And I saw her standing there... - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry



Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    whojigger's Avatar
    Points: 1,090, Level: 18

    Real Name
    Bruce White
    Location
    Ketchikan and Nenana, AK
    Joined
    Jun 2019
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    16 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    After a ride with my brothers on my 88' R100 up to Fairbanks, I took a few of the brothers to the Outpost in Fairbanks for their Harley parts. I was talking about the trip I took to Norway on a rental 2016 F800GT and how much I loved that bike and... Right there was my new girl. I bought her right then even though I was going back to Ketchikan (I commercial fish) and I wanted her for my road trip bike stored in my heated garage near Fairbanks. Only 100 miles on her and she waits for me to come home in September. Dang, another bike to learn how to maintain. I own a 1960 R50, an 1988 R100, a 2011 Ural Patrol (all boxer engines that I know my way around). Any suggestions on special tools beyond what I have to wrench on the above? Any tips and or warnings on self care?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    WildWilly's Avatar
    Points: 290,814, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Bill
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Online
    2 Hours Ago
    Posts
    23,024 / 15 / 214 / 1480
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome to the forum. No tips on special tools but those in the know will offer advice.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

  4. #3
    Daboo's Avatar
    Points: 52,340, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Chris
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Online
    5 Hours Ago
    Posts
    4,533 / 0 / 9 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    No real special tools required. All you'll need for many miles is to change the oil filter and oil.

    Welcome from Puget Sound by the way. Maybe I'll get up your way some day and you can show me around???

    Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

    John 14:6 

  5. Likesnotacop liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    whojigger's Avatar
    Points: 1,090, Level: 18

    Real Name
    Bruce White
    Location
    Ketchikan and Nenana, AK
    Joined
    Jun 2019
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    16 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    No real special tools required. All you'll need for many miles is to change the oil filter and oil.

    Welcome from Puget Sound by the way. Maybe I'll get up your way some day and you can show me around???

    Chris
    I commercial fish down in Ketchikan where I have a 1960 R50 and 27 miles of road on our island in the summer from mid May to the first week in September. Right now I'm keeping Leibchen in Nenana (near Fairbanks) and ride her during the edge seasons. You would be welcome of course when I'm back up there.

  8. #5
    WildWilly's Avatar
    Points: 290,814, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Bill
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Online
    2 Hours Ago
    Posts
    23,024 / 15 / 214 / 1480
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I was going to ask if she was just seventeen, but I changed my mind . . . . .
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

  9. #6
    Sundog52's Avatar
    Points: 6,193, Level: 54

    Real Name
    Geoff
    Location
    Birmingham in Alabama
    Joined
    Jul 2016
    Online
    1 Week Ago
    Posts
    386 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    It depends....if you want to maintain brakes, a special tool (19mm hex bit) is required to remove the front wheel (axle). If you want to bleed the brake fluid I suggest purchasing Speed Bleeders. Lastly, most fasteners are Torx, so the tools (metric sockets) used on your older bikes won't work.

    To work on the bike you need the following:

    Torx
    T10 left control housing
    T20 throttle assembly
    T25 fairings, control, body work
    T30 muffler mount, signals, motor chassis, rotor
    T40 triple clamp, brake pivot, rear rotor, brake line
    T45 body, exhaust mount, fork axle pinch bolts, controls
    T50 Bar Ends


    Torx socket
    E8 gear shift lever
    E10 handlebar clamps, eccentric clamp and adjuster
    E12 Front Caliper brakes


    Wrench
    13mm Chain tension sprocket
    17mm Front Axle
    22mm Rear axle


    Hex
    10mm hex bit for the oil drain plug
    19mm hex bit for the front axle
    22mm hex bit for the rear axle


    Did she come with a factory tool kit?

    BTW: You may want to invest in a service manual, Haynes publication 4872.
    Sundog 

  10. LikesIanA, notacop liked this post
  11. #7
    Points: 3,320, Level: 37

    Real Name
    Wayne
    Location
    South Jersey
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Online
    1 Week Ago
    Posts
    13 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog52 View Post
    It depends....if you want to maintain brakes, a special tool (19mm hex bit) is required to remove the front wheel (axle). If you want to bleed the brake fluid I suggest purchasing Speed Bleeders. Lastly, most fasteners are Torx, so the tools (metric sockets) used on your older bikes won't work.

    To work on the bike you need the following:

    Torx
    T10 left control housing
    T20 throttle assembly
    T25 fairings, control, body work
    T30 muffler mount, signals, motor chassis, rotor
    T40 triple clamp, brake pivot, rear rotor, brake line
    T45 body, exhaust mount, fork axle pinch bolts, controls
    T50 Bar Ends


    Torx socket
    E8 gear shift lever
    E10 handlebar clamps, eccentric clamp and adjuster
    E12 Front Caliper brakes


    Wrench
    13mm Chain tension sprocket
    17mm Front Axle
    22mm Rear axle


    Hex
    10mm hex bit for the oil drain plug
    19mm hex bit for the front axle
    22mm hex bit for the rear axle


    Did she come with a factory tool kit?

    BTW: You may want to invest in a service manual, Haynes publication 4872.
    The 850s are different than the 800s the rear axle nut is 34mm NOT 22mm
    The Oil Drain is a # 50 or 55 torx

    All of the info you posted is for the 800.

  12. ThanksDaboo thanked for this post
  13. #8
    whojigger's Avatar
    Points: 1,090, Level: 18

    Real Name
    Bruce White
    Location
    Ketchikan and Nenana, AK
    Joined
    Jun 2019
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    16 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
    The 850s are different than the 800s the rear axle nut is 34mm NOT 22mm
    The Oil Drain is a # 50 or 55 torx

    All of the info you posted is for the 800.
    Thanks!! I'm picking up a Haynes manual to go along with the shop/repair CD I ordered from the dealer. Sadly, I won't be able to check on the "tool kit" till I get back up North. It wasn't listed in the "factory accessories."

  14. #9
    jeffswitzer30's Avatar
    Points: 583, Level: 11

    Location
    Greenville Michigan
    Joined
    Aug 2019
    Online
    07-15-20
    Posts
    3 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '00 R1200C
    Motorcycle
    '14 R NineT
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS
    Just joined the forum. I've had my 2017 f800gs for two years and I'm looking for info on accessories. I want a taller windscreen.

  15. #10
    Daboo's Avatar
    Points: 52,340, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Chris
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Online
    5 Hours Ago
    Posts
    4,533 / 0 / 9 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Welcome from Puget Sound, Jeff. I'm the second owner of my GT, and the first owner was a member here who did the same thing that you're doing. He didn't say much here, but he kept researching and put the best accessories on the bike based on actual experiences other members had.

    Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

    John 14:6 

  16. #11
    Points: 513, Level: 10

    Location
    Ottawa
    Joined
    Nov 2019
    Online
    5 Days Ago
    Posts
    24 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffswitzer30 View Post
    Just joined the forum. I've had my 2017 f800gs for two years and I'm looking for info on accessories. I want a taller windscreen.
    Look for Madstad. I’d post a picture of mine but for some reason I always get an error message. It is very adjustable and I think looks good. Mine is set at the highest point and I have no wind noise. I am quite happy with it.

    https://madstad.com/products/bmw-f700gs

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •