BMW F800 Forum banner

Non honky horn

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  gnarlybarker 
#1 ·
Anyone had their horn stop working? Mines just stopped again, last time I pulled the handle bar switch apart and wd40'd it and after the wd dried it worked again... not this time. Suspect its the dodgy handlebar switch issue but would welcome any ideas .

#2 ·
I've never had a problem with my horn switch, but I've always changed over to an air horn immediately after buying a bike. For me the lead from the switch goes to a relay. I like to be heard!

If the symptoms/history are as you describe, it could very well be the switch. I would never have used wd-40 because after an initial cleaning effect, the residual oil based residue would speed "gunk" accumulation. If I were you, I'd take it apart and clean it with a toothbrush and some electrical connection cleaner. That will clean "gunk", oil, and corrosion, leading to better contact. I've never been in there, but if you have access to the actual contacts, hit them with some fine sandpaper. While you're in there, test it with a multimeter to make sure it works before putting it back together. Or, maybe it's so small, you just replace the internal switch.

Sorry, I'm not much help, just thinking out loud (and typing it). Get it fixed, I find a horn to be very important and use it often. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Taipan
#4 ·
I've never had a problem with my horn switch, but I've always changed over to an air horn immediately after buying a bike. For me the lead from the switch goes to a relay. I like to be heard!
In agreement over loud horn but have waited to long to sort something out with mine. Just wondering if you removed/disconcerted the original horn when adding the relay and if so did it throw up any warnings on the dash due to current draw from the relay not being the same as current draw from the horn?

#5 ·
I did remove the original, but I don't think (I could be wrong) that circuit will give you an error. At least I've never gotten one, but then again, I've not tried to use the horn while one wasn't hooked up. I guess my setup still sends the same amount of power from the switch, it just activates the relay instead of the horn.

I use the Stebel Nautilus. It's awesome. I used instructions from this forum to make a bracket that mounts to the starter bolts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Where abouts did you buy it and how much was it as Im struggling to locate one in Oz
I recently installed a loud Denali horn after the original stopped working. These are essential mods as I barely ever have a ride without needing to pass on my feelings about some other drivers blindness. I found it wasnt working yesterday when I came round a corner and some guys is backing 50m up the road and I just had to get out the way when my horn didnt work
As the switch block is actually a little curved printed circuit board with all the switches sealed on it you cant really clean the contacts with electrical cleaner.

#9 ·
Horn diagnostics

After purchasing a rather expensive port scanner I found I could finally prove the logic that the switch was faulty as I could talk to the onboard controller which could talk to the horn and beep it. It was reinforced by the left heated hand grip being showing a fault code and its off the same switch block.
It would be cheaper to get a bracket cnc'd to mount a new switch than replace the original, I can live without the heaters

Wiring aint as simple as it used to be [:(] but typically much more reliable [:)]

#12 ·
Bit the bullet and bought a new switch cluster for left side which was $AUD 403.00 as using the GSWiFi port scanner I had proved the switch was faulty as I could get the GSWiFi to honk the horn which proves it from the CANBUS unit out to the horn so its the switch thats faulty. Unfortunately there is a fallacy circulating on the forum that a bit of CRC or Contact spray will cure the problem. The switch block for all switch functions on the left bar are sealed and controlled by a single curved printed circuit that wraps around the bar under the switches. To resolve it you have replace the whole switch block. Welcome to the modern world however in its defense the probability of failure is a lot lower but it hurts your pocket if your the unlucky one
Will let you know next week if I can finally provide much needed feed back to LaLaLand drivers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.