How far did yours go? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Ewan
    03-30-20
    For anyone interested in how reliable these machines are.

I just retired my 2010 F800R with 187,000 km on it. I could have kept it on the road longer but didn't think it worthwhile spending the money. The motor was still strong so it would have been interesting to see how many km it could actually do.

Asides the usual consumables like chains, sprockets, tyres, brakes I needed a steering head bearing at 100,000 km and 160,000 km and the only major failure was the alternator at 100,000. That was easily fixed with an aftermarket one for AUD550.

Only had 2 gripes with it.
    Indicator switch was not well made and failed a couple of times but BMW changed them free of charge even out of warranty.
    A tendency to kill the motor on the downshift from 2nd to 1st. Typically filtering up to traffic lights when I had just changed down and the lights changed and you want to throttle on immediately - bang! Not funny. BMW suggested it may because I didn't have a stock muffler on and couldn't find any fault. I only ever got it once a month so it wasn't a big deal when I am doing 1600 km every week. I got around it by using 98 octane fuel instead of 95. Cut outs very rare after that.

At the point I traded it in it needed the following for sure:
    Front brake rotors and pads.
    Fork seals.
    Rear tyre.

The clutch was also on the maximum adjustment and BMW suspected a warped clutch.
    Water pump leaking a bit and making some odd noises when cold.

All in all a great bike and I will miss it..

2. ThanksRunmyownlife thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    So...what did you get for a replacement?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...A tendency to kill the motor on the downshift from 2nd to 1st. Typically filtering up to traffic lights when I had just changed down and the lights changed and you want to throttle on immediately - bang! Not funny. BMW suggested it may because I didn't have a stock muffler on and couldn't find any fault. I only ever got it once a month so it wasn't a big deal when I am doing 1600 km every week. I got around it by using 98 octane fuel instead of 95. Cut outs very rare after that...
    Very interesting. This might support my theory that some of the stalling issues are caused by even a small amount of crud or deposits in the injectors. The better fuel you bought may just have had more or better additives to prevent this, in which case it was not the octane rating that made the difference. Our bikes run so darn lean that even a tiny bit of crud can take it over the edge into a stall, especially when first opening the throttle. I use Techron every 3000 miles or if the bike pulls one of those infrequent stalls like you describe.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ewan
    03-30-20
    Hi Chris,

I couldn't resist another one given I can get that many KM from it. I now have a 2017 F800GSA this time. I have a 320km round trip commute every day so I went for the extra comfort and long range tank. I might also get the chance to do a bit of recreational riding if I am lucky.

Ewan.

Real Name
    Ewan
    03-30-20
    Good to know Dan. Lets see if the new one has the same habit.

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    16 Hours Ago
    Where do you commute to and from, Ewan? (I'm guessing from one of our regional cities into Melbourne - whatever, that's serious mileage!) Was the F's renowned miserly fuel use a big plus when considering replacement?

Real Name
    Ewan
    03-30-20
    Ian, I travel from my small rural property in South Gippsland into Melbourne. You are correct-ish. The choice was more about range. I didnt want to be refuelling twice a day so thats why the likes of the Yamaha MT-09 tracer was scratched early on. It could only manage 300km from a tank and I needed 350-400km. I knew the 800R could do it easy, even when not riding conservatively so the GS was a natural choice. I looked briefly into an Africa Twin but price and running costs were similar and the question was whether I would get 200,000km out of it. I am fairly sure the GS will do it.
    Ewan.

11. LikesIanA liked this post

Real Name
    Sims
    08-12-20
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    That's impressive, must be daily driver, in 8-9 years to get that many km on it. I'm at 34000 on my 2012, but I get about 8k per year.

Real Name
    Ewan
    03-30-20
    Yes, Simmacus. When I got it I was living in Berwick so the annual mileage was about 20,000km. Since I moved its up to about 40,000km per year and I park it up for the winter due to potential ice and wildlife. In the 8 year period I had the bike I had a couple of unemployment stints that helped keep the total down. So far this month on the new GS Adv I have done 5000km and its all sweet with no cut outs.

Real Name
    Ewan
    03-30-20
    Update: The 800GSA now has 54,000km on it and has never missed a beat. No issues, no cut-outs. Tyres and chains only so far.

5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    That's great to hear. I'm itching to get on with the riding season, but my work/good weather schedules are not syncing up. It's driving me crazy.