Test rode a new F750gs today - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

3 Hours Ago
    Well....... Mixed thoughts ....
    This is the first GS I’ve ever rode, in fact it’s the first ever adventure bike also that I’ve rode so it was something I was looking forward to very much.
    I’m fancying something either lighter than what I’ve got (1150R Rockster) or lower. It can be either but doesn’t need to be both so I’m curious to what the 800/850 varieties can offer as I’ve had mid range bikes that have performed better than larger ones at times. Problem is I’m short at 5’6” and on toes with my Rockster.
    I fancy either the F8R, 7GS, 750GS or F8GT.
    So today I test rode the 750GS. The bike was a perfect fit with the std framed version and a low seat which meant great I wasn’t the shortest in the world, that was a plus. It had a fantastic presence about it and rode very sure footed. I was quite impressed. It was a base model which was fine for me. The suspension worked well on ordinary main roads soaking up the bad potholes we have here in the Yorkshire dales. As I was used to 17” wheels I found the larger diameter front 19” quick enough to turn in on bends so that was another plus. It filtered brilliantly as it was so slim compared to my boxer lump of a bike.

The 270’ crank engine on the other hand made me scratch my head!! When I first set off and left the dealer there seemed a reasonable amount of engine torque as it picked up well then further along the route it felt very flat on the throttle, strange..... What I did notice was that there was very little torque under 3/4000rpm. After that there was a nice pocket of power from 4000-5-6000 rpm but then past that it went flat again. The bike struggled after 80mph and trying to hit three figures was like flogging a dead horse.
    Not sure what to make of it...... but it put me right off that engine configuration.

2. ThanksRichard230 thanked for this post
    LikesDaboo liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Wayne
    1 Day Ago
    The engines on both the 750 & 850 get better with time when we first got our bikes they seemed to be lacking on bottom end but now with 5,000 miles on they fell much more linier on the torque. I have the 850 and my wife the 750... I rode her bike for the first time a few weeks ago in order to check it over for a trip and I will say it doesn't feel much different power wise than my 850.

Real Name
    Gunther
    1 Day Ago
    Hi, have you managed to test ride the previous 700GS? I currently own a 800R, and it doesn't lack of torque at low rpms, so I assume the 700GS should be similar.
    Maybe you could test one of these and feel differences between the 2 engines
    Su cunnu! 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Hi, have you managed to test ride the previous 700GS? I currently own a 800R, and it doesn't lack of torque at low rpms, so I assume the 700GS should be similar.
    Maybe you could test one of these and feel differences between the 2 engines
    It’s on my list hopefully. The F8r was on the agenda straight after the 750gs but then when I was about to pick it up it then was out to a ‘service’ customer. Strangely enough today I did a 200mile round trip ride and the so called actual demonstrator 8r was parked at a biker cafe many miles from the dealer it was loaned from 🤷‍♂️

Real Name
    Mat
    1 Week Ago
    Not sure what you’re used to but I don’t find any lack of torque or power. If you’re used to larger engines or bikes with more HP then give it the beans in dynamic mode and to me it doesn’t feel far off a 1200GS. Power is virtually identical to the outgoing 700GS but the engine note, delivery and lack of vibes all over the bike are a plus. I also have an 850GS with Akra can and link pipe to reduce weight and add a touch of punch and it just flies - in fact the 21” front wheel and slightly bouncy suspension give up long before the engine does - but that’s a fair trade-off for the outstandingly compliant ride. I rode a 1250GS back to back with the Full ESA and the 750 was far smoother over ruts and poor roads. It’s also a relief not to hear that awful agricultural racket from the boxer engine - just seems to be at a frequency which would really grate on longer rides.

3 Hours Ago
    Im used to quite a variety of engine sizes as Ive currently 13 bikes on the fleet so I get a good idea what things should ride like generally and also when a bike is not pulling its weight.