Just got an o8 F800ST, so... - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Jim
    11-28-19
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    I just got an 08 F800ST, low, so I've got some questions;

What tools do I need to buy? I know there are some 'reverse torx' bolts - what sizes?

How sensitive is the CANBUS/circuit protection? I want to replace the front turn signals with some that are also running lights - either LED or dual filament bulbs.
    I also want to add an LED 'third brake light' bar to the rear with a 'smart flasher' (flashes rapidly for a cpl seconds when brakes are applied). Do I need to use a relay and a separate power line?

Is there a place / way to mount driving lights w/o a crash bar?

I only got one key - do I have to go to the dealer ($$$) for another one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukopia View Post
    …...How sensitive is the CANBUS/circuit protection? I want to replace the front turn signals with some that are also running lights - either LED or dual filament bulbs.
    I also want to add an LED 'third brake light' bar to the rear with a 'smart flasher' (flashes rapidly for a cpl seconds when brakes are applied). Do I need to use a relay and a separate power line?.....
    On my GT I wired a high level LED brake light into the bikes original brake light. Triggers no CAN BUS errors but it will depend on the extra brake light's power consumption.

Real Name
    Jim
    11-28-19
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by MGD109 View Post
    On my GT I wired a high level LED brake light into the bikes original brake light. Triggers no CAN BUS errors but it will depend on the extra brake light's power consumption.
    Where did you get your LED light?

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jim
    11-28-19
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    How do I tell if my bike has the alarm system?
    '08 F800ST Low 

Real Name
    Andrew
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Torx
    T10 left control housing
    T20 throttle assembly
    T25 fairings, control, body work
    T30 muffler mount, signals, motor chassis, rotor
    T40 triple clamp, brake pivot, rear rotor, brake line
    T45 body, exhaust mount, fork axle pinch bolts, controls
    T50 Bar Ends

Torx socket
    E8 gear shift lever
    E10 handlebar clamps, eccentric clamp and adjuster
    E12 Front Caliper brakes

Wrench
    13mm Cam chain tension sprocket
    17 mm Front Axle
    22mm Rear axle
    24mm Drain plug (or 10mm Hex)

Hex
    19mm hex bit for the front axle.
    22mm hex bit for the rear axle
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

8. LikesKukopia, FBoost, TelemarkTumalo liked this post

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Where did you get your LED light?
    I used a purpose made kit to fit my top box:-

https://www.ghostbikes.com/2253-givi...All%20Products

10. LikesKukopia liked this post

Real Name
    Jim
    11-28-19
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    The manual says the temp display will flash when the temp gets near freezing - will it flash if I don't have the temp displaying?!?
    '08 F800ST Low 

Real Name
    Guenther
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    Just to make something clear:

When you mess up the power consumption of let's say the brake light you deal with the ZFE (=Central Chassis Control Unit) on your bike. The ZFE is in control of all switches and lights on your bike and has electronic cutoffs for the wires it controls in case of an overload/short.

The ZFE has 'cousins': The DME (Digital Motor Electronic) and the unit to control the instrument cluster (INST).

DME, ZEF and INST are connected via an Ethernet like wire called the CANBus (Computer Area Network).

So, when you mess around with connections to the lights on your bike, have no fears! You DO NOT INTERFERE with the CANBus.

There should be a 3-pin plug under the cover of the false tank or under the seat. You can buy a connector with a pigtail from BMW to connect your GPS or whatever to it. This plug comes from the ZFE and as such is 'electronically' fused and has no conection to the CANBus.

/Guenther
    Last edited by guenner; 09-28-18 at 05:45 PM.

Real Name
    Guenther
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    The manual says the temp display will flash when the temp gets near freezing - will it flash if I don't have the temp displaying?!?
    It will automatically switch to the temperature display.

/Guenther

14. LikesKukopia liked this post

Real Name
    emlevy
    1 Week Ago

Yes. They were about $65 the last time I bought one (for my ex-'07 ST).
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

16. LikesKukopia liked this post

01-29-20
    I have a 2008 St and I'm looking for a new shift lever, any ideas where to get one that's not the stock BMW lever? Also I just picked up an LED cyclops light and will be installing that this weekend. The H connector for my high beams melted so I need to do some rewiring. Any suggestions? Sorry for the thread high jack.

Real Name
    Mark H
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by guenner View Post
    Just to make something clear:

When you mess up the power consumption of let's say the brake light you deal with the ZFE (=Central Chassis Control Unit) on your bike. The ZFE is in control of all switches and lights on your bike and has electronic cutoffs for the wires it controls in case of an overload/short.

The ZFE has 'cousins': The DME (Digital Motor Electronic) and the unit to control the instrument cluster (INST).

DME, ZEF and INST are connected via an Ethernet like wire called the CANBus (Computer Area Network).

So, when you mess around with connections to the lights on your bike, have no fears! You DO NOT INTERFERE with the CANBus.

There should be a 3-pin plug under the cover of the false tank or under the seat. You can buy a connector with a pigtail from BMW to connect your GPS or whatever to it. This plug comes from the ZFE and as such is 'electronically' fused and has no conection to the CANBus.

/Guenther
    As Guenther states, the CANBUS (Controller Area Network) is a means of communication between the various controllers on the bike, including the ECU (BMSK) and ABS controller. So the CANBUS itself isn’t concerned with electrical loads, but any circuit leading from the controllers is. In particular, the ZFE has certain expectations of minimum and maximum current draw (on startup, the self-check will confirm the presence of bulb filaments, for example). Over-draw a chassis circuit and the ZFE will shut that circuit down. Draw too little (low wattage LED rather than stock incandescent bulb, for example) and it will register an error code and light up an error display on the dash.

So you won’t damage anything by altering the draw on chassis circuits, but you may invoke errors. The good news is the errors will reset once the circuit returns to normal (the fault code will still be stored). The bad news is you may waste money on incompatible replacements for stock items.
    R1200R-LC ​Exclusive in Thunder Grey with Touring Pack. Formerly Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. I rarely visit the forum these days ... 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Seems the 800ST I had would flash the temp warning when it was cooling and then stop once it got to 32 degrees. Maybe it figured that you should know cold by then.
    It's when the heated grips let you know you really need hand guards too. Which I added.

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    Seems the 800ST I had would flash the temp warning when it was cooling and then stop once it got to 32 degrees. Maybe it figured that you should know cold by then.
    It's when the heated grips let you know you really need hand guards too. Which I added.
    The flashing temp on the info panel is not a warning that your body will get cold--it is a warning that the roads under your wheels are approaching the point where moisture on--and in them--starts freezing and getting slick. It really means to slow down and be extra cautious of slippery conditions.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

21. LikesCheesy rider, Mokkybear liked this post

Real Name
    Jim
    11-28-19
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by stearns4 View Post
    I have a 2008 St and I'm looking for a new shift lever, any ideas where to get one that's not the stock BMW lever? Also I just picked up an LED cyclops light and will be installing that this weekend. The H connector for my high beams melted so I need to do some rewiring. Any suggestions? Sorry for the thread high jack.
    Posi-Twist connectors.
    '08 F800ST Low 

Real Name
    Mark
    10-21-19
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '13 CRF250L
    Skene Designs https://www.skenelights.com/ make some great conspicuity lights front and rear for the f800. No compatibility issues with CanBus. Mounting lights to the front of the ST requires some creativity, but can be done. Sometimes a compromise between esthetics, practical use and cost. If you are seeking lights to be visible, you have many more options. If you are after better lighting for night time use, the cost, size and placement become more of an issue. The good folks at ClearWater Lights are great resources and have numerous options. https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pag...s-shop-by-bike

Real Name
    John Carpino
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    I just got an 08 F800ST, low, so I've got some questions;

What tools do I need to buy? I know there are some 'reverse torx' bolts - what sizes?

How sensitive is the CANBUS/circuit protection? I want to replace the front turn signals with some that are also running lights - either LED or dual filament bulbs.
    I also want to add an LED 'third brake light' bar to the rear with a 'smart flasher' (flashes rapidly for a cpl seconds when brakes are applied). Do I need to use a relay and a separate power line?

Is there a place / way to mount driving lights w/o a crash bar?

Tools: I got the CruzTools RTB1 RoadTech BMW Tool Kit, and use it all the time. Compact and has everything you need, can even remove front wheel with this kit. I try to do all my maintenance with this kit, so I get used to working with the tools in case I need to on the road.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SABEgLE9PD_BwE

Real Name
    John Carpino
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by TelemarkTumalo View Post
    Skene Designs https://www.skenelights.com/ make some great conspicuity lights front and rear for the f800. No compatibility issues with CanBus. Mounting lights to the front of the ST requires some creativity, but can be done. Sometimes a compromise between esthetics, practical use and cost. If you are seeking lights to be visible, you have many more options. If you are after better lighting for night time use, the cost, size and placement become more of an issue. The good folks at ClearWater Lights are great resources and have numerous options. https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pag...s-shop-by-bike
    +1 for Skene lights. I have the brake lights and the amber front lights. Easy install, brackets are provided to attach them to the top fender bolts. Much improved conspicuity. I feel much safer with the modulating brake lights.