BMW F800 Forum banner

Forum Newbie

18K views 137 replies 19 participants last post by  AliceNicho 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just popping in to say hi after buying my first BMW an F800ST 1.5wks ago. Some of you may recognise her as her previous owner Don is on the forums and did a long post back in 2014 when he joined his first TS Safari.

I call motorcycling my midlife crisis as I've only been riding for about 2yrs. Though I do ride on the road and also in the dirt (have a KTM for that).

A little about me, I'm a 37yr old RN from Central QLD and got into riding thanks to my mechanic partner who is a mad pommy.

The day I picked up my gorgeous new bike I rode her the 680km home, long day/night but achieved my longest ride to date. Have been getting out on her every chance I get. The day did start with a screw up on my behalf, I messed up on a roundabout, mounted a curb and ended up in a garden bed, however no damage to me or the bike and despite the rough start I got back on and rode the trip home.

Anyway, nice to meet you all,

Alice

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Go Alice! Don't worry about the garden bed, we have all our moments - I took out our mate Paul' s roses just trying to get into his driveway, on the last Safari in W.A.

Welcome formally to the forum, I am glad we were of some assistance in getting you up and running in Eff territory. I suspect we will be meeting in person rather than the page, sooner rather than later.
Cheers, Ian A.

#5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm sure we will @IanA [emoji4]

I've racked up a further 400+km on her since getting her home and I've now named her "Betsy" (beemer), only took me 1.5wks to pick a name [emoji23]. Easy to rack up the k's when you live in the middle of nowhere as we do! Mixture of the Bruce Hwy and "town" riding. Will be having my first pillion in a week or two (my lucky partner gets to be my first [emoji23]) so that I can build up confidence before I have the teenager on the back.

#14 ·
Yah, Ian. I'm like WTF? Except I'm part English in ancestry and have read some and listen to English folk music and passages like that seem to be the norm.
I know Aus isn't England but there is a sort of connection there.
I couldn't the "the Bruce" but figured it is some waterway?
The Bruce Highway also known as the A1, Australia's National Highway that runs from Victoria to the top end of QLD.

#29 ·
Tell him I say G'day.

Betsy and I had our first fall/drop last weekend whilst out with a local social group, ride through Gladstone then onto Lake Awoonga for a BBQ. The carpark being steep got the better of me and with handlebars locked over and fearing I was about to hit a car whilst going uphill into a carspace (not the best choice in retrospect) I grabbed the brakes and she decided to go down, but she did have an assisted drop so only damage was a snapped footpeg and the indicator popped out. Both easily repaired when we got home as the old man welded the footpeg back together and simply unscrewing the indicator allowed it to clip back together.

I have switched back to the standard pegs for a trial however as I was having difficulty reaching the rear brake, the angle and my ankle were not compatible (ankle reconstruction in February this year so it will only go so far). Had the same issue in my KTM but was able to adjust the position of the brake pedal on it.

I will be getting a new MadStad adjustable windshield for her that goes higher as currently all the wind hits my face. And the topbox will be exchanged for my larger one as I only just fit my helmet in the current one and when I do the groceries I need more space, also for storing my gear when I'm at work.

Not been on a ride this week as started my new job and don't have a day off till the weekend. But will probably get out for a ride on Sunday.

If we don't do it before then we will be riding to Sydney in mid January. It my sons 16th Birthday so going to see my dad and grandma. Plus Jim and I have tickets to see Elton John. I do plan on a few day trips down the south coast and stuff too.

#32 ·
Welcome to the F8club.

Looks like your using the bike, that is a good sign, it shows your enjoying your rides.

Any issues you feel you have alway's ask. Madstad screen, a brilliant idea, I have one and have posted about it here. Start the set up with the screen - roughly half way up, set the angle in a similar angle to that of the original screen. Then ride, with your left hand, lift it up to you face and continue up until you feel the air, which should be around the top part of your helmet to the visor. this should be your comfort zone. Try the screen forward as far as it will go without changing the height and do the hand test again. If you find your head is being bounced around a bit tilt the screen back a fraction.

Anyway, have fun, which you seem to be having.

Flook:cool:

Reactions: IanA and AliceNicho
#33 ·
Welcome to the F8club.

Looks like your using the bike, that is a good sign, it shows your enjoying your rides.

Any issues you feel you have alway's ask. Madstad screen, a brilliant idea, I have one and have posted about it here. Start the set up with the screen - roughly half way up, set the angle in a similar angle to that of the original screen. Then ride, with your left hand, lift it up to you face and continue up until you feel the air, which should be around the top part of your helmet to the visor. this should be your comfort zone. Try the screen forward as far as it will go without changing the height and do the hand test again. If you find your head is being bounced around a bit tilt the screen back a fraction.

Anyway, have fun, which you seem to be having.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips!

Racked up close to 3000km since I got her and getting more comfortable with Betsy every ride. My first week of my new job was so intense I've not been out on her in a week but may try get out Sunday or Monday.

Am I right in guessing you are in the northern UK? My partner/mechanic is from Yorkshire. I've still not let him ride Betsy though [emoji23] not sure I will either as he rides like a twat.

The Madstad screen will be my Christmas present to myself along with a lambswool seat cover. Leave her sat in the sun for even a few minutes and my rear end is cooking when I get back on.

Quick question for the forum regulars, best and easiest way to check coolant levels?

#34 ·
I am two hours south of Yorkshire, in the county of Northamptonshire.

Coolant levels, erm, sorry I can't help much with that as living in the UK we do not have the warm weather like you have down under.

If he rides like a twat, then do not let him anywhere near your bike, otherwise she may become an upset Betsy[:0][:D]

Reactions: AliceNicho
#35 ·
There is a small view of the expansion tank through the right side panel. If you look at the BMW roundel, move in the 10 o'clock direction and you'll notice a vertical slit. It's actually visible in the picture you posted.

Now, having said this, the view is poor. A flashlight and a dark garage helps. The alternative is to remove the plastic panel (which requires the faux gas tank cover to be removed and the right side mirror.

Absent some kind of malfunction or having air in the system, cooling on the F8 is extremely reliable. Many anecdotes exist on this forum of long days in very hot temperatures and the temperature gauge never going above half.

Welcome! And enjoy your beautiful motorcycle. Great colour choice.

#36 ·
Thanks @Runmyownlife

I have done as suggested with the torch but it really is a crappy place to have it. The temp guage hasn't gone over halfway even on 35C days but it will get hotter and my OCD wants to ensure the coolant is fine. So I guess it will be removing the panel to check +/- top up. Bloody German engineering [emoji23]

#37 ·
Thanks @Runmyownlife

I have done as suggested with the torch but it really is a crappy place to have it.
When the time came to change the fluid, I went with a brand that ordered a pink coloured fluid. I find this provided a better contrast than pale green fluid through the translucent yellow plastic overflow container.

(For those in America, please don't use a torch when viewing your motorcycle. Unless you intend to set things on fire. [:D] )

#39 ·
God men are so fucking stubborn! My mechanic partner just instigated an argument with me over this and is certain he knows better and bright green will be more visible... Will be glad when I do open it up to show him the green is shit and that's why it's not visible so stop being a stubborn know it all and take the advice of people who own this bike!

(sorry for the rant just pissed off at the old man who always has to know more, even tries to tell me he knows more about my bike but has never ridden one or worked on one and knows more about nursing than myself who has been doing it for over a decade) men!!!!!!

#42 ·
Oh what jolly japes you all seem to be having.

Okay serious stuff[ahh]. Some time ago someone put on this site a way of viewing this without all the shenanigans of torches, blow lamps and so on[:0]. If I recall correctly the side panel was removed and a neon or neon's were placed behind this small plastic tank and wired into the circuitry, so with the side panel re-placed and with the ignition turned on the neon/s light up to display the cooling tank and thus show the level inside[:D].

Now young Alice, get your nice young fella who as you say is a mechanical genius[8)], is he also a genius[8)] in the electrics dept. If so, ask him very kindly if he would carry out this idea. I am most sure he would consider it a challenge[|)] having to use his grey cells to give his sweetheart pleasure[}:)] to be able to see the liquid in question quite clearly.

Okay, now I have a headache[:eek:)]

Reactions: IanA and AliceNicho
#45 ·
Whatever works and the old man installs I'll be happy with [emoji4] I swapped my top box over tonight so have my larger one on now, at least 2 helmets will fit in it or with it and the panniers I can do an almost full grocery shop.

#46 ·
Alice, look at the "Word association", take part and have a laugh with a play on words[lol2][thumb]
MGD109, try the neon or led suggestions re posts 42 & 44. This should help

Reactions: AliceNicho
#47 ·
After a few busy weeks at my new job I finally got out for a ride on Betsy and boy was it great even if it was just a grocery run (120km round trip up here). I'm trusting her and my tyres more, keeping the pace through the bends and leaning more through the corners. Plus I'm no longer terrified of roundabouts in her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.