BMW F800 Forum banner

Got Factory Bags but no Key?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jcarpino 
#1 ·
I just purchased a pair of factory hard bags for my ST. The problem is that the P/O missplaced the key. The bags will open, but I cannot mount them. I tried to remove the locks from the inside, but that is a no go.
Anybody have any suggestions on how to get these bags functional?

Randy

#2 ·
You may try going to the dealer and have the locks set to the bike key. I got a set of bags for my G650GS and the parts guy quickly reset the locks for the bike key. It was a minimal cost, a donation to the donut fund.
That may vary with how well you know the guys at the dealer and how good the guys are. Irv Seavrs has some great people.

#5 ·
I remember there was a key number on the Krauser bag keys. Don't think there are that many variances. I wonder if the dealers have a 'master' set in the shop to work on things.
I was looking at new jeeps years ago and stuck the key to my jeep in a new ignition and it worked, no problem.
I can imagine that lock makers produce a limited number of lock sets for vehicles. Or is each lock unique?

#6 ·
The locksets are "universal" and designed to be matched to the bike's ignition key through an assortment of shims. Once you remove the shims, the locksets are naked and can be rekeyed to work with a different key. Agreed -- you'll need the key to remove the locksets from the bags so they can be rekeyed.

#9 ·
And how did they suggest you remove the old barrels without a key ? New set wouldn't be much use with the old set still in place.

Maybe a local locksmith can pick the existing barrel and you can then swap/remove the tumblers once you have them in your hand.

Ian

Reactions: Cheesy rider
#8 ·
Unfortunately, that's not correct. As an example, I rekeyed the lock tumblers on the factory bags and trunk from my first '07 F800ST so they'd work with the key on my replacement '07 F800ST. It was no sweat but the key from the first bike was required to remove the tumblers from the bags so they could be rekeyed. Once the tumbers are removed, the new key is inserted, the shims and springs are repositioned (or removed) to match the new key, and the whole assembly is reinserted into the bags and clicked in. Now, only the new key will open the tumblers.

It's possible they're simply trying to sell you another set of tumblers. If you can get the old ones out of your bags, you can easily rekey them to fit your key. If you buy a new set of tumblers, there's really no reason to have to use a different key.

#10 ·
I had a similar issue, where I bought the bags online and needed them re-keyed. The dealer will do this for you for a nominal fee. I disassembled the bag myself, you can remove the lock if the bag opens and you take the mechanism apart. It isn't that hard if you're handy. If you're not, the dealer can do it for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.