BMW F800 Forum banner

Gettin an error posting an attached upload

10K views 61 replies 8 participants last post by  Daboo 
#1 ·
Getting an error while trying to up load an .jpeg picture..says it’s an “invalid file”..

#7 ·
maybe you can do a try posting only one picture at once. sometimes the system doesn't accept more that one picture. I think it depends on the size of the files.

#8 ·
another try that you could do is to click on the button "go advanced" and use the button with the clip for the attachments to open the proper tool in a new page then upload there the images.

#10 ·
Like this. [:)] I used Guido's instructions. I downloaded Clay's photo on to my computer files and then uploaded it from my files using the forum's system. The little paperclip finds everything in your computer file - as long as you can. [;)]

Attachments

#11 ·
clay, I've just checked your account and seems to have the right settings.
you could also try to refresh the cache of your browser and log in again, this usually solves a lot of problems.

#13 ·
Chris has already sent a message to HalfPint to fix the problem. Please, be patient, give to the tech staff the time to do their job.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

#15 ·
It’s the latest version of the iOS, the same that I have on my iPhone, it works fine with the forum engine. I don’t think that the problem is on the iOS.
New Mac computers run the macOS Catalina, mine is quite old so it has the High Sierra and doesn’t accept further upgrade. Anyway, also the various versions of macOS work well with the forum system.
If there is a problem it’s in your account. Sometimes it happens. As I said, wait for the intervention of the tech staff. Meanwhile if you need to post some pictures contact me or one of the moderators by PM and we will post the pictures for you.

#16 ·
I've taken a look at your permissions and I can't find anything to explain your error yet.

Is this occurring when uploading to a specific section or does it happen regardless of location?

Can you tell me the file size and dimensions of an example image that gives you this error?

And do you use any form of adblocker with your browser?

Kevin

#18 ·
Kevin, it looks like it is specific to him. Whether that is the account settings, or a browser, or ad blocker. There's a link to the picture in post #9, and Richard posted it in Post #10.

So I wonder if he installed something or changed something on his end, if his account settings are correct.

Chris

#21 ·
Can you all dup. my account and see what I'm experiencing..?
I've never done something like that, I don't even know if is possible. please, try, as I said answering to the other admins, to change the display mode of the site. if it doesn't work I suppose that we should open a ticket for the tech staff.

#20 ·
I've also checked his account settings and are ok, if he uses mobile devices probably they display the mobile version of the site, maybe he could try if changing the display mode of the site it works, anyway, as I said, Safari on iOS and macOS works fine with the forum engine, in both display modes. so I think that the problem could be in his account rather than in his browser settings.

#23 ·
Clay, Richard downloaded your picture from you link above and posted it. There's no issue with the size of the picture.

One way to help isolate what is happening is if you, Clay, were to use a different computer. A friends...a neighbors...the library's. Anything but the computer you've been using. The problem isn't the picture. The problem doesn't seem to be your account. So to narrow it down, let's eliminate your computer.

Chris

#40 ·
One way to help isolate what is happening is if you, Clay, were to use a different computer. A friends...a neighbors...the library's. Anything but the computer you've been using. The problem isn't the picture. The problem doesn't seem to be your account. So to narrow it down, let's eliminate your computer.

Chris
It doesn't seem like you've done this. Here's why it is important. There are five things I see that can be causing this. The picture. The account. The forum software. The user. The computer.
  • The picture. We know your picture file isn't an issue. It loads just fine when others have tried it, even in this thread.
  • The account. It's been looked at by Guido and HalfPint. But I still wouldn't rule it out totally.
  • The forum software. This is doubtful. The forum is working fine for others, even to posting within this thread. The problem is specific to your ability to load pictures.
  • The user. Who knows? It may be something you're doing and Guido has offered to guide you through it step by step. (That's dedication!...especially from a non-paid volunteer.) I know you've loaded pictures on other forums, but every forum is different.
  • The computer. Even if you can load pictures on other forums, it doesn't rule out a problem with the settings on your computer browser for this forum website. For instance, I have ad blocking software installed on my Opera browser. It has a VPN setting. I have just about everything turned off that can be done to keep my privacy. And it sometimes doesn't work on certain websites. I then go to another browser to see that website. So my thought is to simply log into your account on an entirely different computer. All you need is the URL and your password...a simple thing to do.

If you can load pictures from another computer, then the problem is with something on your computer. We need to eliminate this, and there's only one way to do it.

Chris

#24 ·
another try could be to download the picture from iCloud so you have the file physically into your device. but I use the iCloud account too and I've never had the necessity to download the pictures, I just choose them from the Photo library, the files stored in iCloud are shown by the forum system and can be used as well as the pictures physically stored in the iPhone. anyway you should also go the the Safari preferences, then to Advanced, to Experimental Features settings and check if these preferences are set in this way (line by line):
1 off
2 off
3 off
4 on
5 off
6 off
7 off
8 off
9 on
10 on
11 off
12 off
13 on
14 off
15 off
16 on
17 off
18 off
19 on
20 on
21 off
22 off
23 off
24 off
25 on
26 on
27 on
28 off
29 off
30 off
31 off
32 off
33 on
34 on
35 on
36 on
37 on
I'm not sure that these preference settings can make the difference but you could also try.

#27 ·
this is a list of toggle settings, "on" is when the toggle is green and "off" is when is obscured.
opening the settings of the iOS scroll down until you see "Safari", go to Safari settings and at the bottom of the list you will find the voice "Advanced", go there and scroll down to the bottom of the Advanced settings and you will find the voice "Experimental Features" and there you will find a list of 37 toggle switches, follow the instruction that I've given to be sure that all the settings are the same of my iPhone. my browser works well.

#29 ·
I have no problem attaching as many photos of any size that I want using the "Go Advanced" feature and the paperclip icon. But they are picked up directly from my computer files. I have an old Dell Optiplex 390 desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate. None of that fancy cloud stuff for me. [;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.