BMW F800 Forum banner

2019 Highlands Tour

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  slparry 
#1 ·
Well … trip done, just shy of 1500 miles and everyone, except for the motorway slogs, a joy.

The weather Gods were mostly kind :)

Paul Davies and I stopped for coffee at Charnock Richard before making our way to the Kirkstone Pass Inn in the Lakes for lunch for a spot of soup :D

then on upwards to Moffat for afternoon coffee and cake :)

bugged by wasps wherever we stopped which was irritating, I began to believe it was the same (fast) wasp :D

rather than go back onto the motorway we used the road that paralleled the motorway for a while from Moffat which broke the journey nicely

then onto the usual 1st night stop of the Erskine Bridge Hotel

despite the diet, caution was thrown for hols so a pint was in order after a splash in the pool :)

Day 2 was to head north east towards Aberfeldy and the awesome Dukes Pass ….. but was foiled … to find the Pass had been retarmaced and chipped … didn't stop at Killin as we would usually but went on to Kenmore for coffee for a change, pretty little village.

Then on via Pitlochry up to Glenshee for more soup for lunch, stunning piece of tarmac that invites much naughtiness :)

After lunch at Glenshee ski centre (more soup) … it was on towards Balmoral, Liz declined to offer us tea which was a tad rude but hey ho ;)

We had some time to kill before going to the hotel in Tomintoul (the Richmond Hotel) so we carried on towards Aberdeen for a while before getting the sat nav to take us to the hotel. Again it convinces me that as far as Scotland goes wherever you go the roads are often stunning

The hotel was very pleasant, we had dinner that night at the Clockhouse restaurant across the road. As a footnote I'm not sure what the catering industry is going to do after Brexit as everywhere seems to have Eastern European staff!

Next day after a fine breakfast in the Richmond we went up the A9 to Lybster Harbour for coffee (and cake)

Then up to John o Groats for the obligatory pics :)

From there on to the nights stop at the hotel that proclaims itself as the mainlands most remote hotel, The Garvault Hotel..... it is very very remote, took ages to get to and a 400 yard gravel track (off roading on an RT ….. wooo hooo :D)

lovely location, lovely eccentric owners, Adrian and Eva, no mains water, no mains electric, no phone, no tv.... wonderful!

Dinner that evening was with the owners and was a great way of spending an evening chatting and drinking and swapping tales. Adrian was ex RAF pilot and Eva was Austrian.

The battery lighting only extending to half of the hotel so navigating back to the room was via torch :) ….. the room itself did have lighting

Next morning was on the small B road on towards Altnaharra (which took ages) then onto Tongue and picking up the North Coast road and onto to coffee (and treacle tart) at the little café there. Have stopped there before, the owner, from Yorkshire moved up years ago and fell in love with the are and stayed, diving for scallops for a while before setting up the café.

Only moan was the amount of camper vans everywhere, and despite signage saying to allow traffic to overtake at passing places they'd trundle along blocking everyone else's progress.

Stopped for more lunchtime soup (Cullen skink this time) at the Pie Shop in Lochinver before rejoining the NC500 near Kylesku for Ullapool

There was a Harley event in the Highlands that week so there were a few of them in Ullapool, we stopped at the Ferryboat in for coffee and a chat with locals

From Ullapool we continued on to the stop for the third night, the Poolewe Hotel. The hotels rooms are in an annexe behind the hotel and are very pleasant.

after a lovely dinner I was "forced" to have a treble Ardberg 10 years old (it seemed a generous treble)

After breakfast in high winds and rain we set off towards Aplecross for the mornings coffee stop and the ride over the pass (stunning as always) …. stunned to find the pass is now covered by 4G so could post pictures as soon as taking them!

Then on to Eileen Donan for lunch …. guess what …. soup ….

afterwards riding over via Kinlochleven and Glencoe to the Green Welly

before riding down passed Loch Lomond to the Erskine Bridge again

Travelling home was on the bank holiday Saturday so traffic was a bit heavier. We did 1500 miles, the trip went all too quickly.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not envious.... [xx(] well at least your tour brings back so many memories and I'm lucky enough to be able to have a day's ride out in the borders whenever I've earnt enough brownie points. Just one suggestion next time you come North - take the parallel road from Carlisle to Moffat. If you want detailed instructions on how to get on to it at Carlisle, just message me. It is fast, scenic, and so much quieter than the motorway which is often in sight.

Thanks for a great report.

#3 ·
Good report and thank you.

Not been north of the boarder on a bike since we took the Annabella my ex DSA R80RT there about 15 years ago.

Seeing as there's still some blue sky showing at Eileen Donan, I might be tempted to visit again as I've a week off work mid September.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thank you slparry,

I have been to many of those places. (miss Scotland terribly) Your tale reminds me of my journey, not so long ago. Liz did not offer us tea either, we made significant effort towards an invite. Missed the turn to Charlie's place, twice, and gave up. We had "tea" at Royal Lochnagar, there was no cake. <lol>

SLANGE VAR!

Reactions: slparry
#6 ·
It is the same with my computer running Firefox. All I see are small empty boxes and no photos. :confused:

#11 ·
If you right click on the broken link icon and pick "view image" it will tell you that the hosting location (boxertrix) is a an evil place. You can then click on the advanced button and make an exception for the site. The photos will then magically appear!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.