BMW F800 Forum banner

Shinko 705's on a F700GS

7K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  AKBeemer 
#1 ·
Hear lots of buzz and plenty of reviews for the Shinko 705's however I cant seem to locate both tubeless and radials in the stock size for the F700GS,,. Is this the case or am I missing something?,,,,, front 110/80-R19 back 140/80-R17

#3 ·
Hmmmm,,,,,not seeing that as an option either,,. Michelin prices when you add the "R",,.

87-4530 170/60R17 H 72 42 psi Tubeless $147.95
87-4536 150/70R17 H 69 42 psi Tubeless $124.95
87-4537 150/70R18 Jointless Steel Belted V 70 42 psi Tubeless $150.95

#6 ·
Ya I see the 140,,,,strangely they dropped the 140 on the radial version and one of the local shops confirmed I will need to go with 150/70 R17 H 69 ,,. It increases the width by 7% and reduces the sidewall height by 6%, he said you can't tell by looking,,. Im not concerned with the looks,,. In my way of thinking I would be going with a flatter wider profile which should impact the handling?
Any thoughts on this?

#7 ·
The slightly larger tire may make turning in a bit more lazy.
A friend with an 1100S had the 5.5' rim on the bike and for some reason got the 5" rim and narrower tire and said the bike felt quicker in the twisties.
The larger tire will help in the soft stuff and dirt.

#8 ·
Exactly my thoughts, not sure if I'm making to much of this,,.
Rear tire profile can make a world of difference, surely does on my N1K,. My friend has the 800 with a spoked 150/70-17 and 21" front and the thoughts have always been that the slightly lighter F700 with the OEM Michelin's was always a more nimble set up,,. Perhaps it comes down to rear profile,,. Hate to loose the edge as I'm predominately a street rider however Ive ran a muck a few time with these well worn Anakee's especially in the wet,,.
Real dilemma for me as the 705's ticked all the boxes, I know they stick in the turns on Asphalt which is a priority,,!!

Is there anything else out there that a good value?

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks Phil,,. Best option so far if I want to stick with the back 140/80-R17 is either the new Anakee Adv,,80/20 or the Dunlop trail 90/10,,.
Ill price out the Anakee but some how in Canada the Michelin has had issues with pricing so there tires are not always good value comparatively!!

if anyone knows of any other suitable tires 80/20's in the OEM size, I would be grateful,,.
Re
Lyle,,.

#11 ·
I ordered a set of Shinko 705 tires a while ago, and am just now getting round to mounting the front. While working with the new tires, I discovered that the front is a tubeless tire, but the rear says tube type. Looking at Shinko's web site, the 140/80-17 tire is not available in a tubeless version. They do have a 150/70-17. Has anybody tried this size rear tire on a F700GS? A tire calculator shows that the 140/80 would be 25.819" diameter, vs 25.268" for the 150/70. There is ample space between the tire an swingarm. I'm not concerned about lowering the gearing slightly, and sitting even a quarter inch lower would be fine with my short legs. But the rear wheel is rated as a 3.5" rim, while a 150/70 tire is best with a 4-4.5" rim.

#13 ·
The 150/70*17 increases the width by 7% and reduces the sidewall height by 6%,,. In my opinion the flatter wider profile should impact the handling?
I think one of the reasons the F700 is so nimble is the profile on the OEM rear tire,.The only other options that I could find if you want 140/80*17 radial was Anakees which is why I went with the Anakee Adventure,.

If I'm not mistaken that 150/70*17 is used on the F800GS and on the DR650, pretty common,,.

My ADV friends are using these Shinko 705's exclusively now for years, 1150GS KTM1090 DR650 & Tiger 800,,. 705's are way less money, they wear well, handle on asphalt and have a more rubber and a more aggressive thread then the new Anakee Adventure,,. I may try them next,,!!

#14 ·
I ran one size wider/lower profile on both ends of a Honda Hawk GT for years, and never had complaints about turn-in. There are lots of theories about this, one being that the tread being pinched slightly by the narrow rim offsets the inherent slower turn-in of a wider tire. I'm getting the front mounted tomorrow, and the rear still has ~2000 miles of tread left, so I will wait a while before making a commitment. Another option is a Metzler Tourance, which is available in the correct size.

I seem to have a habit of buying bikes requiring oddball tire sizes. The Hawk required a 110/80 tire, 1999 RT uses a 160/60/18 rear wheel, and now the GS.

https://itstillruns.com/effect-wide-tires-motorcycle-handling-5750698.html

#15 ·
Good to know on the Metzler Tourance, as an option, also Continental TKC70,Trail Attack 3 depending on how aggressive you want to go?

Continental TKC70 Dual Sport Tires
Bridging the gap between the more off-road oriented TKC 80 Twinduro Tires and the Trail Attack 2 Tires, the Continental TKC70 Tires make an excellent 60% on-road and 40% off-road option.

Personally I would go with the match Shinko705's 150/70*17, they will fit and they are highly regarded, and Ive never been big on mixing rubber compounds although I know its been done,,. Some of my friends have ended up with the none radial version which can be confused somehow with the Shinko's,,.

#16 ·
I mounted a Shinko 705 150/70-17 this past weekend, and I have put 37 miles on the tire. After this experience, I would never use a 150/80-17 again. As a rider who is "inseam-challenged" I need every bit of lowering I can get. Even with thicker tread compared to the well-worn OEM Michelin Anakee, the wider tire is about 12 mm less in diameter, which provides a noticeable difference in seat height, and I can flatfoot the bike much more easily now. The 705 has a fairly coarse pattern, with large tread blocks, and it vibrated a little more at slow speeds, but this is already going away as the tire wears in.

#17 ·
Yes they are lower profile however I wouldn't have thought this would be that noticeable?
As I mentioned previously,,.
"My ADV friends are using these Shinko 705's exclusively now for years, 1150GS KTM1090 DR650 & Tiger 800,,. 705's are way less money, they wear well, handle on asphalt and have a more rubber and a more aggressive thread then the new Anakee Adventure,,. I may try them next",,.

Only thing they have noticed is they develop hairline cracks in the base of the tire, between the treads after a couple of years,,. My friend still has tread remaining but now we see these hairline cracks have developed since last season,,. I think he is at 20,000 KMs,,.

#20 ·
According to a tire calculator, the new tire should be about 12 mm smaller in diameter, which means the seat should be about 6mm or 1/4" lower. When you have a 29" inseam, anything is welcome. A few years ago, I had my Aerostich Combat Touring Boots re-soled, and asked the cobbler to insert an extra 1/8" between the new sole and the boot. That difference also was noticeable.

#21 ·
Don't ignore the Metzeler Tourances. They've been around a long time but with good reason. They grip great on pavement and handle gravel and dirt quite well. Mud, not so well. I've used them on my F650 single for 100k miles and just replaced the Anakee IIIs on the 700 with them. I averaged over 12k on them on the F650, sometimes as much as 14K.

#22 ·
My F700 GS had the Metzler's on it when I purchased it. They worked real well for me even though I don't have a lot to compare it with. The handling was great on the road where I do most of my riding. So, when after a few thousand miles of riding the rear was started looking particularly bald, I just went ahead and ordered a new set.
Haven't looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I have had Shinko 705s on my F700GS for about 2 years. The rear wore fairly quickly, and I replaced it after 5000 miles. After 7000 miles, the front has strange tread block wear, is noisy, and at slow speeds it feels like I'm riding with a gear instead of a tire on the front wheel. To some degree, it felt that way when new, but has gotten worse over time. I'm looking to replace it with something that has a less blocky tread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.