Adjustment on front shocks? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Seems that my front shocks just are too stiff. Minor bumps are hard hits. Had fork oil changed and new seals put in, helped a little bit this still seems not right.
    Are there any adjustments that can be made to increase damping ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    2 Hours Ago
    I have been extremely happy with the improvement in front fork action that occurred when I dropped in a set of RICOR Intiminator valves in the forks of my 2009 F650GS about 6 years ago. They were very easy to install and completely transformed the action of the fork. However, I have no idea if they make Intiminator valves for the GT, or if the company is even still in business.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

4. Likesl8_apexer liked this post

12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    I have been extremely happy with the improvement in front fork action that occurred when I dropped in a set of RICOR Intiminator valves in the forks of my 2009 F650GS about 6 years ago. They were very easy to install and completely transformed the action of the fork. However, I have no idea if they make Intiminator valves for the GT, or if the company is even still in business.
    They are definitely still in business, I have used the Intiminator valves in both my last 2 Triumphs and loved the results. Not sure if they make them for the F800 series or not.
    2015 F800GT 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Thanks. They don’t list anything for the GT on their site

Real Name
    Neville Goldsmith
    01-04-20
    I've just fitted "Race Tech" Emulator Gold valves in mine, but their recommended set up ( Blue Springs, 4 hole valve plate and 15w oil ) didn't make them compliant enough for me, so I have now used the softer Silver spring with an additional short lighter spring as well, making the valve opening more progressive, and with 7.5w oil. I also modified the 4 hole valve plate by tapping out the four holes to 4mm and screwing in four "Cheese" headed screws that have 2mm deep heads. This gives a 2mm gap under the valve plate, instead of the holes, for low speed oil flow, while leaving the full surface area of the plate for larger oil flow rates to act on.
    I had done this same set-up in the forks of my Moto Guzzi 750 Breva earlier in the year, but I used YSS valves in that, which are virtually identical. The Race Tech ones come as a kit for the F800GT, but as YSS didn't do ones specifically for my Guzzi, I had to make up an adapter to fit on the top of the damper tube.
    In both cases these valves transform the action of the forks and you can play around with various springs and oil grades until you get the ride quality you want. Nev.

9. LikesRoy Barnes, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Marcus
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by l8_apexer View Post
    Seems that my front shocks just are too stiff. Minor bumps are hard hits. Had fork oil changed and new seals put in, helped a little bit this still seems not right.
    Hi, how much fork oil did you put in each fork? I couldn't find any info regarding the amount of fork oil needed for the GT. is it the same as the ST, 520ml per fork?

Real Name
    Derek
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    I recall that the measurement from the top of tube should be 120 mm without the spring and fully compressed. This way you can make certain that both tubes have the same amount of fluid. There are several threads on here.

Real Name
    Phil
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    If minor bumps are hard hits you need to decrease compression damping, not increase it.
    Regards,
    Phil.