BMW F800 Forum banner

BMW F900R and F900XR On Their Way

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Daboo 
#1 ·
Reactions: Daboo
#12 ·
I am new in Forum F900XR!

Hi Padeak, I had bought a brand new 2020 F900XR last week Galvanic Golden Metallic color, and now I am in the breaking process with just 496 km in three rides; going slow in order to have a nice mechanism and engine start. I will post later pictures, but for now it is a nice and comfortable, plenty of torque, acceleration, balanced and easy to ride.

#5 ·
here it is about 12,000 € plus the optionals, it can arrive, complete of side bags, to cost more than 15,000 €. I see that you live in Germany, probably there the BMW are cheaper but I find hard to believe that there is a so big difference. maybe the price you have read is without the taxes.

#7 ·
I bet those new models are going to be priced at $18,000 in the U.S. when the fully-loaded bikes arrive here.

#8 ·
It will be interesting to see, they will need to keep it below the cost of the S1000XR would think. Also will need to keep it close to the Tracer. Im interested but not blindly. Like it but don't have to have it. Will be interesting to see their strategy. The S1000XR has been a popular bike, however the local dealer said they have only sold 2 S1000XRs, they sell a lot of GS's.

LED lights are nice - no retaining clip to break while changing the bulb!

#9 ·
I was thinking on the way over to a Starbucks to meet a friend that the new models are great...but... If I had a horrible bike, I'd be in the market. Or if I had a bike that was for a totally different purpose, I'd be in the market. Or if my bike was stolen or wrecked, I'd be in the market.

But just because a new bike is being sold, doesn't mean I have to sell what I have now.

My friend is a lawyer and he drives a 2005 Acura RSX. I asked him why a lawyer drives a car that is 14-15 years old. His answer was simple...he loves it. He doesn't ever want to replace it. I feel the same way about my 2005 Subaru Outback XT. I bought it because I fell in love with it. Both of us can buy whatever we want. We bought what we loved.

And I feel the same way about my F800GT. If it was stolen or wrecked (and I could still ride), I'd probably just look for another.

Chris

#10 ·
I am of the same mindset. I drive a 2011 Buick Regal Turbo and my wife keeps suggesting I get something newer. It is paid for, runs great, and I like it - dings and wear and all. The other factor is that it has a 6-speed manual. So few new cars have manuals so I will ride this one out and, in the absence of an accident or major mechanical issue, my next car will very likely be electric with no tranny.

That mindset carries to my F8 too. I like it a lot and still has many good years in it. I don't want to get something new for the sake of something new. That being said, I am a bit surprised on the XR. Lot to like in it from first blush. Yes - it has a chain and is likely pricey but looks like a solid package.

I was thinking on the way over to a Starbucks to meet a friend that the new models are great...but... If I had a horrible bike, I'd be in the market. Or if I had a bike that was for a totally different purpose, I'd be in the market. Or if my bike was stolen or wrecked, I'd be in the market.

But just because a new bike is being sold, doesn't mean I have to sell what I have now.

My friend is a lawyer and he drives a 2005 Acura RSX. I asked him why a lawyer drives a car that is 14-15 years old. His answer was simple...he loves it. He doesn't ever want to replace it. I feel the same way about my 2005 Subaru Outback XT. I bought it because I fell in love with it. Both of us can buy whatever we want. We bought what we loved.

And I feel the same way about my F800GT. If it was stolen or wrecked (and I could still ride), I'd probably just look for another.

Chris

#13 ·
Welcome, Cosmet! I'm full of questions. :) First, where are you from? (Hint: there's a place in your profile to put something in permanently.) Second, and third ...what did you own before and why did you buy the F900XR?

Chris

#14 ·
So I stopped by the local BMW dealer. He has one in the Galvanic Golden Metallic color. I told the salesman that the color wouldn't work for me. It isn't in my color wheel. (I learned about color wheels when I watched Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side.) Anyway, I think it would clash with my hi-vis jacket. Can't have that. But they do have some shade of white that would work.

Salesman said that what I was looking at, wasn't what others were ordering? Really? I thought BMW dealers always ordered the top of the line versions. This one had cornering ABS and cornering traction control. What is missing? Well, cruise control, heated grips and one other option. How much more would that be? About another $3000. Wow...

So here's the numbers:
  • MSRP $12750 as equiped. Not a base model, but not with the top of the line package that includes cruise control and heated grips.
  • Trade In $3600. 2014 BMW F800GT.
  • Out the door with tax and license, etc at $11,883.

First Impressions - the bike is tall for me. I'm touching just with my tippy toes. I'd have to get a lower seat. And with my legs down, the side edges of the seat cut into my thighs. The windscreen is tiny. You can adjust it up and down with a lever. There didn't seem to be any in-between position. The chain...well, looks like a chain. I wish it looked like a belt.

It is interesting to look at a bike and know that you aren't lusting for it. It gives the buyer a definite advantage. Why would I consider one? I like the idea of cornering ABS and cornering traction control. The F900XR also has more suspension travel, which is a benefit with the poor roads in Washington State.

But the bottom line is the bike didn't move me. At all. That's a personal opinion and I know it will move others. I was offered a test ride, and I'll probably take them up on one later when the temps aren't as cold. That could change my opinion. It'll be a fun way to spend an hour or so. But it was getting dark. Rush hour traffic was clogging the roads up, and the roads still have sand from the snow on them. And we still have areas of flooding. It just wasn't a good time.

One of the things that always brings me back to reality is that last figure. $11,883. That doesn't include about $2-3000 in accessories like panniers. My F800GT is looking more attractive all the time.

There was a R1250RS parked next to it. How much? Around $20,000. Plus the accessories and mods. But I think a used RS would be an attractive alternative. And if I really wanted a new bike, I think I'd do some serious looking at the alternatives like the Tracer GT, the Triumph Tiger and the Ducati Multistrada 950.

Chris

#17 ·
I should fess up. It certainly seems like I got a brand new bike. I spent about two hours washing my GT and finding out it is white, not beige and brown. The lower cowl lip was full of fine sand from the roads. The header pipes were crusted over with mud.

And before that, I went searching for a strange noise that made me wonder if my cam chain tensioner was loose. In the process of checking every fastener I could get to, and washing every inch of the bike, I found what may have been the culprit. I rode to a Life Group meeting last night, and the bike sounded smooth and wonderful again.

There's something about being on a clean bike that makes it seem so much better than before.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.