/collections/bmw...guard-f800r-15
    I love mine! Dropped by bike in driveway and only got very small scratch on crash bar and bar end weight! Worth every penny!

Real Name
    Tony
    11-29-19
    Motorcycle
    '11 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    SW Motech on mine. Love them and they look great. All the torque specs are included in the instructions which are available online.

Real Name
    Phil
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    Howdy,

I had the Givi TN691 bars on my F8R when I stalled it doing a U-turn. It fell to the right & all I got was a scratch on the extremity of the crash bar, the handlebar end weight sliders and the sliders I have in place of my rear footpegs. The rear sliders definately helped keep the rear of the bike off the ground.

Since then I have added the Chinese lower engine bars as well. For the cheap price the welds are OK, they fitted great & are a good weight, so the tube must be reasonably thick wall. They also match the size & finish of the Givi bars so they don't look out of place.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	bar_slider_1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	335737Click image for larger version.

Name:	crash_2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	335739Click image for larger version.

Name:	crash_1.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	335741
    Regards,
    Phil.

14. LikesBlackieburger liked this post

Real Name
    Sims
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mariner View Post
    Howdy,

I had the Givi TN691 bars on my F8R when I stalled it doing a U-turn. It fell to the right & all I got was a scratch on the extremity of the crash bar, the handlebar end weight sliders and the sliders I have in place of my rear footpegs. The rear sliders definately helped keep the rear of the bike off the ground.

Since then I have added the Chinese lower engine bars as well. For the cheap price the welds are OK, they fitted great & are a good weight, so the tube must be reasonably thick wall. They also match the size & finish of the Givi bars so they don't look out of place.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	bar_slider_1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	335737Click image for larger version.

Name:	crash_2.jpg
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	335739Click image for larger version.

Name:	crash_1.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	335741
    Hey Phil,
    I've seen the Chinese lowers on ebay/aliexpress, but I'm worried about buying them. The welds in photos always look crummy. It is however the same design that Wunderlich has. Unfortunately they are too much in the US, I think about 370+shipping. So I am purchasing them from the German website and having them delivered to my brother who lives in Europe. Hopefully that way they'll be under warranty, and supposedly they are made by Wunderlich. How accurate that is I don't know, but hopefully they are.

So you run both the Givi and the lowers. Interesting.

Real Name
    Phil
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    Hi Sims,

So you run both the Givi and the lowers. Interesting.
    Look, in all honesty it's probably unnecessary to have the lowers as well as the Givi bars. The Givi's mount higher up the bike & do a good job of not just keeping the engine cases off the ground but also protect the faux-tank plastics as well. I had the opportunity to get the lowers at a good price so I figured 'what the hell'. It's kind of a bit like the Irishman who used 2 condoms... "to be sure, to be sure".

The sliders I replaced the pillion footpegs with are worth their weight in gold for protecting the rear plastics & especially the muffler.
    Regards,
    Phil.

Real Name
    Sims
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    I've dropped my bike a few times, and honestly the only things I've hit was the handlebars and rear foot pegs, never the plastics, I did slide it one time giving it too much gas out of a parking lot (late November, cold tires, cold pavement) and I did scuff up the left engine cover and left side of fork. Luckily I had the saddlebags on which took most of the weight. Also it's very prone to bending the shifter if you drop it on the right side, fixed/replaced a few times. Those bottom bars look good though< I'm getting the wunderlich ones when my brother visits in January

03-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800GS
    I have small Givi bars on the engine only, and they are pretty out of way/out of mind... but do the trick for small dumb drops...Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	347241

Garage:
    2011 F800GS / 2011 F800R
    Past: '07-R1200R '05-R1200GS '06-F650GS '97-R850R '85-K100RS '83-Honda VT500 Ascot

Real Name
    Matt
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Hi Phil.
    Could I trouble you to post the links to the sliders you installed on the passenger pegs? The Lower bar would be helpful, too, if I could order it up from Amazon.
    Thanks!

Matt

Real Name
    Phil
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    Hi Matt,

The Chinese lower bars all seem to look the same, regardless of the brand they are sold under. I bought mine off eBay but that seller doesn't offer them any more. On Amazon, look here.

The welds on the ones I bought are pretty good & the fit was perfect, but you know how that Chinese quality control is.... They come with bolts but I don't trust Chinese ones so I replaced them.

As for the rear footpeg sliders, they are something I made at work from some 1-1/2" Acetal. If you have the ability to make some just let me know & I'll post a drawing you can work to.

Hope this helps !
    Regards,
    Phil.

Real Name
    Matt
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Thanks, Phil! I'll see if I can order up a stick of 1.5" Delrin.

Matt

Real Name
    Phil
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    Here you go...Click image for larger version.

Name:	rear_footrest_slider.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	347953
    Regards,
    Phil.

10-09-19
    Motorcycle
    '15 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '95 R1100RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 K1600GT

My wife has the Atoplite LED headlight on her 2014 F800R, mainly because it has the GS style led daytime running light (DRL) which we noticed is definitely more visible to other road users.

It is literally plug and play; remove the two screws retaining the stock light and unplug the OE lamp, plug in the new one and secure with the OE screws, 10 mins tops.

As the bike didn't have a DRL from the factory, the side/parking light and dip beam were both always on when running, then the same applies now; The LED DRL and dipped beam are both on when running. The bike definitely stands out more, the DRL gets your attention, whereas dipped headlamps are obviously designed NOT to bother other road users.

We both feel that the dipped beam is better than the stock light in the dark, but we're not so sure the LED main beam has quite as good range as the stock unit. In the UK this isn't an issue as there's so much traffic you rarely get to use main beam anyway.

Expensive (cheaper than an OE replacement!) but worth it to improve your visibility to other road users, and it looks cool. My wife has covered over 10,000 miles since it was fitted with no problems.

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    For anyone with the SW-Motech engine guards...do you also have radiator protection? Would a radiator protector not fit with those engine guards?