Picked up a new set of the Anakee Adventures - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I picked up a set of the new Anakee Adventures and am looking forward to switching out the Anekee 3's which I think have 25,000 Km's on them,,. The local BMW dealer said they were on back order till Dec 29th so I managed to pick them up from a wholesale dealer for a good price?

Problem is I need to find someone to mount these tires as there guy is currently tied up with snow tire install and is an automotive shop,,.

My question is do the TPMS equipped wheels on the F700GS represent any kind of a special set up during the install or are these just a regular remove, replace and balance?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michelin_Anakee_Adventure.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	348985  

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    So far I have watched my rear tire being changed at Wheeler's in Robbinsville, NC, and changed the front tire myself a couple months later.

It is pretty straight forward and normal - the only thing different is being sure that when you install the tire beads that they are located on the proper side of the sensor.....and that you don't catch the bead on the sensor or hit it with your tire tools.

Changing tubeless ties on cast rims is far easier than changing tubed tires on spoked rims.

4. LikesLag liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Thanks,,. Was worried that the TPMS would need to be re programed,,. Cost for tire work on MC's is going up in leaps and bounds,,.
    The bigger shops are charging 1.5 to 2 hrs Labour around here and its hard to get a good price on a tire,,. I can replace all four truck tires balanced and installed for cheaper,,.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I started changing my own tires last spring. They are tubeless tires though on cast rims. Still, as Thumpin said, it was pretty straight-forward. The TPMS didn't pose any problems.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Thanks,,. How much do you need in the way of tools to do the tire mount,,,?,,,,,Balance,,.? Its tempting,,?

Real Name
    Cramer
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I'm with Daboo (Chris), in that I just started doing my own last year. It's not easy, but it's very doable. Granted, I'm doing street tires on cast wheels. I use a set of MotionPro tire irons that double as a bead breaker. The challenge is the bead breaker part. I struggle to break the bead, but I saw some videos about tricks to do it easier with more leverage that I'll try next time. Putting them on was easier if you use lube. Real tire lube works great, much better than windex. Also you'll need some rim protectors if you care about how your rims look. Other than that, they inflate easily and the bead will set with some air from a compressor. Just listen for the pop.

Balancing is much easier, especially if you have the right equipment. I use a balancer from http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Motorc...l_Balancer.htm Along with a set of tire stands. That way it works with the offset rear wheel or a standard front wheel. Weights are dirt cheap. You can watch any instructions on YouTube.

I wish I would have started doing this myself years ago. Would have saved hundreds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

10. LikesDaboo, Richard230, Lag liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    FWIW, on the first set of tires, I used balance beads. The tires rode incredibly smooth.

When I mounted the last set, I used nothing. Same result. The ride is incredibly smooth. I'm not sure I ever needed any balancing.

Chris

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Interesting Daboo,,,.
    Had the Anakee Adventures mounted and the guy put 90 grams on the front and 70 grams on the back, based on his high speed balance machine,. The Anakee 3's that came off had no wts on the back and 14 grams on the front, when I questioned it he blaimed the tires,,. Michelin no longer puts dots on there tires as they claim them to be balanced as produced,,. I used a static balance prior to re-mounting to placing the wheels back on the bike and was able to remove 70 percent of the weight,,.
    I think I should do what you did and remove the rest,,!!

Real Name
    Chris
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I follow a lot of forums. The question comes up on each. One poster heard back from a tire manufacturer who said that if a tire was out of balance enough to require weights, it wouldn't pass the QC check.

I can only answer for what I've experienced. The wheel itself could be out of balance. From what I've experienced, I feel no wheel imbalance at even extra-legal speeds. It's changed my perspective on this.

Chris

Real Name
    Cramer
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I installed my own Michelin PR5s this past spring and was upset that I couldn't find a dot. I guess that explains why. I did still have to balance them both, but next time I will try balancing the wheel without a tire to see if that is the issue. I use a Marc Parnes balancer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    My experience has been if a wheel balance needs lots of weight, its not the tire or the wheel, Its the equipment and or the operator,,. Three times now on two different bikes,,. The OEM rear had zero wts with zero problems and now the guy needs 10 7 gram wt's ,. Could see a bit of wt to off set the tpms sensor,,. Does anyone know what the sensor weighs?

Ive sent Michelin a e mail asking about there balance and lack of a dot,, thats 2 weeks now with no reply,,. Goanna go with Shinko next time my friends al use them and half the price,,!!

Real Name
    Chris
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The TPMS sensor weight is negligible. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've always had an ounce or more of weight on my wheels when the dealership installed the tires. But like I said above, I'm using Metzeler Roadtec 01s now with no weights. Before that was Continental RoadAttack IIIs.

BTW, the Continentals with a rebate are excellent. And the Dunlops RoadSmart IIIs with a rebate are one of the best deals you'll find...and they work great in both wet and dry conditions.

Chris

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Hay Chris,,. Thanks for the advise on the tires, hopefully these AA's last me a season or two as they only have 300Km's on them so far,,. I do have the RS 111's on my other bike, a Ninja 1000, and friends use them as well,,. Wouldn't think of them as an off roader although they have plenty of rubber to them,,.

PS,,. I see your not far,,, Seattle,, I do a fair bit in the Bellingham, Baker, Concrete, Winslow areas, some great riding in your fine State,,!!

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Thanks Cramer ,,,,,,The balancer you have is the same one we used to remove all the weight the guy put on, borrowed from my neighbor!!

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    My experience has been if a wheel balance needs lots of weight, its not the tire or the wheel, Its the equipment and or the operator,,.!
    Lead is no longer being used in wheel weights - they are being made from Zinc or Steel. These metals are not as heavy as lead - so the size of the weights is larger than what we are used to seeing......it may appear like there is a "lot" of weight on the rim - but it could be that the weights are just larger than you are used to seeing.

20. LikesRichard230 liked this post