BMW F800 Forum banner

F800R wouldn't start

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  bmwroadsterca 
#1 ·
Anyone had intermittent issue with not starting? Mine wouldn't start 60 miles from home. All lights etc ok but not even a klick from starter motor. Wouldnt vump off. Arranged recovery home then it started first time. Started every day since (3 days) . Any ideas?

#2 ·
Did you try with the clutch pulled in? Could be a faulty side stand switch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Must be a short somewhere. I'd normally suggest to check the battery connections, but if lights were working, then that couldn't be it.

Are you sure the battery is still good? If the computer doesn't think it has enough amps to start the motor, it won't let it turn over at all (lights will still work). Maybe sitting on the tow truck and slightly warmer temps got the resting voltage just above the threshold to start. The charging system would then keep voltage high enough as long as it doesn't sit too long between starts.

I'd check resting voltage (12.4-12.6 depending on temp), or ideally take it to an auto parts store so they can load test it.

• Helpful
Reactions: F800Rider
#5 ·
As per previous suggestions the side stand switch does that and if it is damaged(as always shorted) no matter the position of the stands. Try to disconnect it. Also the battery is another killer. Try to put the battery in a charger for 1 hour and try. The other thing that may be possible is the bike is over heating. As you mentioned that it won't start 60 miles from your home it may be over heating. My one had this problem once and I found the thermostat wasn't working. It was closed all the time so the engine was over heating.

Good luck

#7 ·
Took the bike for a diagnostic check at a bmw dealers. The bike is on good health with no issues recorded on the log. The dealer offered one possible explanation. That the bike didn't recognise the chip in the key therefore the imoboliser kicked in. I guess that makes sense as it wouldn't push start either !

#8 ·
You would get an EWS error if the key wasn't recognised by the antenna ring. These bikes are designed so that they won't push start even if your key works. I don't know how they do it, but it won't work even if you are riding along and it stalls. Try dropping the clutch while you are rolling along with the engine off, even if the kill switch and key are still on. All you get is a locked up rear wheel. It's scary!

#9 ·
You would get an EWS error if the key wasn't recognised by the antenna ring. These bikes are designed so that they won't push start even if your key works. I don't know how they do it, but it won't work even if you are riding along and it stalls. Try dropping the clutch while you are rolling along with the engine off, even if the kill switch and key are still on. All you get is a locked up rear wheel. It's scary!

The F800s will indeed bump start given a battery in good condition and no other fault or no start condition. 25 mph, 2nd gear, dump clutch.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I would check the EWS - it is a more common problem then you may realize. I've had it twice...
There are quite a few comments to read on this forum. Just search EWS.
I did not have any error on display, but that's what it was.
Even the damn plastic emergency key didn't work!

• Helpful
Reactions: F800Rider