BMW F800 Forum banner

recyclizer and booster plug, are they any good?

6K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  morfic 
#1 ·
recyclizer and booster plug, are they any good? when i had my sportster i fitted EXieds to it originally and had a small boost, then i fitted a wiseco tuner and that got it dancing to what i wanted out of it, i still find my GS is too easy to stall.... i`ve done 3000 kms on her so far, so should be settled in to her by now, i feel a richer fuel mix at at idle to 2500rpm would help me off the mark. DO THEY WORK? is the booster plug worth the extra dollars? cheers stewart (((-;

#2 ·
I installed a Booster Plug on my F650GS and it did eliminate a surge that I was experiencing when the bike was at full throttle and running under "open loop" conditions. Other than that, it didn't do much. But the price was reasonable and it was easy to install. [;)]

#3 ·
I fitted a booster plug (the extended version) to my F800GT and am convinced it help settle the slower running which is now less prone to stalling and quite a bit quieter from the 'Bag of Nails' I originally bought.

Ian

Reactions: morfic
#8 ·
Wish I would have heard of this last year before I shelled out $160 on a booster plug. I like it, but I would have preferred to spend the $120 difference on something more fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#11 ·
i agree with cheesy, it`s very hard to stall now, maybe alittle smoother running and the engine revs do not drop as rapidly during gear changes now either, has not turned it into a racer, it goes better than me already, can smell it idling abit richer, will check the mileage next ride, but doubt there will be much change, very happy about fixing the stalling issue i had, my previous bike was a harley 883 and i stalled it about 5 times in 32000 kms, i was stalling the GS about 5 times every 200kms... was getting frustrated with myself. happy new year everyone from the bever (((-;

#12 ·
My experience with the similar Booster Plug device, is that after a while the bike returned to its original throttle response issues while running under "closed-loop" part-throttle, when the computer controls the mixture. However, it did permanently correct a surge that I had when using full (open-loop) throttle.

Reactions: Bobverbruggen59
#14 · (Edited)
I have read that it can take some time before the computer adjusts to different conditions and resets to its programmed emission standards. But then I read that on the internet, so you know what that means. :rolleyes:

I have also read that these low-cost temperature spoofers are nothing but a resister and some nice wiring and connectors that cause the FI computer to think it is colder than it actually is. That is why they are so cheap relative to the more expensive products that contain a computer and allow you to adjust the mixture settings. But if they work for you and you are happy with the results, then they are certainly worth the money and a little time for their installation, which can typically be accomplished by anyone who can take off a few plastic body panels. The Booster Plug is certainly easy to install and plugs right into the bike's wiring. All I had to do on my F650GS was to access the battery compartment to install the device.

#15 ·
I know that the the computer on most cars can take 2-3000 miles before they reset fully after a change. Not sure about the system on the bikes but I imagine they may not be so different. Curious about the improvement in open loop running. Far as I know the Booster Plug type mods only work on the closed loop phase.

#16 ·
While the AF-XIED would be superior in any way as it changes what the ECU believes the only sensor it trusts blindly tells it, the O2 sensor and thus can't be corrected out, I think I finally found a justification to add a booster plug.

One is factual, if you reset adaptation the booster plug effect would be immediate and IF it gets fully corrected out by the ECU+AF-XIED duo, it still shortens the period in which my bike runs leaner than I want it.
300 miles in the AFR isn't fully adapted the way it was after the previous 8000+ miles (yes, by feel, as I can't view my trim table)

The second reason is hypothetical, if the bike is not ever in closed loop over a certain throttle position, how would it adapt for those points?
So the booster plug may have an effect left after full adaptation where adaptation can happen if ECU can't adapt for all degrees of throttle position.
IF the ECU has a way to adapt in areas where it doesn't enter closed loop (interpolated data?) then the booster plug would be eliminated and only the ECU+AF-XIED AFR remains.

Since adding the BoosterPlug this way means there is no I'll effect in the long run and does help after a reset in short term, there is no reason not to take the short term benefit of ECU+AF-XIED+BoosterPlug

If you argue that we don't reset computer often, I get the idea, but I'm due for 12k mile service so if they don't replace my plugs, I will and I have another reset coming, one I'll be adding a BoosterPlug in for.

Edit: while I say BoosterPlug, I mean intake air temp spoofer, if I can save a few bucks over BP and get same effect, even less reason not to do it. Will have to compare all products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
after a couple of tanks of fuel i think it`s still a great thing, i`ve stalled once (my fault!) and fuel economy has been 4.0L per 100kms, instead of 4.2L per 100kms, so maybe using less fuel, but it can vary alittle anyway. wow i took the stupid filler neck out of the tank too, what an improvement (((-; takes half as long to fill now and no mess!

#23 ·
Liked the look of accelerator module better and got that and so far so good.
Ripping throttle open at lower speeds/RPM i had a hole where it barely accelerated until RPM was higher and then took off, that's still gone and acceleration doing that is strong.

I added the IAT spoofer to the AF-XIED btw, so far no regrets.
Every AF-XIED user should add it as after a recent reset i noticed how long the mix took to richen back up when the IAT spoofers are immediate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.