2020 F900 XR Launched at EICMA 2019 - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

11-10-19
    BMW have sadly decided to abandon the belt drive, it would seem, with the replacement of the F 800 GT formally announced as the F 900 XR at EICMA in Italy this week. The 38-page, full spec BMW Press Release PDF is here:

The new BMW F 900 R and F 900 XR
    https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...01997EN/441149

As shown with some options:
    2020 BMW F900 XR - Walkaround - Debut at 2019 EICMA Milan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acgYIuGRa-g

Mostly stock:
    2020 BMW F900 XR - Walkaround - Debut at 2019 EICMA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIn8ZK7ie-k

BMW Motorrad 2020 Models - Fuel Economy WMTC
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

2. ThanksRichard230 thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ric
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    This is not a replacement for the GT, but an extension of the XR line, which is more of a street fighter type M/C. I would buy one of these before I bought a cruiser, but I would not downgrade to a chain drive.

It is still possible that they may make a middle weight GT, with either a belt or shaft drive.

The F800GT is still listed with BMW OZ but is discounted a few thousand dollars. Even so, they must be making a good profit on a bike that has most of the components from 12 years ago.

Real Name
    Mat
    3 Weeks Ago
    It may not be a replacement but the GT has disappeared from the UK configurator, usually a good sign that it has been discontinued. IMHO dropping a light tourer with belt drive is a backward step - if it had been an F900GT with belt drive it would most likely have been my next bike (although I’m really not a fan of the 900XR’s angular styling). I just don’t see the point of having two XR’s just 100cc apart but one has double the HP and more torque for effectively the same weight. Given the choice, shiftcam engine etc I’d pick the 1000XR every day of the week.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

notacop is online The original Schwartz Wald Troll

28 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    " – Intelligent Emergency Call "

Well, well boys and grils, BIG BROTHER is watching you.
    Subtle, but real conspiracy believers can see through that. Info fed to the secret police and the Ins Co's...for a price probably. BMW doesn't do anything for gratis.
    They can take that keyless fob and shove it up their....fundamental orifice.
    And quit crying about the chain. A good well maintained chain can last longer than some folks got out of their belt.
    Only 105 hp? redicurus. Anything less than 125 is insufficient. Some other makers 600's get 125 hp.
    Less than 4 gallon fuel tanks. Guess they don't want you getting too far.
    If they want my honest opinion they can let me put 100K miles on it for them. The XR looks pretty nifty in white, The red is nice too.

Real Name
    Rich
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Indeed a good point- chains and sprockets are pretty good these days, if maintained. I still prefer a belt because there is no maintenance. I just part exchanged my 2013 GT for a 2018 GT with 1000 miles on the clock. Had considered waiting to see what the new 900 XR looked like but I'm happy with the decision to get another GT. That XR does look good, just not my kind of bike. It's going to have a lot of competition from the Yamaha Tracer, which is more powerful and quite a bit cheaper.

11-10-19
    I concur that the XR is not a replacement for the GT in my eyes, regradless what BMW might want. For me, it is the loss of a clean, maintenace-free belt, frame-mounted mirrors and reasonable weather protection on a light bike.

In the last year or so, I have dropped back from my annual 40,000 mile all-weather commute, now working from home most days, but am finished with previous years of chain mess and scottoilers. I can change the GT belt in 20 minutes. Also, as bar-mounted mirrors are a universal fitment, they have a habit of getting stolen.

On this 2019 R 1250 RS UK launch review, the BMW designer indicated that they expected the sales volumes to be low and we know that the F800GT annual sales were also very low, so I can imagine BMW wanting to consolidate those customers.

Real Name
    Derek
    04-22-20
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    The F800GT and almost all classic sport tourers are dead.

The Adventure and sport adventure bikes have replaced the classic sports tourer in the market.

Luckily BMW still makes the R1250RS but that is simply because hat it shares the drivetrain and frame with the R and GS

Very disappointed with them not including the belt drive, but as others have said the current chains are pretty good and require very little maintenance.

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The XR is a nice bike in either the 900cc version, or the 1000cc version.

Here's some things I've noticed.
    • Suspension travel is more on the XR than the GT. I like that. The roads in the Seattle area are horrible.
    • More power in the XR models. That's a plus and a minus. It's always fun to have more power...but I'm already riding too fast on occasion. More power will just entice me to use it to pass in situations that I'd never consider before. Do I really "need" more power? Nah. A friend has a S1000R and his rear tire is shot at 3000 miles. If I have it, I'll use it...and probably kill myself in the process.
    • The XR has less fairing. The GT's fairing doesn't look like much, but it pushes the air to the side just enough. The XR's fairing doesn't look like it does much for the lower body...and will that windscreen do anything for the upper body? I want a bike that I can do 10 hour days on, day after day.
    • I thought that putting the gas tank under the seat was a selling feature for the F800's. That it put the CG lower for better handling. Why is it back up high? And that's a selling feature now?

You can "tour" on any bike. But there are some things that will make it a better experience, and I'm not convinced that the XR will be better.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

12. LikesSundog52, Stevie liked this post

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I think it is a replacement in the model lineup but they didn't sell many of the Gas so changing a few bits and the style to reposition with the S1000XR which has been a big seller for BMW. I like the belt but can live with a chain, the chain would make me less nervous on gravel roads and would likely take some gravel roads when on trips in the western states. More suspension travel would be nice. Funny part though is when I first rode the F800GT and riding 600 super sports I thought the suspension was very soft and plush. Looks like 0-60 acceleration is down to 3.6 from 4 for the F800GT which is faster but not dramatically. I'm at least a year away from a new(er) bike and looking at the F900XR I have to consider the cost. Yes I could buy a new one but when comparing the cost how does it compare to a 2019 S1000XR with only 160HP. Then have to consider the Tracer GT which costs less. I have heard different things about the Tracer but have to realize some of the older criticisms are about the older models before they stretched the swingers 2 inches. Also the new 2020 Ninja 1000SR or whatever it is called. Those I4s certainly have a very nice sound! Also have to stop and think about gas mileage, F900XR has only a 4.1gallon tank (don't forget that huge increase of 0.1 gallons). However the Rotax engine can be very fuel efficient with a little control of the right wrist. It is a tough decision so will have to see. With the Tracer GT I would just buy it and maybe have the 600mile service done but do all other service myself - its not that hard and Yamaha doesn't have German engineers inventing special tools. BMW has a very nice warranty but I tend to get the service done because of that.

Everything I see compares the F900XR with the F850GS and nothing about the F800GT. IMPO the marketing folks don't want the new model tainted with the reputation of the F800GT as it sold very poorly. At the end of the day how does it ride? If it has good balance, weight is not too high and has the same great turn in and tracking of the F800GT I would be happy. Goes without saying all day comfort is a must. Interestingly the Tracer GT has cruse control which it seems the BMW does not. Well at least I have some time to ponder.

04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Ooohhh, I like the XR...

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    BMW T1000GT 950cc triple w/ 110HP, belt-drive, ABS Pro, Dynamic ESA, heated grips, adjustable & heated seat, electrically adjustable full height screen, lean but effective fairing & side cases, sporting lines & paint scheme w/ more neutral ergos (ala RT) all in a 520lb package fully fueled w/ empty side cases. Instead BMW spends resources on this wonder which will be sure to sell at least one copy to Jay Leno and maybe a handful to others:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmw_concept_r18_2-1024x768.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	350025

Real Name
    Kev
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    I just part exchanged my 2013 GT for a 2018 GT with 1000 miles on the clock.
    Excellent choice. Have you taken delivery yet? Looking forward to seeing pics or updated avatar

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    @Noel, I think your dream bike may have come about. 900ccs. 105 hp. And all the options you are looking for.

Chris

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Really? Belt drive, electric screen? Show me!

Real Name
    Rich
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Yes Kev, I need to change my avatar and get some pics up. Bought it at the beginning of September and only ridden 50 miles on it so far. Have been away a lot with work. It's the blue one. I had considered waiting for the "replacement" to come out before changing bikes. But in the end, the GT suits me very well. Enough power, comfortable and I like the way it looks. Plus I have an aversion to chains. Yes I know modern chains are good but they still need maintenance. Belt works for me so I thought I'd get another GT and now looking forward to putting some miles on it.

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Really? Belt drive, electric screen? Show me!
    Ah...I missed the belt drive. But the electric screen isn't needed. When you watch the BMW rep move it with one hand, it can be adjusted on the fly.

Chris

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Ah...I missed the belt drive. But the electric screen isn't needed. When you watch the BMW rep move it with one hand, it can be adjusted on the fly.

Chris
    Not for me my friend--I really enjoy fine control of the windscreen with my THUMB and won't trade that in as long as I can handle the RT. R1200RS had the hand adjusted 'faux' windscreen but no way for me. I'm spoiled. The main issue that will kill me being able to continue to ride the RT is loss of balance. And when that happens I won't be riding any 2-wheeler. As I've said it does not take strength to ride a motorcycle especially at 6'4" tall--it's balance, finesse & maintaining exquisite attention that is demanded. If I could do that on 520lbs instead of 620lbs with all else being equal yes I'd go there for sure. However I would not trade in an electric screen even for 100lbs! I do really miss the belt drive's elegance and efficiency though and so that would have to be part of the mix for dreamcycle also. Which is why I'm 110% certain I'll never see my dreamcycle! Sad--I'm really certain the market would be there for what is in my mind. But alas it only lives in my mind. Fortunately RT remains a fantastic machine for me and just turning 42K miles and have been blessed with no problems thus far. I hooked up with a new friend here in Colorada and we are just now starting to think contemplate tour plans for next year so who knows maybe we will head your way

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    ... I hooked up with a new friend here in Colorada and we are just now starting to think contemplate tour plans for next year so who knows maybe we will head your way
    I'll undoubtedly keep what I have. The cheap side of me looks at the incremental benefit of the new F900XR and the huge cost to get that incremental benefit and says "nah". I do like the cornering ABS and traction control. But I can dial back my throttle and alleviate the "need" for that.

Besides, James (jtvisions) and I went to look at a F800GT last week and gosh, the prices have come down a lot. You get a lot of bike for that cost, and I like what I have a lot. If I wreck or have my GT stolen, I think I'd just look for another. Few people put the miles on them that I seem to, so what is out there on the used market are just barely broken in models.

I'm booked for June as it stands now. I'll be home for only a couple days between one rally and the next. There's probably enough miles in the trips I have on the calendar to require a tire change somewhere in between. I'll have to sort that out between now and then. But otherwise, I'd love to meet up with you again. It was fun...even if you do have an electric windscreen.

Chris

Real Name
    Rich
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    The electric screen on my old R1200RT was great. You could fine tune it to get optimal performance in terms of buffeting and wind blast. The GT screen does buffet me a little but the trade off is a much lighter, more manageable bike. Guess you can't have everything as they say.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Balance? I test rode a 1250 RS and it was so well balanced I swear you could put both feet on the pegs at a standstill and it wouldn't fall over. OK...a little bit of an exaggeration, but it really was well balanced...the best I'd ever felt.

But the windscreen was awful...worse than the GT's OEM screen. LOUD! That can be fixed, of course (VStream). Maybe when I tire of the GT and RR (years from now), this will be my next bike.

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Interesting, thanks for the info. Have a friend with a 1250RS, he came from a 1200GS and really likes the RS. For me balance and light weight really come to the forefront on the long trips I've taken. Typically stay at KOAs which seem to always have graver roads with some even having hills and gravel. Last trip one KOA had just replenished the gravel. As I was pulling into the campground there was a turn and I skated the front wheel just a bit! Didn't go down or get close but doubled the heart rate! after that wasn't too bad but defiantly glad to be on a well balance bike. Also find that as the trip goes on I get much better at low speed maneuvering with a fully loaded bike. The new bikes out there are really interesting but I find myself drawn back to the F800GT because of what it does well and it's light weight (relatively).

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'd suggest a test ride of a RS. The phrase, "the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence" comes to mind.

I thought the RS was a great bike. I took one out twice for about an hour and a half each time. I did like it. It is a very nice bike.

But as I rode it, I noticed the windscreen and thought to myself that I'd have to get a solution to that...and thought of how I already had that solved on the bike I was riding already. And my cursory look on the RS forum left me feeling like a lot of other owners were searching for a solution and hadn't found a surefire solution.

And as it had things like the Dynamic ride mode where it adjusts the suspension as you ride for the surface you're on, I was looking for an improvement over the GT's OEM suspension. I actually thought it felt harsher, like I was feeling every bump in the road. About what putting the GT into Sport mode would feel like. Not really an improvement at all. That surprised me.

I put it through its paces on one of the twistier roads nearby and thought the RS handled great. In fact, I thought it handled better than the RT, which seemed disconnected to me. But I came away wondering how much of a difference there would be if I was to time the same stretch of road on both bikes. Which would be quicker? My seat of the pants evaluation said it was even. Both the RS and the GT were great bikes to fling through corners with abandon.

So I came away with the feeling that both bikes were great and satisfied the same need...for a sport-touring bike that leaned toward the sport side more than the touring side of the equation. And I felt the RS would be a better fit for someone a little taller than I am....more towards the 6 foot height...simply because the ergonomics tended to spread things out more in the rider triangle. If I didn't have the GT, and if it didn't fit me as well as it does, the RS was a really good choice.

But in the end it came down to the same old question...what advantage do I get with the new bike over the old bike? And at what cost? The answer in my mind was that I would be spending thousands to get back to the same level of comfort and performance that I already had. And for what? To get the pistons sticking out on the sides as crash guards? That didn't make any sense.

As the cost of buying a low-mileage F800GT continues to decline...and the cost of a new improved BMW continues to climb, even to exceeding the cost of cars...the benefits of keeping what I have increase dramatically.

Chris

27. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Gerry
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    I went to the IMS show in NYC yesterday and sat on the F900. I have to admit, there is really a lot to like about it. Not trading my F8 for one but if i did not have the F8, I would be giving it a fair look. Pricing not announced, but I would estimate in the $15-$16K range if it is going to slot around other models. I would guess it will be a very successful model. Lots of people in line to check it out.

The BMW booth appeared to be the busiest at the NY show though each year there are fewer manufacturers present. No Triumph, KTM, Indian, Moto Guzzi. RevZilla was there offering 20% off which was great but I had not planned to buy anything so did not get any budget pre-approvals from Mrs Meteor.

Also, the R9T has been nice but not something I would buy. That being said the R9T/5 50th Anniversary really struck a note with me. Also looked well done.

https://www.brakemycar.com/bmw-rnine...s-plants-50th/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191206_161855.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	351261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191206_161839.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	351263
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l 2016 GSX S1000 (Naked & Blue)
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

29. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    58 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    My local dealer has one R9T 50th Anniversary in stock that lit my fire. . . . not enought to buy it.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Went by the KTM dealer yesterday and looked (briefly) at the KTM 790 Adventure. I was very impressed with how light it was, the low mounted gas tank really made a difference. It probably didn't have any gas in it but still impresses. It was marked $12,499 but didn't have heated grips and cruse control. More of a F750GS competitor and would take it over the F750 as it has 95HP. I could see replacing the F800GT with one of those. At least a year out on a new bike but always looking. The Mrs. doesn't understand the need to constantly look at motorcycles and ponder a new one.

32. LikesTheMeteor liked this post

04-03-20
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOz View Post
    This is not a replacement for the GT, but an extension of the XR line, which is more of a street fighter type M/C. I would buy one of these before I bought a cruiser, but I would not downgrade to a chain drive.

It is still possible that they may make a middle weight GT, with either a belt or shaft drive.

The F800GT is still listed with BMW OZ but is discounted a few thousand dollars. Even so, they must be making a good profit on a bike that has most of the components from 12 years ago.
    Why does motor cycle manufacturers always assume that people enjoy the maintenance including chains.I havnt got much spare time and i could not think of anything worse than being outside in feb pissing around with a chain..give me a belt anyday. I would buy that new f900xr if it had a belt but alas I am now homeless when it comes to BMW.

34. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Rich
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I had a look round the new XR the other week. On paper, it seems to alleviate some of my small issues with the GT. It has a much lighter clutch, more upright bars and adjustable screen. In addition, the large digital display and ability to change from mph to km/h would make determining road speed much easier. I was sorely tempted. Having thought about it some more though, I wouldn't want to go back to chain maintenance and continuously cleaning the back suspension and roadwheel. Also, although the XR is, in my eyes quite an attractive bike, I think I still prefer the proper fairing and look of the GT. Think I'll be keeping mine for a while yet.

Real Name
    Bill
    58 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I had a look round the new XR the other week. On paper, it seems to alleviate some of my small issues with the GT. It has a much lighter clutch, more upright bars and adjustable screen. In addition, the large digital display and ability to change from mph to km/h would make determining road speed much easier. I was sorely tempted. Having thought about it some more though, I wouldn't want to go back to chain maintenance and continuously cleaning the back suspension and roadwheel. Also, although the XR is, in my eyes quite an attractive bike, I think I still prefer the proper fairing and look of the GT. Think I'll be keeping mine for a while yet.
    +1

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 SV650
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I've got a serious question about chain maintenance, how long do you 'think' it takes? I spend more time washing my bikes each month than I do messing with the chains, especially with a center stand. I use chain wax that doesn't make a mess and I still get great life out of my chains (15k-20k miles). I do it once a month when I wash the bikes and it only adds 10 minutes to the washing process. I get that a belt is zero maintenance, I've had a few belt drive bikes, I just think it's a complete non-issue. I spend more time getting gas each month than this.

Real Name
    Rich
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I guess the chain maintenance would depend on how many miles you ride, the climate you ride in and how fastidious you are with the maintenance. All the rain in the UK means that the chain requires more maintenance than in some other climates - especially in winter with all the grit and salt on our roads (it forms a wonderful grinding paste). The point is well made however - modern o-ring chains and lubricants need less maintenance and it would be interesting to know how long people spend on that dependent on climate and mileage. I haven't ridden a chain drive bike since 2002, and I've become accustomed to not worrying about cleaning, lubing and carrying a can of chain wax when on tour. Although I do inspect the belt for damage every now and then. The belt drive does always seem to be a talking point for admirers when the bike is parked up, and I think that single sided swing arm is a work of art.

Real Name
    Bill
    58 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    My last chain drive bike was in 1982. And last is the operative word in that sentence.

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 SV650
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Ok, I get it for rain/salt environments, but there are solutions for that too. The Scottoiler automatic chain oilers have been used by a number of people to set and forget, i.e. no cleaning or oiling, just top off the reservoir every few weeks/months. Harsh environments still see the life that I do, ideal environments may see double my mileage. They are popular in the dualsport and dirt bike scenes because they work so well in harsh environments. I just feel like people are ignoring so many good bikes because they won't touch anything that isn't belt or shaft.

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I really wonder which bike I'd buy if they were side-by-side and both were new. The latest version of the GT had the ride-by-wire and some of the extra electronic "features" that fall into the category of "eye-candy" to me. I think there's a feeling that we have to buy the "replacement" for the GT...when in fact the XR isn't the replacement at all.

I remember test riding the Yamaha FJ-09 when it came out, and then getting on the F800GT right afterwards. The FJ just didn't grab me. I sat on it, and the angular lines on the dash didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I got on the F800GT, and it fit me like a glove. I felt comfortable on it, even though it was a stock model without the handlebar risers or lowered footpegs.

Looking at the bike, I felt the same thing as RHD did above. I like the "proper fairing and look of the GT". I don't like the transformer look. I like the smooth full fairing look, and when sitting on the bike, it does an amazing job of moving the air away from me...just enough. It's not the huge fairing of an RT, but it does a good job of giving the rider a good place to cover hundreds of miles in a day.

While I'm mentioning the FJ-09, the newer Tracer GT, Multistrada 950 and Tiger 900 all fit the same category as the F900XR. It's not a "sport-touring" category. It is an "adventure-touring" category.

If I could keep from getting lured in by the electronic bells and whistles, I think I'd buy the F800GT, even if the price was the same. And when you figure that a F800GT is about half the price of any of them now, the choice is simple.

Chris

Real Name
    Bill
    58 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    It boils down to different strokes for different folks. Because I like shaft or belt drive I don't feel everbody should feel the same way. Buy what works for you.

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 SV650
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I agree that I don't think the XR is a replacement for any of the pre existing 800s, it's something entirely new Adventure Touring is as good a name as any. I'm not even sure I'd put it in the same category as those other bikes considering the 17" front wheel. I've heard a few people describe it as a great replacement for the 800gs or 850gs once you realize you're never taking it offroad. I'm not even sure it's an equal comparison to a Tracer with 1" more travel and no IMU on the Tracer.

04-06-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Looking at the bike, I felt the same thing as RHD did above. I like the "proper fairing and look of the GT". I don't like the transformer look. I like the smooth full fairing look, and when sitting on the bike, it does an amazing job of moving the air away from me...just enough. It's not the huge fairing of an RT, but it does a good job of giving the rider a good place to cover hundreds of miles in a day.
    Chris
    Couldn't agree more.

As someone who rides with a pillion all of the time, I don't think my other half would welcome being covered by road spray all up her back when it's raining. What has happened to modern ? bikes. The front mudguard is all but useless, would need an enormous extender, and the rear is similar. I have had to put a front mudguard extender on my bike otherwise the engine would be a corroded mess from all of the stone chippings thrown up from the country lanes that I ride on.At least with the panniers on and the fairing there is some weather protection.

It's not just BMW though, looking at the Moto Guzzi V85 TT, they haven't even bothered with any sort of mudguard near to the wheel, I know it's meant to be an off-road bike but how many are ridden off road.

Real Name
    Richard
    5 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Filonian View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

As someone who rides with a pillion all of the time, I don't think my other half would welcome being covered by road spray all up her back when it's raining. What has happened to modern ? bikes. The front mudguard is all but useless, would need an enormous extender, and the rear is similar. I have had to put a front mudguard extender on my bike otherwise the engine would be a corroded mess from all of the stone chippings thrown up from the country lanes that I ride on.At least with the panniers on and the fairing there is some weather protection.

It's not just BMW though, looking at the Moto Guzzi V85 TT, they haven't even bothered with any sort of mudguard near to the wheel, I know it's meant to be an off-road bike but how many are ridden off road.

Those are my feelings, exactly. After buying a new motorcycle you need to then visit the aftermarket to purchase a fender extender and a rear wheel cover to keep the gorp off of the front of the engine, the rear suspension and your passenger. Very irritating and unnecessary!. How about giving us some real mud guards and let us hacksaw them off if we don't like the looks. The plastic front fender on my R12RS is so weak that it will not even support the stress of a plastic extender and you need to buy an entire plastic shroud to cover the front of the engine case to keep it from pitting.

However, my Royal Enfield Bullet has a set of real mud guards and when riding in the rain with that bike you really come to appreciate the value of a full fender design. And it really doesn't look all that bad, either.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Chuck
    1 Week Ago
    I've looked on the internet concerning this "bike" and can't find anything. Is this a local joke in the BMW world or a bike that was rumored and never brought to market, or what. If it's real it would be very interesting to learn about.

Chuckersconnie

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 SV650
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckersconnie View Post
    I've looked on the internet concerning this "bike" and can't find anything. Is this a local joke in the BMW world or a bike that was rumored and never brought to market, or what. If it's real it would be very interesting to learn about.

Chuckersconnie
    You're kidding right? There are threads and videos all over the internet covering both the F900XR and the F900R. I've test ridden the XR and have one on order. I'd have it right now if the Berlin plant had shut down just a few days later than it did due to the bug going around.

Real Name
    Chuck
    1 Week Ago
    It was my mistake not to mention the bike I was referring to was the BMW T1000GT. It is or was suppose to be a 105 hp, parallel triple, belt driven, sport touring bike with all the goodies and a curb weight w/ side cases of 520 lbs. I've seen plenty on the XR but always stop when it gets to the part about chain drive. Don't like it and don't want it. I'd as soon go beck to my old 1000cc Kawasaki Concours.

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 SV650
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckersconnie View Post
    It was my mistake not to mention the bike I was referring to was the BMW T1000GT.
    Ah yes, saying that would have made a difference. About 5 minutes worth of google searching and I'm confident saying this was the work of someone on this thread making a wish list and well, you know how the internet works

19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    LOL that's good. I remember seeing something like that. I would like the F800GT with the engine from the Tracer GT. I like the belt drive but don't want the weight or power loss from a shaft drive. I've put lots of miles on chain drives, including numerous 500 to 600 mile days. I wasn't obsessive about chain maintenance but kept it clean and lubed. Long trips are not too bad, few minutes at the end of the day, spray some lube on and wipe it off. A good cleaning on return. Ive done several miles on dirt/gravel roads on the F800GT. I was very good IMO. Worried about the belt drive but miners were good. My dirt bike experience wasn't much and was waaaaay back in the last century so consider it zero. F800GT, even loaded is an easy bike to balance but there are roads that I won't take. Gravel roads in western states like Nebraska, Wyoming and Idaho. A F900XR would be more suited for that.

Sitting at home with CV gives me too much time to think and too much time for temptation. Every now and then think about calling up the dealer and saying let me trade my F800GT on the F900XR. Then an image of an unhappy wife pops into my head and I hesitate. Why did BMW ship the firs XRs with no center stand and no heated grips?