When the bike is on the centre stand? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    2 Weeks Ago
    Hey all,

First post on here so hi all,

Not my first bike by a long way and for sure not my first BMW, I have an S1000XR as my main bike and got the F800st as I teach CBTs a couple of days a week.

But an odd thing with the F800 when it is on the centre stand the back wheel is touching the ground!

Is this right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

8 Hours Ago
    My 1975 R75/6 does the same thing. Clearly you'd want the distribution of weight to be concentrated to the rear, to avoid any issues with the bike rolling forward off the center stand.

Is your F800 set up out of the factory with the lower shocks? My F800ST seems to be touching both front and rear tires when on the stand. If it was 'lowered' the center stand would lift the tires off the ground and the gas tank being at the back and weight of the swingarm/drive etc. would cause the front wheel to be airborne.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_2070.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	347859

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazk View Post
    ……..But an odd thing with the F800 when it is on the centre stand the back wheel is touching the ground!

Is this right?
    On my GT at any rate rear wheel off the ground regardless of how much fuel is in the tank, with fully loaded panniers rear wheel on the ground, suspension is stock.

P.S. Welcome

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome to the forum Gary. The rear wheel on my ST was off the ground when on the centerstand.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st

11 Hours Ago
    Usually the rear is off the ground due to the weighted front end. However if the forks have been taken out and put back in at a different length in the yokes, it will sit differently.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen,

Real Name
    Mouse
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 K1200S
    Motorcycle
    '16 Thruxton
    Motorcycle
    '75 CB750-4 S/S
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Gary, mine is just a hair of the ground,just enough to spin the wheel.

Real Name
    Cramer
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Yeah, my rear tire sits above the ground by about a half inch. Take a look at where your forks poke through your upper yoke and tell us how far above the top the forks poke through. If they're really low (close to flush), then that would explain it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs

Real Name
    Nigel
    19 Minutes Ago
    Morning

Both GT's that I've owned have sat on centre stand with the rear clear of the ground.

Once had an R100RS a few years back that sat with both wheels in contact with floor like yours. Root cause there was wear in the centre stand pivot and stop lug which made her go over centre. Sorted that with new pivot bolts and a dab of weld to reform the stop lug.

Might not be the case for you but worth a check.

Happy CBT'ing.

NAD

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    2 Weeks Ago
    Hey All,

First off thanks guys, I think Toronto may be right, my ST may be a lowered version, which I had not considered, but it does feel very small after the XR! At some point I’ll pull the rear shock out and give a measure and see.

I’ve checked all the joints to make sure that is no excessive play in the rear suspension and the centre stand itself which there is not , the centre stand was a little slow in returning to the away position but a good dose of WD40 seems to have resolved that.

I will say I had a nice run out on it last night and it seems quite capable but strange after the S1000XR and two K1300s but hey it’s going to do the job, that said the turning circle is not that great, but I’ll adapt and overcome.