BMW F800 Forum banner

Rear brake light adjustment

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  F800Rider 
#1 ·
Its my understanding that there is not a rear pedal adjustment for the F700GS. Question is has anyone been successful in backing off the sensitivity of the brake light activation,,. I'm finding I have to ride with my foot off the pedal or I'm constantly activating the brake light and not the necessarily the brakes,,.

#3 ·
An adjustment on the brake peddle like on most bikes would help with the awkward angle however that nots possible hence my question,,,
, has anyone been successful in backing off the sensitivity of the brake light activation,,."
Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem, just looking for a solution,,.

#5 ·
What do they do for 700gs lowering pegs with the brake peddle
A good question. Maybe you contact one of the companies who sell the lowering pegs and ask them?

I have the same problem. If I keep my foot above the brake pedal I would always cause some braking and the brake light would come on. So, I keep my foot to the right of the pedal and move it over the pedal when I need to brake. Never thought about it!

I use the rubber on the foot pegs which lifts my foot a bit. I assume that without the rubber my movement of the left foot would have to change.

The brake light switch which sits at the rear end of the brake lever only needs a tiny distance OUT to CLOSE the switch. I can't see how to modify this.

/Guenther

#7 ·
Not really!

The brake lever by design has only one position: pedal up so the rear of the lever is pushed against a metal stop.
That is the position where the tip of the brake switch is pushed in just enough for the brake light to be off.

The adjustment is there to make sure that in the no brake position the plunger of the brake cylinder is far enough out so that the brake pads are not pushed in.

If you shorten that adjuster to bring the brake pedal down it won't touch the brake light switch anymore and your brake light is on all the time.

/Guenther

#9 ·
Ya this is correct, this adjustment is very sensitive and can easily end up with the rear locking up after applying preasure once system has warmed up,,. First hand knowledge on the lock up, if you mess with this make sure you pack your wrenches,,. Any other bikes ive owned have 1/4 to 1/2 inch of free play before braking and brake light become engaged, covering the break alows for quicker reaction time,.

Seriously looking for an after market solution to this problem as I would like to add lowering pegs to this setup,obviously "cant be done" with this setup!!

Has anyone every added lowering pegs to an F700,,!!
Not really!

The brake lever by design has only one position: pedal up so the rear of the lever is pushed against a metal stop.
That is the position where the tip of the brake switch is pushed in just enough for the brake light to be off.

The adjustment is there to make sure that in the no brake position the plunger of the brake cylinder is far enough out so that the brake pads are not pushed in.

If you shorten that adjuster to bring the brake pedal down it won't touch the brake light switch anymore and your brake light is on all the time.

/Guenther