BMW F800 Forum banner

F800GS Odometer not working

20K views 54 replies 21 participants last post by  jrwooden 
#1 ·
Hi guys, anyone know what is wrong if the abs light is always on and the odometer/speedometer is not working? The mileage remaining unchanged.

#2 ·
My understanding is that one of the ABS sensors (I think it's the rear) also acts as a speedometer sensor. If that's the case I would suspect faulty rear ABS sensor or very dirty ABS ring. I'm sure those with practical experience will be either able to confirm or tell me I got it wrong.

Reactions: najeeb
#6 ·
That is correct. The rear sensor creates data for the speedometer.

I bought a used one to replace m my rear sensor after I found the leading end (the bit closest to the ABS ring on the rim) had been damaged. Not a complicated undertaking but small, dexterous hands are a bonus as the wire winds its way through tight areas of the frame.

#3 ·
MGD is on to something. Start by inspecting and cleaning the sensor and ring. You may find dirt or you may find damage, or it could be a bad sensor. If you are handy with a multimeter you could determine if that is the problem. If you have access to a code reader (MotoScan or GS911) it will reveal a code in all likelihood.

Hey MGD, I recently learned that my Great, Great Grandfather was born in Lancashire. He was born in 1870, so I doubt you knew him. [:D]

#4 ·
Hey MGD, I recently learned that my Great, Great Grandfather was born in Lancashire. He was born in 1870, so I doubt you knew him. [:D]
Then You Sir are blessed. For Lancashire blood is like vampire blood it never really gets diluted. If you've ever found yourself craving the taste of a Black Pudding, the company of a Whippet or for some inexplicable reason a desire to race pigeons it's because deep down there is a bit of you that will always remain Lancastrian, where the moors are red and skies are grey.

Reactions: IanA and notacop
#7 ·
Hi Najeeb, I would concur with the sensor being the issue. I doubt that it would have anything to do with the disc. The ABS sensors are magnetic sensors that generate a small magnetic field, this field changes as the slots and 'spokes' on the ABS ring pass and it is these changes that are detected by the sensor and are the ABS pulses the computer is looking for. Hence, you can have the ABS ring completely packed with mud and it will make no difference to the operation of the ABS or speedo (iron filings in the holes may make the ABS disc appear as a solid disc and hence generate no pulses - but if they're full of iron filings, you've probably got bigger problems than just an ABS/speedo fault!). An important point to note is that when removing wheels, you need to remove the sensor first as it will likely be damaged by parts of the wheel hitting it as the wheel is removed.

Cheers, Jack

#9 ·
Its unlikely that it is anything but a sensor. On one F800 I worked on for a friend, the issue was related to a badly mounted sensor ring (the ring that mounts on the wheel) after a rebuild rather than the ABS sensor itself. If you are confident there isn't a wheel mounting issue or nothing on the ABS ring has been touched, the sensor is a very high probability.

You might be able to find a used sensor on eBay for between $50-100 typically. A new one is likely ~$200.

#10 ·
A visual inspection will take just a few minutes and one tool. The sensor is very accessible, as is the ABS ring. In my case, when I removed the one bolt holding the sensor in place, I could see that the tip of the sensor had been damaged.

The sensor is nothing more than a magnetic field and a wire. I paid ~35.00 for a "used" one. Since it's not subject to wear, "used" is relative.

#11 ·
I read somewhere, which is same with the problem I am facing. The ABS light on, and when he replaced the front wheel abs sensor, the ABS light is still there, and he needs to check the whole system. If this is the case, what is the part that I can consider buying if I want to replace or change?

#12 · (Edited)
Hey Gang, I'm also experiencing the same speedo unit issue with a 2011 F800GS I purchased. Speedo flips up and down with startup, but neither the speedo works when the bike starts rolling nor the odometer is racking up km's. In my case, the ABS does work in the rear, but I swapped the sensor out just to be sure that wasn't the problem lies. Swapping in a new rear ABS sensor did not change anything - Speedo/Odo still not reading/changing and the rear ABS still works. Any thoughts about where to go to next to trouble shoot the issue? Also, what about a system reset - would that help, and if so, how do you do it?
Cheers, Jeff

#14 ·
F800 GS Odometer not working + abs light on

Hi folks, I'm experiencing the exact same problem with a 2010 F800GS , i'm supposing that there is a communication issue between the ABS modulator and the mother board. Did someone find out a way to fix the problem ? Or any clue on how to fix it ? I'm thinking of changing the abs modulator but it's a 2000 €...

Cheers from France,
Simon

#13 ·
Wow, blessed with a perennially low mileage bike. The value will stay up!
On my 01 1100RT the ABS bits would get dirty and need a cleaning and occasional adjustment to make the ABS system happy.
I surprised that BMW has a really flaky speedo/abs sensor. Seems the safety mavens would be all over that. Dealer are not supposed to mess with the mileage on the speedo. Amazing that a pattern of owner experienced problems exists.

#16 ·
Connect a GS911 or MotoScan and check for any codes. Either Canbus scanner can connect to the ABS-module (one of the computers on the Canbus) to check for errors/warnings.

Btw. the ABS-module reads the sensors and sends speed updates over the Canbus to the instrument module.

/Guenther

#17 ·
Thanks Runmyownlife, yes the rear ABS sensor doesn't seem to be responsible for the failure, I got it replaced but it didn't change anything.
guenner, thanks for the advice, do you have any preferences between GS911 or MotoScan ? I understand MotoScan is for smartphones whereas GS911 works on both PCs and smartphones, also MotoScan looks a lot cheaper. Which one should I get ?

Simon

#21 ·
F800GS Odometer not working in France

Simon,

Coincidentally, I am also in France - based in Chamonix. Now that we have time on our hands with the lock-down, I'd like to make some headway on the problem. Any solutions discovered on your end? Also, did you have any luck testing the bike ECU with the MotoScan product? I replaced the rear sensor last summer without luck (not surprised because the rear ABS functions as it should). I'm still guessing the ABS Modulator is the culprit, but it would be great to verify before getting into replacing it - not just for the cost, but it sounds like a bit of work uncovering it. Finally, any chance you know the correct part number for the ABS Modulator? I'm getting some different numbers searching for it online, and am pretty sure our bikes should have the same unit.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Hi folks, I'm experiencing the exact same problem with a 2010 F800GS , i'm supposing that there is a communication issue between the ABS modulator and the mother board. Did someone find out a way to fix the problem ? Or any clue on how to fix it ? I'm thinking of changing the abs modulator but it's a 2000 €...

Thanks Runmyownlife, yes the rear ABS sensor doesn't seem to be responsible for the failure, I got it replaced but it didn't change anything.
guenner, thanks for the advice, do you have any preferences between GS911 or MotoScan ? I understand MotoScan is for smartphones whereas GS911 works on both PCs and smartphones, also MotoScan looks a lot cheaper. Which one should I get ?

Simon

#18 ·
MotoScan is a cheap option if you already have an Android device that you can use, but you will need to add the cost of cable and ODB adapter to the licence price.

I'm personally very happy with the MotoScan app, It does everything I've need it to do (service reset, fault code reading), customization (24/12 hour clock choice), things I want it to do but not needed yet (ABS brake bleed) as well as a multitude of functions (coding) that may be of use to others but I have no idea what they are. The one app can be used for all modern BMWs (with the correct cable) there is no limit on the number of bikes you can use with the app (no registering the VIN number and limiting the amount of bikes that can be registered) and if you change smart phones you can download it to your no device without having to buy a new licence. Despite being German langue based support is fast and efficient in English.

It has two drawbacks that I can see. Without an internet connection you only have the basic licence despite what you may have paid for. (it does some form of online check to confirm you licence) I can see this being an issue to the adventure rider that may require diagnostics in a remote location. Cheap ODB adapters are know to be problematic. I opted to simply buy the ODB adapter marketed for use with the app but if you already have an ODB adapter for another vehicle you can test is free of charge with the MotoScan "Lite" version.

#19 ·
MGD109, I just tested with an old phone which has no network connection and with WiFi off. The first time I used MotoScan it ran in Light mode because I could not connect to the www.wsgsoft.de server to verify my license.

Turned WiFi on before I tested the 2nd time. During startup of MotoScan I could connect to the website and it verified and enabled my Professional license.

Then I rebooted the phone. With WiFi off and NO Internet connection - checked with browser - I started MotoScan and it told me in the app's banner that I was in Professional mode.

And yes, me too had to buy one of their recommended OBD-to-Bluetooth adapters to have all functions work in MotoScan.

/Guenther

#20 · (Edited)
.......Then I rebooted the phone. With WiFi off and NO Internet connection - checked with browser - I started MotoScan and it told me in the app's banner that I was in Professional mode.......
Very interesting Guenther.

So in the past I've started the application whilst in my garage and only been able to get the Lite version (no wifi in the garage and phone by default has data off). Had to go into the house and restart the app. I'd read on an Adventure forum that MotoScan required internet for verification so that seemed to make sense. A couple of months ago I had a problem that no matter my internet connection I only had the Lite version. A few email exchanges between myself and MotoScan lead to a speedy resolution. I have two google accounts, following an update the MotoScan app checked the google account that did not buy the MotoScan licence as such it would not upgrade me. Out of interest I've just started the app with no wifi and data off and like yourself it has opened with the full Ultimate version??? So whether MotoScan have made a change or not I don't know either way I'm still very happy with it.

#22 ·
Simon & Jeff, what exactly is the symptom you see? Odometer not advancing and/or speedometer not working?

If the ABS indicator is not on it could be a problem in the instrument cluster. Maybe there is a fault code for the instrument cluster.

If the ABS indicator is on you need to look for a fault code. Maybe a software reset of the ABS unit might work which can only be done by the dealer.

A Canbus/OBD scanner is an essential diagnostic tool. For example if your speedo dial is not working you can run a self test on the instrument cluster which turns on all the indicators and moves the dial a full swing. If the dial doesn't move then the problem is in the instrument cluster. If the dial moves then the instrument cluster does not get the data over the Canbus from the ABS or MCU unit.

/Guenther

#25 ·
Hi Guenther & rcb78,

Thanks for chiming in with some ideas. Guenther, I think you are right. In my case the speedo swings on booting up (ignition turned on) as usual. The speedo is analog, and was working intermittently when I bought the bike (I was hoping that it was a sensor failure and easy to fix). The odometer is digital, and the reading does not change from the current number (about 78,000 km). Also worth noting that upon start-up, the red (!) light on the top left of the dash comes on, and does not go off. I double checked the ABS braking yesterday, it operates as normal, both front and back.

Upon research through the forums, I keep seeing fingers pointing to the ABS Module, which apparently processes the information from the sensors and sends it to the speedo/odo. Rather than replace parts, I would prefer to troubleshoot the problem if possible. It looks like the next step is to get the bike to a shop with a diagnostic tool and see what the codes say, which is a problem right now, as all the shops are closed here in France and likely will be for several more weeks.

That said, with this specific problem (speedometer not giving speed/odometer not adding kms), I have read about a number of different failures and solutions:

1) Rear sensor damage/failure (where the speed/distance information is gathered from). Sometimes this attributed to taking the wheel off before removing abs sensor and also a worn wheel bearing causing play in the wheel, and therefore touching the plate to sensor while moving. Solution - replace rear sensor (did that anyway, no change).

2) Inoperative dashboard; a less common problem and less information found on symptoms, but this should show in the codes. Also, perhaps the speedo wouldn't swing when turning on ignition? Solution - replace dash unit.

3) ABS Module not working correctly. One common symptom includes the speedo/odo starting to work intermittently, and finally quitting. I've found three separate reports of the module failure in this forum so far, one on another, not to include possibly myself and CyPhar. It seems in each case, Speedo/odo stop working, and ABS light is on. Is this the same for you, CyPhar? Solution, replace ABS Module.

Here is a discussion from one case that had the most info, also on F800Riders.org:

850dunstall:
"i should add that the speedo, and odo and trip odos all quit at the same time. it started working again on my trip home and then quit again. i cleaned the rear pickup it had some fine metallic particles on it but this hasn't solved it, still searching."

"So the dealer finally got their test system working, and all the sensors check out good. They claim the PSI modulator is kapoot, (34517691927) not sure what that has to do with the speedo or odometer. any suggestions... i haven't go that kind of loose change to throw. oh and they wan $2200. for a replacement and ten weeks wait"

"I found one (ABS Modulator) on ebay, had the dealer install it today, and its now working properly again."

Thanks for the input - happy to hear more if you have some!
Cheers, Jeff

#23 ·
If your ABS is working, then it's not an ABS issue. Both front and rear sensors have to work properly for the ABS light to go out and the system to work properly. I suppose you could test the front on a wet road if you want to be sure (it's not as scary as it sounds). Keep in mind that the ABS system is weird at low speed so make sure to test at above 15mph/25kph.
If ABS works properly and you still don't have speed/odo working, then you most likely have a problem with the Kombi unit and be prepared to be sticker shocked. The BMSK also tracks speed and mileage, bear with me here, so if you datalog a ride with a GS911 (I don't know if Motoscan will do this) you can check your ride data after the fact to see if the system is accurately recording those values. If it is, then you pretty much know the problem is not the BMSK and it occurs in or on the way to the Kombi. At that point there's not much you can do on your own except check wires for continuity between the two modules. If they trace out ok, then you're officially out of the DIY realm. The Kombi has to be replaced by a dealer with a new unit and then coded into the bike for it to work.

#24 ·
With the ABS option the wheel sensors are only connected to the ABS unit which sends speed and miles out via the Canbus to the instrument cluster and the MCU or ECU (BMSK - Electronic (motor) Control Unit from Bosch).

Does this bike have the digital display option for the instrument cluster?

I'm experiencing the exact same problem
Simon & czycat: Whose ABS indicator is off? Whose odometer/speed is off (blank? all zeroes? doesn't increase?)

/Guenther

#26 ·
the red (!) light on the top left of the dash comes on
Isn't that the ABS failure light on your year/model? If so then you need to read out the status of the ABS control unit (aka computer) with a GS911 or Motoscan tool. Anything else is speculating!

Did you replace the rear sensor and it still didn't work? Was it a used sensor which someone else might have had a problem with? [lol]

/Guenther

#27 ·
It's a little embarrassing as I bought a secondhand sensor, only to misplace it in the cave. Then finally purchased a new one & installed it, with no change resulting. Which was to be expected anyway, since the rear ABS braking functioned as normal beforehand. Clearly my troubleshooting skills can be refined.
But on that note, I have two functional used rear ABS sensors to pass on now!

#28 ·
Clearly my troubleshooting skills can be refined.
It starts with a good diagnostic tool! For today's motorcycles to diagnose an electrical problem you need a scanner to readout codes of the various computer systems on your bike. Even checking for a problem with a speed sensor is - after all - reported as an electrical problem.

If you have an Android smart phone then get the Motoscan App with the Professional license (~$25) and an Bluetooth to OBD-Adapter (~$40). For your bike you may need an adapter from D-shape to round OBD-connector. Check out www.motoscan.com.

/Guenther

#29 ·
Hi everybody,

When i bought my 2007 ST, the speedometer was working, but the odometer and trip details like: avg consumption, miles to empty, etc didnt work.
Alaso the ABS light was on.
It appears that the speedometer is connected to the front ABS sensor and the odometer to the rear sensor.

After hooking up a diagnostic tool in combination with MotoScan, i noticed that the rearwheel sensorwas faulty, and it didn't register wheel movement.
So i replaced it with a used part for 30 euros, and the problem was solved.

I hope this helps.

#30 ·
Hi everybody,

When i bought my 2007 ST, the speedometer was working, but the odometer and trip details like: avg consumption, miles to empty, etc didnt work.
Alaso the ABS light was on.
It appears that the speedometer is connected to the front ABS sensor and the odometer to the rear sensor

After hooking up a diagnostic tool in combination with MotoScan, i noticed that the rearwheel sensorwas faulty, and it didn't register wheel movement.
So i replaced it with a used part for 30 euros, and the problem was solved.

I hope this helps.
Glad you got it sorted.
If you don't mind me asking, what OBD2 Bluetooth unit are you using as the piece of crap I bought doesn't work. I often see OBDLINK LX mentioned but ours pricey here in Ireland

#32 ·
#33 ·