BMW F800 Forum banner

Test rode a new F750gs today

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Tigcraft 
#1 ·
Well....... Mixed thoughts ....
This is the first GS I’ve ever rode, in fact it’s the first ever adventure bike also that I’ve rode so it was something I was looking forward to very much.
I’m fancying something either lighter than what I’ve got (1150R Rockster) or lower. It can be either but doesn’t need to be both so I’m curious to what the 800/850 varieties can offer as I’ve had mid range bikes that have performed better than larger ones at times. Problem is I’m short at 5’6” and on toes with my Rockster.
I fancy either the F8R, 7GS, 750GS or F8GT.
So today I test rode the 750GS. The bike was a perfect fit with the std framed version and a low seat which meant great I wasn’t the shortest in the world, that was a plus. It had a fantastic presence about it and rode very sure footed. I was quite impressed. It was a base model which was fine for me. The suspension worked well on ordinary main roads soaking up the bad potholes we have here in the Yorkshire dales. As I was used to 17” wheels I found the larger diameter front 19” quick enough to turn in on bends so that was another plus. It filtered brilliantly as it was so slim compared to my boxer lump of a bike.

The 270’ crank engine on the other hand made me scratch my head!! When I first set off and left the dealer there seemed a reasonable amount of engine torque as it picked up well then further along the route it felt very flat on the throttle, strange..... What I did notice was that there was very little torque under 3/4000rpm. After that there was a nice pocket of power from 4000-5-6000 rpm but then past that it went flat again. The bike struggled after 80mph and trying to hit three figures was like flogging a dead horse.
Not sure what to make of it...... but it put me right off that engine configuration.

See less See more
#2 ·
The engines on both the 750 & 850 get better with time when we first got our bikes they seemed to be lacking on bottom end but now with 5,000 miles on they fell much more linier on the torque. I have the 850 and my wife the 750... I rode her bike for the first time a few weeks ago in order to check it over for a trip and I will say it doesn't feel much different power wise than my 850.

#4 ·
It's on my list hopefully. The F8r was on the agenda straight after the 750gs but then when I was about to pick it up it then was out to a 'service' customer. Strangely enough today I did a 200mile round trip ride and the so called actual demonstrator 8r was parked at a biker cafe many miles from the dealer it was loaned from 🤷‍♂️

#5 ·
Not sure what you’re used to but I don’t find any lack of torque or power. If you’re used to larger engines or bikes with more HP then give it the beans in dynamic mode and to me it doesn’t feel far off a 1200GS. Power is virtually identical to the outgoing 700GS but the engine note, delivery and lack of vibes all over the bike are a plus. I also have an 850GS with Akra can and link pipe to reduce weight and add a touch of punch and it just flies - in fact the 21” front wheel and slightly bouncy suspension give up long before the engine does - but that’s a fair trade-off for the outstandingly compliant ride. I rode a 1250GS back to back with the Full ESA and the 750 was far smoother over ruts and poor roads. It’s also a relief not to hear that awful agricultural racket from the boxer engine - just seems to be at a frequency which would really grate on longer rides.

#7 ·
Having just gotten off a 750GS and back on my 800S, i can't say too much about top end torque and power(traffic, sadly), but the low end on the 750 is abysmal compared to an 800S. The bike is practically unusable in third below 2000 rpm, as it runs extremely choppily. The 800 is prefectly fine at 1500 in second. It pulses ever so slightly in its push forwards, but its more of a vibration, not a jump with every revolution of the engine. I absolutely would not want to ride that 750 GS in heavy traffic again. I noticed a lower amount of available torque too, at least seemingly, but iirc the 750 is meant to have less go juice compared to the 850.

What really sets them apart is weight and the quickshifter. The 750 should be a LOT heavier than the 800R. The quickshifter and electronic dash are fairly epic, however. With a quickshifter, you just want to keep on shifting up until you hit sixth and start wishing there was a seventh. It's stupid fun.
The dash is also very nice to ride with. Speed is very easily observed, more so than on the comparatively tiny F800 dials.
If I could build my dream bike, I'd get an F800 engine with the 750 dash and quickshifter in a F800ST chassis and a F800GSA fuel... tanker truck? Can't really call it a tank anymore, at that size. Getting back on the 800S was weird, it feels so cramped with how high the seat and pegs are.
They really aren't, I've ridden more than 1000 km on a single day with nothing but a sore back, but in comparison its a whole lot of difference.

Edit: If you do decide on the 750GS, get rid of the Anakee 3. It is horrible garbage. I'd recommend a proper touring tire instead, like a Pilot road or Roadtec 01.
And if you're looking for some technique on riding a bigger bike, may i suggest learning a little from 5' Jocelin Snow, who rides an R1250 GSA?

#8 ·
Perhaps a rider mode or some sort of demo setting similar to the liter bikes like the XR,,.

Interesting observations from the thread are 850 and 750 similar, that interesting as they rate another 20HP on the 850GS,,.
also someone noted that the 700GS and 750GS are similar in performance so all things equal doesn't sound like there is a big performance upgrade to be had especially with the extra weight in the 750/850 bikes,,.

Definitely no comparison to a liter bike,,. I have the 700GS and have no trouble getting it up to speed, just over 190 KPH and still 185 KPH with the lower sprocket on the front,,. The engine lacks torque on the higher rev range so you do have to ring its neck a bit to get to those speeds,,. As far as handling, its as nimble as they come, I wish the front shocks were a bit more robust with adjustments but other then that no complaints,,.

#9 ·
I just got a F750GS and find the fly by wire throttle very choppy as Tengue mentioned. EVen in different modes I haven't found the sweet spot yet. I'm still doing the break-in thing so I haven't ridden many miles.
I had an 800ST and folks complained its throttle was choppy but I had no issues with that. Haven't noticed any lack of torque but like I said, not enough miles on the bike yet. When I require acceleration it's not lacking.

#10 ·
Ya,,700 is a bit on/off/choppy at lower RPM in first but the rest of the gears are fine,,. Some said that off throttle choppiness is due to fuel cut of regulation requirements for safety in case of an accident or tip over, I don't know, but most all bikes I have ridden lately are choppy down low?

#11 ·
I recently owned a F700GS and an 800ST. Just sold the 700 as it was painfully dull and vibrated like hell if you revved it. I had a Versys 650 before that as my pootling around bike and overall I would say it was much better. I 'd have another Versys, but not another 700GS.

#12 ·
Sorry, I don't know what anyone is talking about the F750 throttle being "choppy".
I'm an Instructor and I teach low speed maneuvers on the bike. It's an absolute dream. My S1000R had a dead spot right off idle that made slow riding choppy, but I had the ECU remapped and the power is more linear now at slower speeds.

#15 ·
I'm fancying something either lighter than what I've got (1150R Rockster) or lower. It can be either but doesn't need to be both so I'm curious to what the 800/850 varieties can offer as I've had mid range bikes that have performed better than larger ones at times. Problem is I'm short at 5'6" and on toes with my Rockster.
Welcome to the forum, maxfranklin. It is going to be tough finding a new BMW motorcycle model that will be light and low. BMW bikes seem to be getting heavier and taller lately. The only BMW model that I can think of that would meet your chassis requirements would be the G310R. But I doubt you would like the performance of its engine. You might need to check out other brands if you are looking for something lighter and shorter than your Rockster - which I personally think is a great motorcycle.

#17 ·
At 5'6" myself, I've given up on ever flat-footing a motorcycle. I ride a GT with the normal or regular stock seat. When touring, I'm using an AirHawk seat cushion, which adds some height.

New bike's are made for short people who are about 5'10", it seems.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.