Aux Light Mounting - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Have a couple of ADVMonster 19 aux light I'm planning on adding. They will be driven with a HEX ezCan. Been looking into how to mount and have not seen a mount I really like. Could mount them on the fork using one of the fender mounting bolts. Would be low and Im a little concerned about the stress on the long mounting bolt going there the light and a spacer then to the fender and screwing into the fork. Another idea was to place a flat aluminum bar across the front just below the nostrils under the headlights. Would fasten it to the bottom of the plastic panel with bolts using small plastic spacers so that the bar would clear the fairings. This would place the aux lights in plane with the headlights and higher up and above the turn indicators - will use HEX ezCan to turn aux light off when turn indicator is flashing. have checked spacing and the flat bar go thru the < notch in the fairing at the very front. Would use either very large fender washers or a piece of flat bar above the plastic piece to spread the over a larger area than just couple of nuts. With the lights mounted above the bar don't think the bar would be very noticeable - would paint it flat black. That is my favorite idea currently. Lastly another option is to mount off of the mirror bases but need extensions and have to fab a plate as well. Someone has done that and I really liked the look.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rob
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hi PhotoAl, I have been toying with auxiliary lighting too. My bike is a 2014 F800R and the engine bars/protectors look to be the logical place to put the lights. My only thought is that they are fairly well back and consequently, when viewed at an angle from one side or the other, when approaching traffic, they will only see one light. I guess it also depends on what you want the lights to do. For instance, do you want them to be daylight running lights, increasing your visibility, or do you want them to increase the lighting of the road in the dark? If you get yours sorted, please post a photo. RobA.

2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I mounted mine under the mirror mounts. Much better IMHO than fork legs, puts the lite up as close to your eyeline as possible.

5. LikesDaboo liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Peter
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    I mounted some Twisted Throttle Denali 2 LEDs under the mirrors on BMW 'Authority model' mirror widener/mounts.

I had other lights on the crash bars and Cyclops LED in the headlight.

They were used for seeing down the road at night, not being seen in the day.

8. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Cheryl Lowry
    7 Hours Ago
    I've had ADVMonster aux lights installed on my forks for 5 years. It was the first thing my husband added. He used a short spacer and a slightly longer bolt than the original. They've been very solid, even through a parking lot drop and some off road adventures.

2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT

Real Name
    Chris
    52 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I would mount them under the mirrors like some of the others did. The link Spike posted above, shows some more pictures.

If you had a low powered light, I'd mount them on the forks for conspicuity. But with a 10 degree spot beam, I'd put them up under the mirrors. I found on my Honda NT700V, that I could use them in traffic since I was aiming out and down with the Model 30, and not just out.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Ken Wright
    02-15-20
    I've got two £15 small LED DRLs mounted under the windscreen mounting screws. Very bright and being so light there is no strain and the brackets can be bent without effort to point them where I want.

6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Soooo, finished replacing the water pump on my scooter and turned my attention back to the lights. Several trips to the store to scavenge for bolts and spacers. Made a bracket from a piece of flat steel (1/8" x 3/4") like my original idea and mounted the lights on it and taped it in place. It was ugly and fiddly and where it went under the Nostrils was too close to the front of the bike and was visible in the center just a bit. So went back to the store and bought bolts and spacers to mount on fork leg. After carefully measuring and estimating bolt length I bought the wrong length!!!! So sitting on a stool looking at the front of the bike I saw the front fairing bolt and wondered about using it. Looking carefully it is not a real strong poingt but not weak either. I can add a brace inside that ties it to the center section. Brace will be aluminum flat stock from first mount idea.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	735.2 KB 
ID:	346085

Real Name
    Rob
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hi PhotoAl, I had looked at a similar positon on my F800R but was wondering if the light might reduce the ability of others seeing the indicators. Any thoughts on that? Rob.

6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Yes, Im going to run them off of a Hex ezCan which will turn the light off when the turn signal is on. So when Im blinking left the left aux light goes off. Really like that as IMO it makes me and my signal more noticeable. I have to wire them individually so with 2 lights, power to my USB outlet (dual) and a brake light I've used up all 4 outputs. Im OK with that as I currently don't have anything additional to add.

So fat very happy with how this is going. I don't like the "bulky u brackets that came with the lights. They are solid and good quality just stick out a bit too far. If I had Time I would make some. Have to have the mount so I have horozontal and vertical adjustment.

Real Name
    Chris
    52 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hi PhotoAl, I had looked at a similar positon on my F800R but was wondering if the light might reduce the ability of others seeing the indicators. Any thoughts on that? Rob.
    Maybe I'm missing something...but does it matter?

If I turn on my left turn indicator and a car is approaching, what do I normally do? The same thing I'd do if I lived in Seattle and didn't know turn signals were installed in cars nowadays. I'd turn only if the approaching car was far enough away to give me space. If I turn on my right turn signal and a car is approaching, again, I'm checking to see if the other driver is slowing down to let me turn. Again, think about it from the reality of the majority of people not using turn signals...and doing just fine.

And from the rear...whatever is going on in the front of the bike makes no difference at all.

I had that "feature" turned on for about a day. I stopped on the left hand side of the road to check my mail after dark. All I needed was a simple turn signal blinking IMHO. Instead, I've got a massive light show for the whole world to see. Lights flashing bright and cars approaching and being blinded. It didn't take long to turn that "feature" off.

But then, I'm a Luddite at heart.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Gerry
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Mounted a set of Denali D2 lights on the fender mounting bolts last year. I find it works well for a smaller light such as these. Up under the mirrors may provide a better angle? I added the DataDim which corresponds brightness with high/low beam and casts a lot of light. During the day really add conspicuity. I have had comments from a number of the guys I ride with regarding being easy to find in the rear views when riding at the back of group.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l 2016 GSX S1000 (Naked & Blue)
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

7 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something...but does it matter?

Chris
    You make a fair point Chris but this is my reason making the corresponding DRL switch off when indicating. I am UK based so drive on the left so for all those based just about everywhere else may need to think in the mirror of my left and right notation. First I suppose we have to decide if a DRL obscures the indicator, if they are of an intensity or position that still makes the indicator totally visible then clearly no need to power off, mine I believe do bleed out the indicator.

In the UK we have something called a "mini roundabout" pictured below:-

In the UK if you approach this (on the left side of the road) and intend to turn right cutting across oncoming traffic unlike just about every other type of junction you have priority over the oncoming traffic you are not supposed to wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic it should stop for you. There is a huge amount of misunderstanding in the UK as to who should do what at a mini roundabout but having a front signal that shows clearly your intention to oncoming traffic is essential.

19. LikesDaboo liked this post

01-22-20
    Anyone interested in buying a Hecezcan to suit F800

6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Mounted the lights using the fairing bolt locations, made a simple brace inside. Also added a Hex ezCan and a pair of brake lights and a dual usb outlet on the handlebar. Everything works great! Today I rode 540 miles to Springfield, MO. First 200 miles were in rain, very comforting to have the extra brake/tail lights. Enabled California legal flash. Had to make one quick stop in the rain and was very glad for the function and the lights. The lights are two LED strips from Amazon mounted vertically on either side of the license tag. They are modulated so also function as tail lights. The aux lights stayed firm and didn’t move around. I haven’t used them at night and not sure how well they are aimed, they are aimed low just to be sure not to blind anyone. When I’m back from the bile I’m surprised how small the 19s are but I like that.