F800GS Odometer not working - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

11-14-19
    Hi guys, anyone know what is wrong if the abs light is always on and the odometer/speedometer is not working? The mileage remaining unchanged.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    My understanding is that one of the ABS sensors (I think it's the rear) also acts as a speedometer sensor. If that's the case I would suspect faulty rear ABS sensor or very dirty ABS ring. I'm sure those with practical experience will be either able to confirm or tell me I got it wrong.

4. Likesnajeeb liked this post

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    21 Hours Ago
    MGD is on to something. Start by inspecting and cleaning the sensor and ring. You may find dirt or you may find damage, or it could be a bad sensor. If you are handy with a multimeter you could determine if that is the problem. If you have access to a code reader (MotoScan or GS911) it will reveal a code in all likelihood.

Hey MGD, I recently learned that my Great, Great Grandfather was born in Lancashire. He was born in 1870, so I doubt you knew him.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Hey MGD, I recently learned that my Great, Great Grandfather was born in Lancashire. He was born in 1870, so I doubt you knew him.
    Then You Sir are blessed. For Lancashire blood is like vampire blood it never really gets diluted. If you've ever found yourself craving the taste of a Black Pudding, the company of a Whippet or for some inexplicable reason a desire to race pigeons it's because deep down there is a bit of you that will always remain Lancastrian, where the moors are red and skies are grey.

8. Likesnotacop, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post

Given the average age of a BMW owner, don't be so sure. LOL
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

10. Likesnotacop liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by MGD109 View Post
    My understanding is that one of the ABS sensors (I think it's the rear) also acts as a speedometer sensor. If that's the case I would suspect faulty rear ABS sensor or very dirty ABS ring. I'm sure those with practical experience will be either able to confirm or tell me I got it wrong.
    That is correct. The rear sensor creates data for the speedometer.

I bought a used one to replace m my rear sensor after I found the leading end (the bit closest to the ABS ring on the rim) had been damaged. Not a complicated undertaking but small, dexterous hands are a bonus as the wire winds its way through tight areas of the frame.

Real Name
    Jack
    06-30-19
    Hi Najeeb, I would concur with the sensor being the issue. I doubt that it would have anything to do with the disc. The ABS sensors are magnetic sensors that generate a small magnetic field, this field changes as the slots and 'spokes' on the ABS ring pass and it is these changes that are detected by the sensor and are the ABS pulses the computer is looking for. Hence, you can have the ABS ring completely packed with mud and it will make no difference to the operation of the ABS or speedo (iron filings in the holes may make the ABS disc appear as a solid disc and hence generate no pulses - but if they're full of iron filings, you've probably got bigger problems than just an ABS/speedo fault!). An important point to note is that when removing wheels, you need to remove the sensor first as it will likely be damaged by parts of the wheel hitting it as the wheel is removed.

Cheers, Jack

11-14-19
    Thanks guys; Range Rover, Runmyownlife, MGD109, AKBeemer. Is there any possibility I have to change the whole set if it still doesn't work? Wonder if there is used part that I can purchased and of course the cost.

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by najeeb View Post
    Thanks guys; Range Rover, Runmyownlife, MGD109, AKBeemer. Is there any possibility I have to change the whole set if it still doesn't work? Wonder if there is used part that I can purchased and of course the cost.
    Its unlikely that it is anything but a sensor. On one F800 I worked on for a friend, the issue was related to a badly mounted sensor ring (the ring that mounts on the wheel) after a rebuild rather than the ABS sensor itself. If you are confident there isn't a wheel mounting issue or nothing on the ABS ring has been touched, the sensor is a very high probability.

You might be able to find a used sensor on eBay for between $50-100 typically. A new one is likely ~$200.
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, Graphite F800ST, Silver F650GS 

Real Name
    Andrew
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    A visual inspection will take just a few minutes and one tool. The sensor is very accessible, as is the ABS ring. In my case, when I removed the one bolt holding the sensor in place, I could see that the tip of the sensor had been damaged.

The sensor is nothing more than a magnetic field and a wire. I paid ~35.00 for a "used" one. Since it's not subject to wear, "used" is relative.

11-14-19
    I read somewhere, which is same with the problem I am facing. The ABS light on, and when he replaced the front wheel abs sensor, the ABS light is still there, and he needs to check the whole system. If this is the case, what is the part that I can consider buying if I want to replace or change?

06-03-19
    Hey Gang, I'm also experiencing the same speedo unit issue with a 2011 F800GS I purchased. Speedo flips up and down with startup, but neither the speedo works when the bike starts rolling nor the odometer is racking up km's. In my case, the ABS does work in the rear, but I swapped the sensor out just to be sure that wasn't the problem lies. Swapping in a new rear ABS sensor did not change anything - Speedo/Odo still not reading/changing and the rear ABS still works. Any thoughts about where to go to next to trouble shoot the issue? Also, what about a system reset - would that help, and if so, how do you do it?
    Cheers, Jeff
    Last edited by czycat; 05-29-19 at 04:19 PM.

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Wow, blessed with a perennially low mileage bike. The value will stay up!
    On my 01 1100RT the ABS bits would get dirty and need a cleaning and occasional adjustment to make the ABS system happy.
    I surprised that BMW has a really flaky speedo/abs sensor. Seems the safety mavens would be all over that. Dealer are not supposed to mess with the mileage on the speedo. Amazing that a pattern of owner experienced problems exists.

2 Weeks Ago
    Hi folks, I'm experiencing the exact same problem with a 2010 F800GS , i'm supposing that there is a communication issue between the ABS modulator and the mother board. Did someone find out a way to fix the problem ? Or any clue on how to fix it ? I'm thinking of changing the abs modulator but it's a 2000 €...

Cheers from France,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by czycat View Post
    Hey Gang, I'm also experiencing the same speedo unit issue with a 2011 F800GS I purchased. Speedo flips up and down with startup, but neither the speedo works when the bike starts rolling nor the odometer is racking up km's. In my case, the ABS does work in the rear, but I swapped the sensor out just to be sure that wasn't the problem lies. Swapping in a new rear ABS sensor did not change anything - Speedo/Odo still not reading/changing and the rear ABS still works. Any thoughts about where to go to next to trouble shoot the issue? Also, what about a system reset - would that help, and if so, how do you do it?
    Cheers, Jeff

Real Name
    Andrew
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Have you investigated the rear ABS sensor for damage, a poor connection or perhaps swapping with a new (or used) one?

The rear ABS sensor provides data for speedometer.

Real Name
    Guenther
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    Connect a GS911 or MotoScan and check for any codes. Either Canbus scanner can connect to the ABS-module (one of the computers on the Canbus) to check for errors/warnings.

Btw. the ABS-module reads the sensors and sends speed updates over the Canbus to the instrument module.

/Guenther

2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks Runmyownlife, yes the rear ABS sensor doesn't seem to be responsible for the failure, I got it replaced but it didn't change anything.
    guenner, thanks for the advice, do you have any preferences between GS911 or MotoScan ? I understand MotoScan is for smartphones whereas GS911 works on both PCs and smartphones, also MotoScan looks a lot cheaper. Which one should I get ?

Simon

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    MotoScan is a cheap option if you already have an Android device that you can use, but you will need to add the cost of cable and ODB adapter to the licence price.

I'm personally very happy with the MotoScan app, It does everything I've need it to do (service reset, fault code reading), customization (24/12 hour clock choice), things I want it to do but not needed yet (ABS brake bleed) as well as a multitude of functions (coding) that may be of use to others but I have no idea what they are. The one app can be used for all modern BMWs (with the correct cable) there is no limit on the number of bikes you can use with the app (no registering the VIN number and limiting the amount of bikes that can be registered) and if you change smart phones you can download it to your no device without having to buy a new licence. Despite being German langue based support is fast and efficient in English.

It has two drawbacks that I can see. Without an internet connection you only have the basic licence despite what you may have paid for. (it does some form of online check to confirm you licence) I can see this being an issue to the adventure rider that may require diagnostics in a remote location. Cheap ODB adapters are know to be problematic. I opted to simply buy the ODB adapter marketed for use with the app but if you already have an ODB adapter for another vehicle you can test is free of charge with the MotoScan "Lite" version.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Guenther
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    MGD109, I just tested with an old phone which has no network connection and with WiFi off. The first time I used MotoScan it ran in Light mode because I could not connect to the www.wsgsoft.de server to verify my license.

Turned WiFi on before I tested the 2nd time. During startup of MotoScan I could connect to the website and it verified and enabled my Professional license.

Then I rebooted the phone. With WiFi off and NO Internet connection - checked with browser - I started MotoScan and it told me in the app's banner that I was in Professional mode.

And yes, me too had to buy one of their recommended OBD-to-Bluetooth adapters to have all functions work in MotoScan.

/Guenther

25. LikesMGD109 liked this post

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by guenner View Post
    .......Then I rebooted the phone. With WiFi off and NO Internet connection - checked with browser - I started MotoScan and it told me in the app's banner that I was in Professional mode.......
    Very interesting Guenther.

So in the past I've started the application whilst in my garage and only been able to get the Lite version (no wifi in the garage and phone by default has data off). Had to go into the house and restart the app. I'd read on an Adventure forum that MotoScan required internet for verification so that seemed to make sense. A couple of months ago I had a problem that no matter my internet connection I only had the Lite version. A few email exchanges between myself and MotoScan lead to a speedy resolution. I have two google accounts, following an update the MotoScan app checked the google account that did not buy the MotoScan licence as such it would not upgrade me. Out of interest I've just started the app with no wifi and data off and like yourself it has opened with the full Ultimate version??? So whether MotoScan have made a change or not I don't know either way I'm still very happy with it.
    Last edited by MGD109; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:07 AM.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride