F800GT ride to Philip Island MotoGP 2018 - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Hi,

I am posting a link to a 12 min GoPro video of part of my annual ride from Sydney, NSW to Phillip Island, Victoria for the 2018 Motogp. It is a North to South ride of a lovely road rising up, over and down the other side of Granya Gap, just prior to heading up into the Victorian High Country. It is exactly a 12 min ride (and video) . I am 64 years old, was loaded up for ten days away and am not pretending that this is an example of "excellent" riding - far from it. Quite a few real corner stuff ups are well documented.

Riding on aussie country roads needs a different mind set to survive due to the amount of wild life that like to feed on the often verdant roadsides. As you will see there are non-stop trees, bushes and gully's to hide the 'roos, wallabies, wombats, sheep etc.

What is nice to point out is the lack of vibration and the smooth pull through mid-range - (where I spend a lot of my time). I have had a Power Commander fitted, had the whole range dyno-tuned with an Italian GPR exhaust fitted. I had new Roadtec 01's for this trip and the ride was simply spectacular. I am uploading a few more videos on Youtube under Mike Cummings - some boring as bat-shit - but mainly to give other riders a chance to see the roads they might like to incorporate in the future if they head to the GP.

This mid-range tourer is a really lovely bike to punt through the curves of the NSW and Victorian High Country for hours and hours of private fun. Ride to Survive old man!!

Hope you enjoy - and if not just turn off! Cheers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAwn-X0dM8A

2. Thanks IanA, JBinAZ, MGD109, padaek thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

07-09-21
    Thank you for sharing. The F800GT is indeed a fun bike to ride. I've had other kinds of bikes and the F800GT is still my favorite because it can handle most roads without being tiring to ride. I rode my sport bike on twisty roads for a day and was so tired after that. Not so with the F800GT.

Enjoy your bike.

5. Likes mikecummin liked this post

Real Name
    John
    03-07-21
    Motorcycle
    '17 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Nice road, and nice riding.. thanks for posting the video. It reminds me of Central and Northern Calif riding areas. What were your speeds over the pass and then toward the end when the road opened up more? I can never tell because the GoPro wide angle makes speeds appear faster than they actually are.
    2014 F800GT Valencia Orange (Sold)
    2013 R1200GS Orange (Sold)
    2021 F750GS Premium Light White 

7. Likes mikecummin liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinAZ View Post
    Nice road, and nice riding.. thanks for posting the video. It reminds me of Central and Northern Calif riding areas. What were your speeds over the pass and then toward the end when the road opened up more? I can never tell because the GoPro wide angle makes speeds appear faster than they actually are.
    You are correct John. Ironically, GoPro makes speeds look greater but "straightens" corners. In Australia speed is in KPH and a number of those corners are quite tight, (with 30 - 45 KPH advisory speed signs) and yet they look quite unimpressive on the video. I think the overall speed limit on that road is 80 KPH and being the week of the MotoGP, there are a lot of police ready to pounce on unsuspecting (and speeding) riders heading to Phillip Island, so I usually stay within about 10 kph of the limit in most areas. That road is a little less patrolled so I think my speeds towards the end of the descent where it opened up were between 80-100 kph, but to be honest I don't pay much attention when in the twisties - with my ageing reflexes its all eyes on the road or I reckon I would be going bush bashing off the edge!! I have my GoPro microphone taped to reduce wind noise but it usually gets a "whistle" up at over 115 kph. Cheers

10. Likes IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Quote Originally Posted by usa View Post
    Thank you for sharing. The F800GT is indeed a fun bike to ride. I've had other kinds of bikes and the F800GT is still my favorite because it can handle most roads without being tiring to ride. I rode my sport bike on twisty roads for a day and was so tired after that. Not so with the F800GT.

Enjoy your bike.
    You are correct about the comfort of long distance riding on the F800GT. I usually ride between six and eight hours each of those days ( its best to be off the road before late afternoon due to the kangaroos) and I always feel a bit disappointed when I arrive at my destination. The roads can be both challenging and beautiful and are perfect for a motorcyclist, but the lovely handling characteristics, great brakes and my Vario touring screen add-on make the trip such a pleasure. I have the low seat, but have added a shaped memory foam insert under a lambswool cover, so my rear feels quite spoilt!! Cheers

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecummin View Post
    You are correct John. Ironically, GoPro makes speeds look greater but "straightens" corners...
    Just a thought...I watched a video a couple years ago where the camera was mounted on the fairing down low where you could see the road ahead, and on the side, you could watch the front wheel and suspension react to the road.

I thought it was an amazing perspective. Watching that front wheel go up and down...and how the rest of the bike stayed nice and steady, really surprised me. It also gives a perspective of the angle of lean that you don't get when the camera is mounted elsewhere.

And like the others wrote, thank you for sharing the video. It was well done and I felt like I was there.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Thanks Mike, a lot of memories there. I've had 11 trips to the Island since 1992, most on a Moto Guzzi Le Mans. I rode down on my '15 F800R from Shellharbour last January for the Island Classic. Fantastic race meeting.

Granya,, a piece of road that needs to be respected. I seen guys come a cropper on Granya. A mate almost punted his 1100 Katana off the edge one time. One year on the way the to Phillip Island, I came down the southern side without a clutch on my Guzzi. I snapped the clutch cable. Luckily I had a spare already routed and ready to connect (it's a Guzzi thing)..

Granya is in the middle of some of the best motorcycling roads on the planet!
    Last edited by padaek; 01-31-19 at 02:34 AM.
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    You are correct John. Ironically, GoPro makes speeds look greater but "straightens" corners.
    True. That's because you're shooting at a very wide angle. It may look like the corner is 100 metres away when it really is only 30..

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    You are correct about the comfort of long distance riding on the F800GT. I usually ride between six and eight hours each of those days ( its best to be off the road before late afternoon due to the kangaroos) and I always feel a bit disappointed when I arrive at my destination. The roads can be both challenging and beautiful and are perfect for a motorcyclist, but the lovely handling characteristics, great brakes and my Vario touring screen add-on make the trip such a pleasure. I have the low seat, but have added a shaped memory foam insert under a lambswool cover, so my rear feels quite spoilt!! Cheers
    We normally stop at Bright overnight heading down and coming back. Tawonga Gap coming into Bright is also very challenging, especially in the wet. Kiewa Valley Highway is glorious with endless sweepers. The rules dictate one must stop at Dederang Pub, buy a chilled beverage and take a photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8317.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	336971

Name:	Dederang.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	336973
    Last January, Dederang Pub at 35 degC.

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Just a thought...I watched a video a couple years ago where the camera was mounted on the fairing down low where you could see the road ahead, and on the side, you could watch the front wheel and suspension react to the road.

I thought it was an amazing perspective. Watching that front wheel go up and down...and how the rest of the bike stayed nice and steady, really surprised me. It also gives a perspective of the angle of lean that you don't get when the camera is mounted elsewhere.

And like the others wrote, thank you for sharing the video. It was well done and I felt like I was there.

Chris
    Yes Chris, you are absolutely correct. I actually have T-Rex frame sliders (https://www.amazon.com/T-Rex-Racing-.../dp/B018T0KPS4) which actually look quite good and act as a great second place to mount my GoPro for more of the type of viewing you mentioned. Just need two GoPros so I can get both views together. My GoPro for that video was mounted just above the head light so it is well forward and a bit high - accentuating every wobble and poor line I took or mis-took!! Riding style is showing my real age sadly. I tell my friends I wobble all the way south to Phillip Island!! Cheers.
    Last edited by mikecummin; 02-03-19 at 09:10 PM.

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Quote Originally Posted by padaek View Post
    We normally stop at Bright overnight heading down and coming back. Tawonga Gap coming into Bright is also very challenging, especially in the wet. Kiewa Valley Highway is glorious with endless sweepers. The rules dictate one must stop at Dederang Pub, buy a chilled beverage and take a photo.

Name:	IMG_8317.JPG 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	336971

Name:	Dederang.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	336973
    Last January, Dederang Pub at 35 degC.
    Yes, from Adaminaby (NSW) through to Bruthen (Victoria) there are the MOST amazing motorcycle roads. This year I did Tawonga Gap just after Granya (via Dederang,)then onto Bright, Hotham still with snow and finishing in Omeo for the best pub in the high country imo - but didn't turn on the GoPRo for Tawonga Gap ( idiot!). I had new Roadtec 01s in case it did rain ( or snow as it can do at times) but had a dry tail all the way. The tyres were really brilliant and I believe pretty awesome in the wet. Actually one of my favourite rides is up the Omeo Highway through Mitta Mitta - there are some corners up that road, but also incredibly treacherous in the wet.

On the way home I did come back up the Bonang Highway and have a lot of footage of that - will slowly post it up under my name on Youtube - but I guess you have to be a dedicated (or lonely late night) rider to sit in front of a screen for hours watching some other plonker ride badly through 109km of twisties. I am about to put up 12 mins of Elliot Way from the bottom near Talbingo Reservoir ( continuation of Goats Ridge Road - don't you love the names) on the way up to Tumbarumba - that can be a nasty narrow road with rock falls, B-doubles cutting corners all the way down - and if you survive that, you need to navigate herds of brumbies - what a wonderful country isn't it!! Cheers.

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg 
Size:	495.0 KB 
ID:	336979
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0782.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	336981  

18. Likes padaek, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Yes, from Adaminaby (NSW) through to Bruthen (Victoria) there are the MOST amazing motorcycle roads. This year I did Tawonga Gap just after Granya (via Dederang,)then onto Bright, Hotham still with snow and finishing in Omeo for the best pub in the high country imo - but didn't turn on the GoPRo for Tawonga Gap ( idiot!). I had new Roadtec 01s in case it did rain ( or snow as it can do at times) but had a dry tail all the way. The tyres were really brilliant and I believe pretty awesome in the wet. Actually one of my favourite rides is up the Omeo Highway through Mitta Mitta - there are some corners up that road, but also incredibly treacherous in the wet.

On the way home I did come back up the Bonang Highway and have a lot of footage of that - will slowly post it up under my name on Youtube - but I guess you have to be a dedicated (or lonely late night) rider to sit in front of a screen for hours watching some other plonker ride badly through 109km of twisties. I am about to put up 12 mins of Elliot Way from the bottom near Talbingo Reservoir ( continuation of Goats Ridge Road - don't you love the names) on the way up to Tumbarumba - that can be a nasty narrow road with rock falls, B-doubles cutting corners all the way down - and if you survive that, you need to navigate herds of brumbies - what a wonderful country isn't it!! Cheers.

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg 
Size:	495.0 KB 
ID:	336979
    I've had a few interesting experiences at Tawonga Gap. One year heading up, I was leading the group and met two white 4WD side by side. I don't know how I managed to squeeze between one and the left hand side of the road. I must have closed my eyes but my friend behind me said it was really close.

The same friend put his Suzuki Bandit 1250 down the road between Mt Hotham and Harrietville. I was about 50 metres behind him and he was still sliding down the road when I reached him. No damage done and not hurt but eight bikes went down within a couple of kilometres that afternoon. A guy we met at the Alpine Hotel Bright that night also went down. Appears a campervan dropped diesel on the road.

My little sister used to live in Batlow, now living in Junee. The run from Batlow to Cooma via Tumut, Talbingo and Adaminaby is brilliant, especially midweek when there's little traffic. The run from Kiandra via Cabramurra to Khancoban is also epic. Last time I went through Khancoban (January last year) it was 36 degC. Bloody uncomfortable.

I've been retired three years now but have only been down that way once. My wife and I moved overseas to work in 2007 and returned in September 2015 then retired early. Bought another bike, the F800R but haven't done many longer rides. Before moving overseas, I'd get down that part of the country two or three times a year. I've also done the Snowny Ride a few times. Nothing is holding be back so I may head down late February or early March. I don't even mind heading down by myself.

I'm probably that old plonker that holds you up. Early 2016 I lost the sight in my left eye due to a detached retina. The tear was so bad the docs couldn't save my sight, even after an emergency operation and two follow ups. I more or less had to learn to ride a bike again after 40 years of riding. It also left me with some weird balance problems. Slow right handers and turning right at round-abouts scare the Bejesus out of me.

Living on the south coast the Snowy Mountains are easy to get to. No need to go anywhere near the drone of the Hume Hwy. Nowra, Nerriga then onto Tarago near Queanbeyan. Once you hit Cooma, you're there. No excuses.

I've been running Michelin Road 5 on the rear and Pilot Road 4 on the front. Waiting for the PR4 to wear out so I can fit a Road 5 to the front. Great tyres wet and dry.

I love seeing a bike packed up..

Name:	Packed up.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	336993

20. Likes IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Quote Originally Posted by padaek View Post
    I've had a few interesting experiences at Tawonga Gap. One year heading up, I was leading the group and met two white 4WD side by side. I don't know how I managed to squeeze between one and the left hand side of the road. I must have closed my eyes but my friend behind me said it was really close.

The same friend put his Suzuki Bandit 1250 down the road between Mt Hotham and Harrietville. I was about 50 metres behind him and he was still sliding down the road when I reached him. No damage done and not hurt but eight bikes went down within a couple of kilometres that afternoon. A guy we met at the Alpine Hotel Bright that night also went down. Appears a campervan dropped diesel on the road.

My little sister used to live in Batlow, now living in Junee. The run from Batlow to Cooma via Tumut, Talbingo and Adaminaby is brilliant, especially midweek when there's little traffic. The run from Kiandra via Cabramurra to Khancoban is also epic. Last time I went through Khancoban (January last year) it was 36 degC. Bloody uncomfortable.

I've been retired three years now but have only been down that way once. My wife and I moved overseas to work in 2007 and returned in September 2015 then retired early. Bought another bike, the F800R but haven't done many longer rides. Before moving overseas, I'd get down that part of the country two or three times a year. I've also done the Snowny Ride a few times. Nothing is holding be back so I may head down late February or early March. I don't even mind heading down by myself.

I'm probably that old plonker that holds you up. Early 2016 I lost the sight in my left eye due to a detached retina. The tear was so bad the docs couldn't save my sight, even after an emergency operation and two follow ups. I more or less had to learn to ride a bike again after 40 years of riding. It also left me with some weird balance problems. Slow right handers and turning right at round-abouts scare the Bejesus out of me.

Living on the south coast the Snowy Mountains are easy to get to. No need to go anywhere near the drone of the Hume Hwy. Nowra, Nerriga then onto Tarago near Queanbeyan. Once you hit Cooma, you're there. No excuses.

I've been running Michelin Road 5 on the rear and Pilot Road 4 on the front. Waiting for the PR4 to wear out so I can fit a Road 5 to the front. Great tyres wet and dry.

I love seeing a bike packed up..

Name:	Packed up.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	336993
    Bloody hell - lots of dicey stories there mate!!.

Yes, I have been lucky enough to ride most of the roads you mentioned and they can be so thrilling - but will bite you like a death adder in a flash if you're not careful. I always go from Sydney down the Kangaroo Valley and then back up through Nerriga etc on my way down to Cooma. Cant resist the Adaminaby route either! There some big fast sweepers out on those plains heading to Kiandra.

As mentioned much of my time is alone, meeting off-road friends at the end of the day. Too old to be taught new tricks like a 1290 KTM Adventure bike ( where I can't touch the ground!!). A number of my mates are ex-police bikers - so they know how to ride and know how to fall. I respect their skills enormously. But they are very dirty at the end of the day, ha ha.

As for losing the left eye - now that must make life interesting!! I totally agree you have the right to slow down - perhaps get a white cane and strap it onto the back of the bike - that will get peoples' attention if they are impatiently sitting on your backside through the twisties. If I have anyone hassling me I just stick out the leg and let 'em go by. Its not a race to win but a ride to survive - year after year after year!

Re Granya, there is another Youtube video of a bunch of BMWs (and others) punting though there at huge speed. To be honest I couldn't do that even if I wanted to these days, but when loaded up for ten days and all alone, why would you bother - my rides are quick enough when I feel the need. I just turned 65 and still do a couple of track days a year to keep the eye in. Raced production 250s and a Yamaha TA 125 back in the day when I weighed about 60 kg, so I have satisfied the need for neck-breaking speed on the track - its all relative.

If heading down to the Snowies in autumn or winter I will let you know. With nearly 50 degrees celsius this summer, I keep cool by the pool. Cheers.

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    3 Hours Ago
    Nice to have a thread about stuff close to home, I just love the ride challenges of the Vic.Alps and NE Victoria. Over the years they have been well covered on various BMW TS and GS Safari events and have left me with nothing but great memories, including character-building episodes such as slalom runs through piles of frozen brumbypoop along the Alpine Way from Thredbo and a convoy from Dinner Plain through Hotham in horizontal sleet/snow with about 5M. max visibility. Amazingly, no casualties but very tight sphincters!
    This years' TS Safari was initially promoted to be through this area but now I hear it will be the northern NSW. Nothing wrong with that but makes it a bit dubious for a 76YO with a dodgey cancer prognosis. Doubt I will be doing much winter touring this year, but hope to catch up with you and Yogi(Jurgen) next GP.(and Mokkybear, Stig, Donny, et al)

23. Likes padaek, Mokkybear liked this post

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Mike,, when you're a long way from home and out in the sticks, it makes good sense to take it easy. All it takes is a get off, a broken lever and you're stuck. I've been stuck once but that was due to mechanical failure. A flat tyre an hour from home doesn't count.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R

As for losing the left eye - now that must make life interesting!! I totally agree you have the right to slow down - perhaps get a white cane and strap it onto the back of the bike - that will get peoples' attention if they are impatiently sitting on your backside through the twisties. If I have anyone hassling me I just stick out the leg and let 'em go by. Its not a race to win but a ride to survive - year after year after year!
    I let faster riders pass these days. I've been there when I've had more testosterone than grey matter. The beer is just as cold if I arrive ten minutes later.

I'm planning a two or three day ride in the next month or so. I don't even mind doing it by myself. Probably stay at Tintaldra pub again. Love that run from Khancoban to the Kiewa Valley Highway along Murray River Road. I might even stop at the Tallangatta bakery

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Nice to have a thread about stuff close to home, I just love the ride challenges of the Vic.Alps and NE Victoria. Over the years they have been well covered on various BMW TS and GS Safari events and have left me with nothing but great memories, including character-building episodes such as slalom runs through piles of frozen brumbypoop along the Alpine Way from Thredbo and a convoy from Dinner Plain through Hotham in horizontal sleet/snow with about 5M. max visibility. Amazingly, no casualties but very tight sphincters!
    This years' TS Safari was initially promoted to be through this area but now I hear it will be the northern NSW. Nothing wrong with that but makes it a bit dubious for a 76YO with a dodgey cancer prognosis. Doubt I will be doing much winter touring this year, but hope to catch up with you and Yogi(Jurgen) next GP.(and Mokkybear, Stig, Donny, et al)
    The weather in the high country is unpredictable, even in summer.

Some years ago when I still had the Le Mans, a few of us did a run through the Snowy Mountains just after New Year. We took the ladies with us. Three Italian bikes. A Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica, a Ducati 900SS and my MkV Le Mans.

We left home on the coast to a balmy 28 degC. It got a tad cooler by Cooma and frigid by Adaminaby. I managed to get my wife a pair of snow boarding pants at Adaminaby which helped. I was wearing leather pants so it wasn't too bad for me. Snow on the side of the road at Cabramurra. When we dropped down into Khancoban it warmed up. Tintaldra where we stayed over night, quite warm. Alf the owner of Tintaldra Pub told us there was a dump of summer snow that night.

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Hi there. I have finally added a few more Youtube videos of the rides through the New South Wales Snowy Mountains and the Victorian High Country. They are all taken from the nose of my 2016 F800GT. The quality is not great by the time it gets uploaded to Youtube, but they give a nice look at some of the roads many bikers either don't know or don't get to ride. I think at the moment my favourite is the ride from the Cabramurra turnoff down Goat Ridge Road to some storage ponds ( maybe take the travelcalm tablets beforehand).

Now the name of the road should give some ideas of what is ahead. Cabramurra is the third highest permanently inhabited town in Australia and that road pretty much plummets away at times. The GoPro makes it look much wider than it feels on the bike, with blind corners and the chance of cars belting up towards you. There is another video of the ride back up the other side towards Tumbarumba along Elliot Way. This is quite a treacherous piece of road because every time I have ridden it I have had trucks driving down, cutting the very narrow and blind corners, there are rock-falls on the roadway and most beautifully, herds of wild horses ( brumbies) which graze on the side of the road and treat you with great disdain.

There is also a two part video of the well know Tawonga Gap ride starting in the stunning Kiewa Valley in Victoria.

None of the riding is Motogp stuff. Some days I spend six to eight hours on the bike through some remote and potentially dangerous countryside, especially if you go off- lots of nice low armco to prevent you heading a few hundred feet straight down!!!!( or in fact helping a biker launch over the top!!!!) So you will see my motto is Ride to Survive Old Man. I have posted these videos for local aussie riders who are planning a future ride. Hope anyone who watches, enjoys. They very mesmerising and perfect for a pre-bedtime wind down.

You can search YouTube quickly with "BMW F800GT Mike Cummings" or the Cabramurra link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfV2Tbcxeo

28. Likes Mokkybear, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Hi there. I have finally added a few more Youtube videos of the rides through the New South Wales Snowy Mountains and the Victorian High Country. They are all taken from the nose of my 2016 F800GT. The quality is not great by the time it gets uploaded to Youtube, but they give a nice look at some of the roads many bikers either don't know or don't get to ride. I think at the moment my favourite is the ride from the Cabramurra turnoff down Goat Ridge Road to some storage ponds ( maybe take the travelcalm tablets beforehand).

Now the name of the road should give some ideas of what is ahead. Cabramurra is the third highest permanently inhabited town in Australia and that road pretty much plummets away at times. The GoPro makes it look much wider than it feels on the bike, with blind corners and the chance of cars belting up towards you. There is another video of the ride back up the other side towards Tumbarumba along Elliot Way. This is quite a treacherous piece of road because every time I have ridden it I have had trucks driving down, cutting the very narrow and blind corners, there are rock-falls on the roadway and most beautifully, herds of wild horses ( brumbies) which graze on the side of the road and treat you with great disdain.

There is also a two part video of the well know Tawonga Gap ride starting in the stunning Kiewa Valley in Victoria.

None of the riding is Motogp stuff. Some days I spend six to eight hours on the bike through some remote and potentially dangerous countryside, especially if you go off- lots of nice low armco to prevent you heading a few hundred feet straight down!!!!( or in fact helping a biker launch over the top!!!!) So you will see my motto is Ride to Survive Old Man. I have posted these videos for local aussie riders who are planning a future ride. Hope anyone who watches, enjoys. They very mesmerising and perfect for a pre-bedtime wind down.

You can search YouTube quickly with "BMW F800GT Mike Cummings" or the Cabramurra link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfV2Tbcxeo
    Thanks Mike. I love the Kiewa Valley Highway. First time I rode it was on a Guzzi Le Mans in the early 1990s. Fast open sweepers just made for Guzzis. The highway patrol is known to sit either side of Dederang so take it easy. Tawonga Gap is more challenging and damn hard work.

The run from Kiandra through Cabramurra down the other side to Khancoban or Corryong is also challenging but views are spectacular. Turn right at the end and follow the Murray River through Tintaldra, Jingellic, Walwa then onto the Kiewa Valley Highway via Granya. Stop at the famous Tallangatta bakery for coffee and snack. Some of the best motorcycling roads on the planet. You don't have to ride fast to enjoy these roads. Stunning countryside.

I think the road through Cabramurra is the highest sealed road in Australia.

30. Likes Mokkybear liked this post

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    You can search YouTube quickly with "BMW F800GT Mike Cummings" or the Cabramurra link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfV2Tbcxeo
    I know exactly where you are in this video Mike. Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Alyn
    11-11-20
    Ridden that a few times but you were blessed with weather and bugger all traffic. IF you are looking far enough ahead then riding that close to the centre line is not a problem. As an instructor I find many riders turn into right hand bends too early and so come too close to the centre line. This can be an issue is a series of ESS bends. My comments obviously apply to this of us who ride on the left (correct) side of the road. As you approach a right hand bend stay far left but look forward until you can see the exit of the bend, then peel off while maintaining forward vision. You will be smoother and faster. Excellent video and sound.

33. Likes padaek, mikecummin liked this post

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Agreed Alyn re lines and especially right handers. I have worked hard to get some old skills back with a number of track days (HART, Bernie Hatton etc) and apply them, especially when pushing a bit. It is a wonderful sensation and the F800GT is easily placed just where you want it.

When I ride down south each year ( I do lovely long days in the saddle through our iconic wonderful countryside) I do change my position when well out in the country and on quiet roads. My biggest fear is not me misjudging a corner (I ride quite conservatively), but the wildlife on the side of the roads. This last few years with the drought I think have been making the problem worse with the number of dead roos by the roadside as testament to the problem (and even when you can't see them you can smell them). I have had two come out at the last moment and each time have been glad I was in a position where I had options either side of the road, which tend to be lost a bit when sweeping from out wide into a bend.

I have a suspicion that some of the fatal "single vehicle" crashes affecting bikers are not always due to an error in judgement, but some poor soul trying to avoid an animal that has darted out at the very last moment. It is almost impossible to pick these critters lurking in the bush immediately to the side of the road in many of the videos I have posted. I have four roo whistles on my F800GT (they look like gattling guns!!) and although as the science says they might be placebo, I have seen roos jump away from me thankfully, not the other way. Oh, and I am always the last guy to leave in the morning and usually in having a beer by about 4:30-5 pm to avoid the known danger times of the day.

As I always say at the end of my posts - Ride to Survive Old Man - And to everyone else too - safe riding and ride to conditions! OK off to work now - Cheers

35. Likes IanA, padaek liked this post